Don't forget to carry Friday.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Don't forget to carry Friday.

Post by Paladin »

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

OneGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Don't forget to carry Friday.

Post by OneGun »

Amen!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

ajwakeboarder

Post by ajwakeboarder »

My wife's a teacher. She has a student that isn't coming to school tomorrow because of "the war". Its a little bit concerning...
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chasfm11 »

ajwakeboarder wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:17 pm My wife's a teacher. She has a student that isn't coming to school tomorrow because of "the war". Its a little bit concerning...
Normally, I scoff at the JTBS (Just to be safe) crowd. They are the ones who wear masks in a car when they are driving alone or recoil from the idea of being anywhere near a gun because it might accidentally go off. They are the ones who got every Covid shot, booster, hid in their homes and many of them have had more then three cases of Covid while I, who did none of that, have not been infected once. The human disease resistant systems are best when they are "exercised" by exposure to normal germs and viruses rather than when they are keep in sterile environments and the germ fighting cells atrophy.

But I have to say that the current school situation gives me pause. School administrations have shown a callus disregard for even minimal safety protocols. They put procedures in place which inconvenience normal people but have been demonstrated to be lax in overall enforcement. Add to that the several demonstrable failures in law enforcement units to address real situations in a timely way and the "bad guys" have been shown that if they are reasonably good at their attempts at mayhem, those attempts could be successful.

The additional appalling factor for me is the number and dispersion of sympathizers with those responsible for the atrocities in Israel. The sympathizers seem to be everywhere. They are clearly anti-Semitic. But it is deeper than that. They are also anti-Christian. And they take it to a fanatical level. As a result, I view our current environment as ripe for copy-cat/me too incidents. These nut cases would be the types to get their jollies from video taping their attack and sharing it online. And they are cowards so they will pick the weakest target that they can find. Too often, that is the schools.

I was listening to Dan Bongino on the radio yesterday. He was commenting about those who might be reluctant to go to a church or synagogue this weekend. He said that he was going because that is "who he is." I echo that. I'm not going to be driven away from living my life because of all of this any more than I was driven away by the Covid debacle. But I completely understand why a parent might not trust a school to keep their child safe. Personally, I have would home school my child rather than have that worry. But I'm more sympathetic to it now that I might have been a couple of years ago.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

In regards to me carrying today, why would that be any different that any other day? :mrgreen: Just sayin
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

chasfm11 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:44 am
ajwakeboarder wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:17 pm My wife's a teacher. She has a student that isn't coming to school tomorrow because of "the war". Its a little bit concerning...
Normally, I scoff at the JTBS (Just to be safe) crowd. They are the ones who wear masks in a car when they are driving alone or recoil from the idea of being anywhere near a gun because it might accidentally go off. They are the ones who got every Covid shot, booster, hid in their homes and many of them have had more then three cases of Covid while I, who did none of that, have not been infected once. The human disease resistant systems are best when they are "exercised" by exposure to normal germs and viruses rather than when they are keep in sterile environments and the germ fighting cells atrophy.

But I have to say that the current school situation gives me pause. School administrations have shown a callus disregard for even minimal safety protocols. They put procedures in place which inconvenience normal people but have been demonstrated to be lax in overall enforcement. Add to that the several demonstrable failures in law enforcement units to address real situations in a timely way and the "bad guys" have been shown that if they are reasonably good at their attempts at mayhem, those attempts could be successful.

The additional appalling factor for me is the number and dispersion of sympathizers with those responsible for the atrocities in Israel. The sympathizers seem to be everywhere. They are clearly anti-Semitic. But it is deeper than that. They are also anti-Christian. And they take it to a fanatical level. As a result, I view our current environment as ripe for copy-cat/me too incidents. These nut cases would be the types to get their jollies from video taping their attack and sharing it online. And they are cowards so they will pick the weakest target that they can find. Too often, that is the schools.

