Spare magazine owb at posted business

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

LDB415
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Spare magazine owb at posted business

Post by LDB415 »

Rafe wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:47 pm
LDB415 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:12 pm And please explain "valedictorians". It apparently means more than I'm aware of.
Not intending to speak for Excaliber, but I think he's using it ironically as "the opposite of": i.e., the opposite of the student with the highest academic standing the class. Not the sharpest soup spoon in the cutlery drawer.
That was all I could come up with but there are many popular terms I don't know and thought this might be another.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Excaliber »

LDB415 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:12 pm
Excaliber wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 9:01 am
LDB415 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:13 pm And continued discussion circles back to mostly and usually. And yes, most criminals are cowards and usually they are looking for the quick and safe for them score. And in those mostly usually cases open carry may be just the thing to cause them to go down the street and ply their trade among a different group of victims. But usually mostly is not absolutely always without doubt or question. And I don't intend to advertise or identify myself so in that unusual and unlikely situation I am shot first.
Choosing to always CC means the valedictorians are never deterred by the sight of your firearm, and you are thus more likely to be targeted and have to use your tactical surprise which, as I pointed out, will likely be both complicated and expensive even if it is successful.

I'm not faulting your choice, but just recognizing that it has a potential downside as well.

"Mostly and usually" is all we have to work with in life. We all make our choices about how we're going to handle each situation and then live with the consequences, whatever they may be.
It isn't my job to deter. It's my job to stay alive. Yes, my plan might backfire on me but I believe my risk is greater if I advertise.

And please explain "valedictorians". It apparently means more than I'm aware of.
OC deterrence may be general (as in deterring someone from committing a crime at a certain place and time at all) or personal. The general effect is place and time specific, and there have been reported instances where an armed robbery team saw someone practicing OC and simply waited until he left the area before initiating their crime. The individual deterrent effect which, when it is in play, most definitely helps the OC practitioner stay alive because no attempt is made to confront him or take him out first. I am not aware of any instance where the bandits followed and initiated an attack on the OC practitioner as he left instead of practicing their trade on the remaining non-OC persons present.

I used the term "valedictorians" in a tongue-in-cheek way (similar to saying "criminal geniuses") as it has been used many times in current conservative articles and in other posts here on the Forum.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

Back in the 1980’s there was a study among hardened criminals. If I remember something to the effect that if they seen a policeman standing guard and he had changed out his grips on his service revolver from the stock grips they moved on down the road. The thought was if the police had changed out their stock grips it meant they were most likely shooters and the criminals wanted nothing to do with them. I guess that is a deference in its in way.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:12 pm Back in the 1980’s there was a study among hardened criminals. If I remember something to the effect that if they seen a policeman standing guard and he had changed out his grips on his service revolver from the stock grips they moved on down the road. The thought was if the police had changed out their stock grips it meant they were most likely shooters and the criminals wanted nothing to do with them. I guess that is a deference in its in way.
Back then all my police buddies carried S&W Model 19's with target grips and most had silver butt caps on them. I only knew one guy that carried a 1911. He would rotate magazines every three months or so because he said the springs get fatigued if you leave them loaded for too long. To each his own. LOL
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

puma guy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:06 pm
carlson1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:12 pm Back in the 1980’s there was a study among hardened criminals. If I remember something to the effect that if they seen a policeman standing guard and he had changed out his grips on his service revolver from the stock grips they moved on down the road. The thought was if the police had changed out their stock grips it meant they were most likely shooters and the criminals wanted nothing to do with them. I guess that is a deference in its in way.
Back then all my police buddies carried S&W Model 19's with target grips and most had silver butt caps on them. I only knew one guy that carried a 1911. He would rotate magazines every three months or so because he said the springs get fatigued if you leave them loaded for too long. To each his own. LOL
We had model 28’s with pachmayra.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

carlson1 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:14 pm
puma guy wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:06 pm
We had model 28’s with pachmayra.
Great choice and much more durable for long term .357 loads. I had a Model 27 and a Model 19 back then. I reloaded back then and I always thought it strange the 19's would accept a longer overall length .357 round than the N frames. .

LDB415
Posts in topic: 7

Post by LDB415 »

I remember those revolver days. I believe it was a replica of their badge on the revolver butt.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

LDB415 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:26 am I remember those revolver days. I believe it was a replica of their badge on the revolver butt.
Could be some were badge replicas. I just checked with one of my buds and his was sterling silver with gold relief lettering and numbers and edge filigree. Had his name and badge number on it. He reminded me his partner carried a Browning High Power which was really unusual back then. I thought he carried a 1911 (not the guy with the magazine issues). We reminisced about a story he told me when he and his partner Joe encountered a guy on wants and warrants that they had many run ins with. Big guy, very strong and while wrestling with him Joe pulled his Browning out and hit him up the side of his head and the pistol discharged creasing his scalp. He grabbed Joe's wrist and said, "Don't do that again"! Back up called and they finally got him in the back of a car. Had to use two sets of cuffs and in the jail house he broke one set.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Excaliber »

If I remember correctly, in that study the prisoners also said if they saw a 1911 in an officer's holster, they knew he was a skilled gun guy and they wouldn't even think about taking him on.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”