Padre Island and Galveston

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 8

Padre Island and Galveston

Post by carlson1 »

I have a Pastor friend visiting and he wants to go down towards Galveston and Padre Island. He asked me if it was “gun friendly” down that way. Well I don’t venture far from home so I have no clue. However I told him some of you would.

How friendly is Galveston, Corpus Christi, and Padre Island when it comes to concealed carry? He is a Holiday Inn man so he will be staying in motels along his way.

Any help or advice the next day or two would be great.

Thanks
Carl

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Padre Island and Galveston

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I've been to Galveston quite a few times. Personally, I wouldn't swim in that nasty water but I have seen folks do it. My son and his wife live in Sugarland and they do the beach thing on occasion. Carrying concealed never has been an issue for me anywhere in the Houston area but I carry concealed and concealed is concealed so I don't really care what any hotel does or posts. If I am staying in one, I will be hanged before I disarm and go to sleep in a hotel room. If I ever need to defend myself, I would rather be alive and face trial than dead with everyone talking about what a shame it was that a sign caused my death.

That being said. I mainly responded so I would be notified as folks make posts about fun things to do or places to go in any of the places you listed.

Weldonjr2001

Post by Weldonjr2001 »

Both are totally okay for a concealed carrier with an LTC. The National Seashore as well, except for the occupied buildings, like any National Park. I’ve always had a CHL or LTC since 1996, so don’t know the rules about carrying without one, or open carry. Watch for the 30.06 signs as usual. I’ve seen very few.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

i have never had an issue anywhere on Galveston island concealed carrying. i think downtown Galveston i would feel unsecured at times if not armed
even the state park where we camped, although i didnt walk around the park buildings armed

IMO galveston is better than SPI as far as good food and places to see, oil drilling platform museum , the sailing ship .
moody gardens

except the sea turtle inc and the bird tower on SPI are worth the visit
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:59 am I've been to Galveston quite a few times. Personally, I wouldn't swim in that nasty water but I have seen folks do it. My son and his wife live in Sugarland and they do the beach thing on occasion. Carrying concealed never has been an issue for me anywhere in the Houston area but I carry concealed and concealed is concealed so I don't really care what any hotel does or posts. If I am staying in one, I will be hanged before I disarm and go to sleep in a hotel room. If I ever need to defend myself, I would rather be alive and face trial than dead with everyone talking about what a shame it was that a sign caused my death.

That being said. I mainly responded so I would be notified as folks make posts about fun things to do or places to go in any of the places you listed.
It has been a few years since I was in Galveston and I would not ever think about getting in that water. I don’t even know if I would want to walk on the beach.

My friends wife has never ever been to the coast and they are set on going.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

Galveston surf is safe to swim in unless the Galveston Health District issues warnings. Samples are regularly taken from over 50 sites by the Galveston County Health District, The problems arise after flooding that comes down Trinity bay from the two rivers that empty into it as well as all the creeks and bayous carrying bacteria and other pollutants. I surfed, swam and fished in the surf from the time I was 16 years old from Bolivar to South Padre Island and just about every beach in between. Rented beach houses often and bought one on Bolivar in 1988 that was destroyed along with most of the peninsula by Hurricane Ike. Beach water warnings were rare, in fact I don't recall ever having one while we were there. The most danger is from rip tides, currents at the ends of Galveston island along with jelly fish and man-o-war, but even that is infrequent for swimmers. The surf water can be a little muddy at time, but that's due to the mud bottom bays which are the most productive on the Texas coast. There are also days when you can see your feet in waist deep water. Padre Island is a more beautiful beach experience with whiter sand, but less things to do. But to each his own I say.
Last edited by puma guy on Wed May 17, 2023 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am preaching in San Antonio on May 28 and I don’t know how far it is over to Galveston or Corpus Christi, but my wife and I may take that drive and meet up with my friend and have dinner. My son is working for a local PD up here so he is back home. Don’t tell him, but I am kind of excited he is staying here. It gives us a dog sitter. :lol:

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Speaking of San Antonio I recall something about local knife laws. Is there something the City has that doesn’t match up with the State of Texas.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by puma guy »

I am preaching in San Antonio on May 28 and I don’t know how far it is over to Galveston or Corpus Christi, but my wife and I may take that drive and meet up with my friend and have dinner. My son is working for a local PD up here so he is back home. Don’t tell him, but I am kind of excited he is staying here. It gives us a dog sitter. :lol:
SA to Corpus is about 2½ hours and about 4 hours to Galveston. Gaido's is 1st class for seafood in Galveston; I can't speak for Corpus Christi
carlson1 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:24 pm Speaking of San Antonio I recall something about local knife laws. Is there something the City has that doesn’t match up with the State of Texas.
San Antonio laws as well as laws in 11 other cities voided due to preemption.
https://kniferights.org/legislative-upd ... ct-sept-1/
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

puma guy wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:39 pm
SA to Corpus is about 2½ hours and about 4 hours to Galveston. Gaido's is 1st class for seafood in Galveston; I can't speak for Corpus Christi
carlson1 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:24 pm Speaking of San Antonio I recall something about local knife laws. Is there something the City has that doesn’t match up with the State of Texas.
San Antonio laws as well as laws in 11 other cities voided due to preemption.
https://kniferights.org/legislative-upd ... ct-sept-1/
Thank you. If we decide to go over to Galveston we will definitely hit up the seafood place. My preacher friend owes me a meal. :lol:

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

If you go to Galveston wave as you pass by. Also, Gaido's is as good as mentioned, but I suspect a bit expensive. Another good option is The Original Mexican Cafe at 14th and Market. Delicious Mexican food and in business over 100 years so doing something right. Safe travels.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

LDB415 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:23 am If you go to Galveston wave as you pass by. Also, Gaido's is as good as mentioned, but I suspect a bit expensive. Another good option is The Original Mexican Cafe at 14th and Market. Delicious Mexican food and in business over 100 years so doing something right. Safe travels.
My wife and I celebrated our 38 anniversary yesterday. I think I have her convinced to go a week early since we didn’t go anywhere or do anything for our anniversary. A lot of it depends on how she feels and how many doctor appointments we can run around. Maybe we will get to go. Our friend leaves here in the morning and headed that way. I am not for sure how long he plans on staying.

I will hit the Mexican food place too if we get to come.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

LDB415 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:23 am If you go to Galveston wave as you pass by. Also, Gaido's is as good as mentioned, but I suspect a bit expensive. Another good option is The Original Mexican Cafe at 14th and Market. Delicious Mexican food and in business over 100 years so doing something right. Safe travels.
First and foremost, if you go to Galveston on a weekend the restaurants are packed. Week days are better. Gaido’s is very good but our favorite seafood place is Willie G’s.

I worked in Corpus Christi for 2 years and was disappointed with the seafood restaurant choices for a gulf coast city. Doc’s and Snoopy’s on the island were the best. They are next door to each other.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

If we get to go it will definitely be the week days. I am preaching on Sunday and preparing in a motel room on Saturdays. I miss the busy times and I am happy because I don’t do crowds to good. The crowd at church sometimes worries me. :coolgleamA:

LDB415
Posts in topic: 2

Post by LDB415 »

Congratulations on your anniversary. I hope you have a fun trip as belated celebration. Let us know which places you visited and how you liked them.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”