Pistol mounted optics questions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Pistol mounted optics questions

Post by srothstein »

NotRPB wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:34 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:47 pm What’s the model # of that optic?
NotRPB wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:34 am yes please tell us a model #
some holosun say "solar failsafe" other holosun models are scs- solar charging system I guess
Yes, this one might be a little out of your price range. It lists for 420, but I bought it for about 325 or so at GT Distributors in Austin.

Here is the one I bought, which is specific to the Glock slide:

https://holosun.com/products/reflex-sig ... s-mos.html

Hope that helps.
Steve Rothstein

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:47 pm What’s the model # of that optic?
NotRPB wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:34 am yes please tell us a model #
some holosun say "solar failsafe" other holosun models are scs- solar charging system I guess
Yes, this one might be a little out of your price range. It lists for 412, but I bought it for about 325 or so at GT Distributors in Austin.

Here is the one I bought, which is specific to the Glock slide:

https://holosun.com/products/reflex-sig ... s-mos.html

Hope that helps, even though the web site is very slow to load.
Steve Rothstein

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Trijicon and the industry is now going towards tray mounted batteries. Not sure if Holosun came up with it first, but they certainly jump started the trend. The EPS is one of the next dots I'm considering.

My first dot was the Holosuns with the ACSS Vulcan reticle on it. I like it. But I'm likely moving on because I prefer the circle/dot reticle which the ACSS reticle does not have. It was my first PMO and it helped get me started.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 7

Post by NotRPB »

WAS TOUGH NOT TO BUY THE TWO I STARTED OUT LOOKING AT CHEAP ONES, BUT AFTER READING REVIEWS LIKE "THEY WERE GREAT AS LONG AS THEY WORKED & " i LIKED IT UNTIL IT BROKE...& the glass flew out, and the battery wire broke and the thing no longer holds zero and other things that occurred after use ...

i looked at & really liked the SCS models with the low profile allowing me to use my custom sights I already installed as a co-witness, but I don't see an SCS model for RMSc mounts yet (Toro uses RMSC or K mounts natively ... maybe they'll make one soon

It's my first time using optics on a pistol .. I own two GX4 pistols, only one was cut for optics but i might buy a second Gx4 TORO slide for the non-TORO one, & get a SCS model next year if they'll make one to fit K or RMSC TORO mounts with my huge cost of living increase on social security since there's hardly any inflation (kidding)

I BIT THE BULLET GOT THE
Holosun EPS Carry MRS Green Dot 32 MOA Circle 2 MOA Dot Solar Failsafe - EPS-CARRY-GR-MRS

Enclosed green multiple reticle (circle + dot) with solar panel, side battery tray, no plate adapter required for my Taurus gx4 TORO

SOME PLACES PRICE MATCH OR MAKE OFFERS ... LEAVE IT IN CART, EMAIL THEM, NEGOTIATE

ONE OFFERED $359 IF YOU APPLY FOR THEIR CREDIT CARD& GET APPROVED.
ANOTHER $395 PLUS TAX USE ANY CREDIT CARD
ANOTHER $402 CAN USE PAYPAL ( ONE OF MY CARDS GIVES 5% CASH BACK IF I USE PAYPAL
look for

FREE UPS SHIPPING FULLY INSURED
🍌 NO SALES TAX unless you live in PA/NC/OH/VA/GA
🍌 We price match, reach out to us
Then all you have to do is download the sales & use tax form from the Secretary of State and pay the sales tax like you're supposed to :thumbs2:

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Vol Texan »

Well, I've taken all the advice I saw here, and it did help me with my decisions.
Here's what I ended up getting for my new EDC:
  • Walther PDP Full Size with a 5-inch slide + four 18-round mags
  • Holosun 507C with 2 MOA red dot + a 32 MOA ring reticle
  • Crossbreed Founder's series IWB holster
IMG_0776.jpg
IMG_0777.jpg
So far, I love the setup. It's easy for me to carry, and very easy to find my reticle quickly when presenting the firearm.
I'm searching for a good leather OWB holster with snap loops for easy on-off of the belt, similar to the holsters that RD Warren used to make (see photo below) - but I've not found that just yet.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments. Y'all helped a lot!

78456278_126544882125094_6334049469847306240_n.jpg
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Vol Texan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:54 pm Well, I've taken all the advice I saw here, and it did help me with my decisions.
Here's what I ended up getting for my new EDC:
  • Walther PDP Full Size with a 5-inch slide + four 18-round mags
  • Holosun 507C with 2 MOA red dot + a 32 MOA ring reticle
  • Crossbreed Founder's series IWB holster
IMG_0776.jpgIMG_0777.jpg

So far, I love the setup. It's easy for me to carry, and very easy to find my reticle quickly when presenting the firearm.
I'm searching for a good leather OWB holster with snap loops for easy on-off of the belt, similar to the holsters that RD Warren used to make (see photo below) - but I've not found that just yet.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments. Y'all helped a lot!

78456278_126544882125094_6334049469847306240_n.jpg
Looks great. Congratulations.

Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rafe »

Very nice! :cheers2:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Great choice on the PDP. If I wasn't so deeply ingrained in the Glock world, it would be my choice for a home/carry gun. Great ergonomics, dot ready, I like the way they have two frame sizes and that the 3 different slide lengths can swap in between them, and it has a great stock trigger.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

This is a pistol and red dot set up that I bought last year to give my daughter. A SCCY DVG-1 9mm and Riton X3 Tactix MPRD 2 Micro Red Dot 3MOA - 3TMPRD2. The pistol when purchased wasn't milled for a red dot, but SCCY offered a milled slide for less than 90 bucks. I made some inquiries about the Riton on some forums and youtube channels with positive feedback, so I gave it a try. I asked about the Riton on a pistol optic forum, but only got negative reactions that only the elite brands were worth trying. Circumstances has prevented getting to the range, but I had to pickup a little .22 rifle I won on auction and transfers at my favorite indoor range, Marksman, includes free range time so I used it to shoot the pistol. I only put 20 rounds through it to check function, trigger and see whit adjustments were needed for zero. I put 10 shots just shooting offhand at 10 yards and the started more purposeful aimed shots. Trigger took, some getting used to but it wasn't bad. I checked it with my scale when I bought it but can't recall what it was, felt like 5-6 lbs to day My 10yrd offhand were not great so I backed the target to 7 yards and used the divider to steady my aim which is the group in the picture. Six shots in center.

The other holes are off hand and some random trigger tests
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”