Rangemaster TAC-CON 2024: Plan NOW!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 4

Rangemaster TAC-CON 2024: Plan NOW!

Post by oljames3 »

TAC-CON 2024 will be held at the Dallas Pistol Club over the last weekend in March, 2023. Now is the time to plan and prepare. Registration is $565. Tickets for 2023 sold out less than 4 days. If you want to attend, start on April 1 daily checking the TAC-CON website. https://taccon.info/
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

flechero

Re: Rangemaster TAC-CON 2024: Plan NOW!

Post by flechero »

You think it's safe to assume 4/1 before checking the sign ups for 24? Last year it was a 3-4? week lag from event to next sign up.

I'm not on FB (nor the 2 guys I go with each year) so it's a real chore to check daily. (I hate that they announce via FB, even though we are all on an email list.

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

flechero wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:14 pm You think it's safe to assume 4/1 before checking the sign ups for 24? Last year it was a 3-4? week lag from event to next sign up.

I'm not on FB (nor the 2 guys I go with each year) so it's a real chore to check daily. (I hate that they announce via FB, even though we are all on an email list.
TAC-CON 2022 registration opened 15 April. You can check the TAC-CON web page https://taccon.info/, but the first announcement goes out on Facebook.

I check daily starting 1 April. I will announce on this Forum as soon as I get notified.

The host hotel also fills up quickly. 2022 and 2023 sold out in hours. All of the early announcements are on Facebook.
Last edited by oljames3 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

So I'm curious. For those of you that have attended Tac-Con, how does it compare, as far as the learning experience, to a regular 2-3 day firearms class? The closest experience I've had to this was when the NRA Show was in Dallas and there were multiple 2 hour "seminars". Just trying to gauge what can be captured in these short training blocks. Granted, I like the idea that it's local for me and they have some trainers that are not normally in this area that I otherwise would have to traveled to.

Paladin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Paladin »

2023 will be my first TAC-CON and I'm looking forward to it. There are a ton of great instructors in the lineup. The comments I hear from previous attendee's is mostly the disappointment that with so many great classes going on simultaneously that they can't attend all the ones they want to. You have to pick and choose... which is not an easy task.

They make you pick your top choices for live fire classes, you only get one of those, and you are not guaranteed to get what you want. For me, so far that has been the biggest disappointment... as there are many instructors I would like to do live fire training with, as opposed to classroom lectures that I see a lot of online.

There is a competition held as well, but honestly Dallas Pistol Club has competitions every single weekend at a much lower cost so my personal interest level is low on that. Time with quality instructors is worth a lot more to me.

Overall probably a lot less range time than a typical 3 day training class.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Paladin, at TAC-CON 2022, I attended 4 live fire classes totaling 10 hours of live fire training. Also, 14 hours of classroom training. Yes, the hard part is attending all of the classes you want to attend, but everyone can get 24 hours of training.

Topic author
oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:16 pm So I'm curious. For those of you that have attended Tac-Con, how does it compare, as far as the learning experience, to a regular 2-3 day firearms class? The closest experience I've had to this was when the NRA Show was in Dallas and there were multiple 2 hour "seminars". Just trying to gauge what can be captured in these short training blocks. Granted, I like the idea that it's local for me and they have some trainers that are not normally in this area that I otherwise would have to traveled to.
Jose, take a look at the current and past TAC-CON schedules and course descriptions. https://taccon.info/course-descriptions/ Yes, it is a different experience from a weekend class that covers a limited topic.

8 hours of classes each day. Last year I attended 10 hours of live fire and 14 hours of classroom. My first class on Friday was 4 hours and 200 rounds of red-dot instruction with Scott Jedlinkski and Tim Herron. The classroom sessions usually have significant Q&A. And then there is the chance to get physical in Ceil Burch or Craig Douglas hands-on classes. You have the opportunity to tailor 24 hours of instruction to your goals and experience training with nationally recognized trainers with whom you may not otherwise be able to train. These instructors are selected and invited by Tom Givens because they are among the best in the nation. They can pack an incredible amount of knowledge to a two or four hour class.
Last edited by oljames3 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

oljames3 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:30 am Paladin, at TAC-CON 2022, I attended 4 live fire classes totaling 10 hours of live fire training. Also, 14 hours of classroom training. Yes, the hard part is attending all of the classes you want to attend, but everyone can get 24 hours of training.
That's good to hear! From their communications it sounded like I could ask for my top five and "hope to shoot live-fire at TacCon". I requested 5 but have no idea what I'll get.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Thanks everybody for the feedback. I've thought about/tried to attend the past 3 years and I think I'll try to make the next available one, 2024? Can't beat the price and really no excuses for missing it since it's local.

flechero

Post by flechero »

If you can get in, it's $500 well spent on training and Edu. I only get a few weekends a year to get away so while I want to focus on certain things- it's hard justify an entire weekend on any single class or topic. And the shorter blocks allow each of the trainers to give you the best and most helpful parts of larger classes.
Paladin wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:12 pm 2023 will be my first TAC-CON and I'm looking forward to it. There are a ton of great instructors in the lineup. The comments I hear from previous attendee's is mostly the disappointment that with so many great classes going on simultaneously that they can't attend all the ones they want to. You have to pick and choose... which is not an easy task.
While true there aren't guarantees on your live fire blocks- they limit you to 4 or 5 choices so that they can get the vast majority of people into their chosen classes. (and most classes are repeated a couple times) Last year I listed my top 5 and got 4 of them. (and then we were allowed to walk in to repeat class that only had like 12 people signed up)

Read the descriptions carefully- there is definitely overlap in some courses so that helps narrow choices a bit.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I got live fire courses with Gabe White, Wayne Dobbs, and John Murphy. All highly recommended instructors. Very much looking forward to it!!

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Early registration opened up today. Finally bit the bullet and registered rather than procrastinating for a change. Not sure how soon regular registration will open but I'd start keeping an eye on it now. I think I heard Lee Weems talking about it sold out in 3 days last year so don't be a me and procrastinate. Now to decide if I'll get a room at the host hotel or not.

flechero

Post by flechero »

General registration opened about 5 min ago!

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Got my ticket. Thanks!

flechero

Post by flechero »

A buddy texted me a little while ago- they are already sold out and on a waitlist! :shock:

That's like 13 hours to sell out. And they opened at 6pm on a Sunday night!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”