I was listening to Dan Bongino on the radio yesterday. He was commenting about those who might be reluctant to go to a church or synagogue this weekend. He said that he was going because that is "who he is." I echo that. I'm not going to be driven away from living my life because of all of this any more than I was driven away by the Covid debacle. But I completely understand why a parent might not trust a school to keep their child safe. Personally, I have would home school my child rather than have that worry. But I'm more sympathetic to it now that I might have been a couple of years ago.
Listening to several hours of Ed Monk (teacher, soldier) talk about school safety it sounds like many schools not only provide a poor education but also don't have the first idea of how to deal with school security issues. Security appears to be incompatible with their entire thought process (their thought process is clearly totalitarian and does not prepare our youth for self responsibility)
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/2023 ... nch-school

One dead two wounded in an a terrorist knife attack in a France school.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

RPBrown wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:09 am In regards to me carrying today, why would that be any different that any other day? :mrgreen: Just sayin
We thought you might be slipping a .308 Gunsite Scout Rifle into your bike's saddlebags just for a little reach-out-and-touch-someone extra assurance.
:biggrinjester:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

RPBrown wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:09 am In regards to me carrying today, why would that be any different that any other day? :mrgreen: Just sayin
:iagree:
Steve Rothstein

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Friday the 13th, an annular solar eclipse, and...

Hamas’ ‘Day of Rage’ draws heightened security in major American cities, attention from the FBI
FBI says it is aware of ‘calls for global action’ on Friday, October 13

https://www.foxnews.com/world/hamas-day ... ention-fbi
Local and federal law enforcement in Washington, D.C., told Fox News Digital Friday they are ramping up their presence in the nation’s capital as Hamas’ call for a "Day of Rage" -- which Israel says is targeting its people and Jews – is putting American cities on alert.

The moves come as large protests unfolded in the Middle East, with massive crowds turning out in countries such as Yemen and Iraq to show support for Palestinians. In Lebanon, supporters of the Hezbollah militant group, were heard chanting "Death to Israel!" while in Tehran, Iranians were heard Friday yelling ""Death to America" and "Israel will be doomed," the Associated Press reports.
Photo of Iraqis holding a mass rally supporting the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip on Friday in Baghdad, Iraq.

I mean, color me ignorant, but what exactly did you think the response from the IDF and Mossad would be if you broke through the border and slaughtered more than 1,200 Israelis, the vast majority of them unarmed civilians including women and children? That they'd invite back over for cookies and milk to talk about your feelings?

“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Just to clarify - the eclipse is tomorrow - the 14th.

philip964
Posts in topic: 5

Post by philip964 »

Chemist45 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:40 pm Just to clarify - the eclipse is tomorrow - the 14th.
A little before noon.

Please don’t look at it without proper eye protection, no your sun glasses are not enough. Must be specially designed for looking at the sun.

A pinhole in a card projecting on another card is a way to indirectly see it.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Looks like a good place for some thermobaric ordnance.

Topic author
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Rafe wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:20 am I mean, color me ignorant, but what exactly did you think the response from the IDF and Mossad would be if you broke through the border and slaughtered more than 1,200 Israelis, the vast majority of them unarmed civilians including women and children? That they'd invite back over for cookies and milk to talk about your feelings?
That is what I am most concerned with. If Russia & Iran assisted in the attack I understand their motives. But for the people in Gaza this is gonna get ugly. It seems likely that the IDF will roll in with full force. HAMAS has to be expecting that and has had many years to prepare for it. As we've seen in Ukraine, modern warfare involves high casualties and heavy losses in armored fighting vehicles. I expect it to be a bloodbath for all concerned.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Paladin wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:27 pm [
That is what I am most concerned with. If Russia & Iran assisted in the attack I understand their motives. But for the people in Gaza this is gonna get ugly. It seems likely that the IDF will roll in with full force. HAMAS has to be expecting that and has had many years to prepare for it. As we've seen in Ukraine, modern warfare involves high casualties and heavy losses in armored fighting vehicles. I expect it to be a bloodbath for all concerned.
I don't know if the people of Gaza are any different that the Japanese people under Imperial Japanese rule before WWII. The military thought that if they bloodied the nose of the United States enough and then trapped their ships in a bloody conflict when the U.S tried to respond that the U.S. would sue for peace rather than continue the carnage. Hamas has something going for it that Empirical Japan did not in the form [abbreviated profanity deleted] world support against Israel. Too many world leaders are telling Israel and that that they have to have a "proportional" response. Remember that the Japanese population had be propagandized into believing that the U.S military were butchers and that committing suicide was a better alternative than being captured. I'm not sure that the Gaza residents are any better off.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”