TSA Seizes Record Number Of Guns At Airport Security Checkpoints

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paladin »

Looks like a record number of people are carrying, unfortunately too many of them to the airport:

As of last Friday, TSA agents found 6,301 firearms, with more than 88% loaded, surpassing the previous record of 5,972 guns detected in 2021. Closing out the year, the agency expects a total of 6,600 firearms to be seized, a 10% increase over 2021's record level. 
Word to the wise, make sure you aren't carrying into the secured area of an airport
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Re: TSA Seizes Record Number Of Guns At Airport Security Checkpoints

Post by Scott in Houston »

My best friend did this. He has an LTC which kept him from getting arrested, etc. but it cost him a decent fine. I think it was $2K.

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AF-Odin »

I always emphasize to my students that if you are carrying, you should ALWAYS know where the firearm is, what condition it is in, and NOT carry into a known prohibited place. We go over extensively how to legally fly with a firearm and what parts of airports are prohibited.

Had a colleague several years ago that accidentally left an empty magazine in his carry-on (firearm and ammunition were packed IAW TSA requirements). This was in VA, not TX. He was pulled out of line, temporarily handcuffed while they did a very complete search of him and his carry-on bag. He was released, but the magazine was confiscated. He received a very nasty letter from TSA, but no fine--however, was told if it happened again, there would be a hefty fine.

Check, check, and re-check your stuff before going to the airport and if travelling with a firearm, read and adhere to the "TSA Flying with a firearm" information. :tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:03 pm I always emphasize to my students that if you are carrying, you should ALWAYS know where the firearm is, what condition it is in, and NOT carry into a known prohibited place. We go over extensively how to legally fly with a firearm and what parts of airports are prohibited.

Had a colleague several years ago that accidentally left an empty magazine in his carry-on (firearm and ammunition were packed IAW TSA requirements). This was in VA, not TX. He was pulled out of line, temporarily handcuffed while they did a very complete search of him and his carry-on bag. He was released, but the magazine was confiscated. He received a very nasty letter from TSA, but no fine--however, was told if it happened again, there would be a hefty fine.

Check, check, and re-check your stuff before going to the airport and if travelling with a firearm, read and adhere to the "TSA Flying with a firearm" information. :tiphat:
om my
i got TSA'ed in salt lake city.around 2005..my work computer and my PDA, no its not a phone got lodged funny in the computer bag, so they pulled me for closer inspection.
telling me to confess and it would be easy. i stated for what? they showed me a pic of my bag and i burst into laughter. and asked if they opened the bag to LOOK.. the pic did look like a bomb with wires and batteries . never let your stuff double stack in a bag :biggrinjester: :anamatedbanana
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I’ve seen a few people caught with guns in their bags. One was a Glock 43 & the other was a Keltec P3AT. Both said they forgot the gun was in there. The Glock guy said it was the 2nd time that’s happened to him. Both were allowed to take it back out to their vehicles.

philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

One time before 9/11,at Hobby in Houston, a man in a suit, no luggage, was coming out of the concourse, before the xray machines, he was carrying in his hand exposed for all to see, vertically with his hand not on the trigger area, a really long barreled cowboy six shooter. The barrel was really long like 12" in length. Looked like an old gun from the rust, etc.

I thought it was the oddest thing. No one seemed alarmed, as he walked like he was suppose to be doing this.

I wondered at the time, confiscated? A test for the xray crew?

To this day very strange to me.

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paladin »

philip964 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:54 pm One time before 9/11,at Hobby in Houston, a man in a suit, no luggage, was coming out of the concourse, before the xray machines, he was carrying in his hand exposed for all to see, vertically with his hand not on the trigger area, a really long barreled cowboy six shooter. The barrel was really long like 12" in length. Looked like an old gun from the rust, etc.

I thought it was the oddest thing. No one seemed alarmed, as he walked like he was suppose to be doing this.

I wondered at the time, confiscated? A test for the xray crew?

To this day very strange to me.
They know you need a gun with at least a 12 inch barrel in that part of town, :lol::
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

AF-Odin wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:03 pmHad a colleague several years ago that accidentally left an empty magazine in his carry-on (firearm and ammunition were packed IAW TSA requirements). This was in VA, not TX. He was pulled out of line, temporarily handcuffed while they did a very complete search of him and his carry-on bag. He was released, but the magazine was confiscated. He received a very nasty letter from TSA, but no fine--however, was told if it happened again, there would be a hefty fine.
I wonder how this would play out now, especially with the recent court rulings that magazines are not arms. A good defense to try if someone makes this type of mistake.
Steve Rothstein

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Scott in Houston »

I wish I could be hired to test the TSA and attempt to get a gun through. I'm 90% sure that I could succeed just based on experiences traveling over the last 30 years. Granted, I think the software is much better than it was in years past to help the folks working for TSA (whose intelligence is not super-duper high on average). :lol:

TxRVer

Post by TxRVer »

I was flying out of Minneapolis and knew why I was being pulled out of line when I saw the Xray image of my laptop bag. A small metal flashlight was sitting at a right angle to the metal in a 3-ring binder. So, I'm sitting at a table putting my boots back on while the TSA agent carefully opens and examines the contents of the bag. :lol:
Charlie

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

I think the next question is: "How many actually go through?" :tiphat:

I think I recall a member here mentioning that he accidentally carried through (without detection)... :tiphat:

philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 91197.html

You not going to believe this.

I do not understand on so many levels.

Peanut butter!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

philip964 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:58 pm https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 91197.html

You not going to believe this.

I do not understand on so many levels.

Peanut butter!
Yeah, well...it wasn't the peanut butter that was the problem. Quoting the article:
They removed two jars of JIF creamy peanut butter from the luggage, each of which contained pieces of a dismantled semi-automatic handgun “artfully concealed inside,” the agency stated.

The parts, including a magazine loaded with .22 caliber bullets, were encased in plastic and shoved into the peanut butter, according to the agency.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Absolutely. Everybody knows you can't use JIF creamy. Gotta go with Skippy extra crunchy peanut butter in order to foil x-ray machines.
:biggrinjester:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

:rolll
Rafe wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:10 pm Absolutely. Everybody knows you can't use JIF creamy. Gotta go with Skippy extra crunchy peanut butter in order to foil x-ray machines.
:biggrinjester:
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”