Two escaped convicts in Huntsville, female guard ran over

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Russell
Posts in topic: 1

Two escaped convicts in Huntsville, female guard ran over

Post by Russell » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:29 pm

Two convicts have escaped from the Wynne unit in Huntsville. Jumped into a city van and ran over a guard on the way out, killing her. Still at large.

Any Huntsville-ians, now is a better time than ever to gear up and stay geared up!

Be safe, and God bless the guard and her family.
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006

barres
Posts in topic: 3

Post by barres » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:41 pm

I work for the Windham School District in our Administrative complex just off of the Wynne Unit in Huntsville. There are different versions of the story floating around, and, even though I should be close to the source of info, I don't know which, if any, are accurate, yet.

I have confirmed that one Correctional Officer was killed, but there are conflicting reports of whether she was shot to death or run over by the van the escapees stole. I am likewise unsure how many inmates escaped. Reports of two escapees and three have been floating around. General concensus is that, no matter how many originally escaped, only one is still on the run. He was serving 50 years for two counts of attempted capital murder. He was last spotted on foot several miles south of the Wynne Unit near where FM 1374 crosses I-45. He is armed.

Please pray for the men and women risking their lives to bring this fugitive back to justice. Please pray for the family, friends, and co-workers of the slain CO. And please pray for the safety of the good men, women, and children of Huntsville while this predator is on the loose.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

texas297

Post by texas297 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:23 pm

Per WFAA in Dallas BOTH have been captured.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/w ... 740fd.html

barres
Posts in topic: 3

Post by barres » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:26 pm

I just got word that the remaining escapee is now back in custody. Will give more details as I can get them.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbirds1210 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:36 pm

Please say a prayer for the family of this fallen Officer. Very very sad.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

flintknapper

Post by flintknapper » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:49 pm

jbirds1210 wrote:Please say a prayer for the family of this fallen Officer. Very very sad.

Indeed it is sad, and a good reminder of the danger our LEO and CO's can face on any given day.

My prayers submitted.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:18 pm

flintknapper wrote:
jbirds1210 wrote:Please say a prayer for the family of this fallen Officer. Very very sad.

Indeed it is sad, and a good reminder of the danger our LEO and CO's can face on any given day.

My prayers submitted.
I to have added her and her family to my prayer list
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Renegade
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Renegade » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:44 pm

Right after they give this guy the needle, they need to give one to the moron official who saw nothing wrong with letting someone with 50-to life sentence out of prison on work program.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:16 pm

I read that when making their getaway they ditched the city van and jacked a car from someone. Luckily, they didn't shoot anyone in the process.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

OnTexasTime

Post by OnTexasTime » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:18 pm

Renegade wrote:Right after they give this guy the needle, they need to give one to the moron official who saw nothing wrong with letting someone with 50-to life sentence out of prison on work program.
+ 1

If you have an interest in Civil War History I recommend you check out:

http://www.pearcecollections.us/civilwar.php

ELB

Post by ELB » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:46 pm

More detail here, including the guard's name, Susan Canfield, 59.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5159811.html

elb

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:36 pm

This story, in the Austin American Statesman, mentions that the 2 BG's ditched the cith pickup they stole and jacked a car at a bank drive up window.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/g ... scape.html
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:30 am

Renegade wrote:Right after they give this guy the needle, they need to give one to the moron official who saw nothing wrong with letting someone with 50-to life sentence out of prison on work program.
There are thousands of inmates participating in work programs all over the state. They build fence, pick up trash....I even took a group out once to clean up a turned over beer truck. The agency spends money to take these individuals into the community to give back part of what they have taken. Communities surrounded by prisons (Huntsville) expect a certain amount of inmate labor in their community....sort of a payback for having to share a community with these lovely folks.

A person convicted of DWI or hot checks could have done the same exact thing to this fallen Officer. This murder could have easily occured inside of the fence with no work detail involved.....most do.

What happened is horrible and IMO we should not smear mud in the face of a wounded and mourning agency by suggesting that someone be murdered because of a policy. Hopefully this loss of a ladies life will result in better staffing for the thousands of other underpaid officers working for TDCJ who are faced with equally dangerous environments each day.

God bless the family of this Officer. Her husband is a Police Officer in Houston and needs all of our prayers.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Renegade
Banned

Post by Renegade » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:51 am

jbirds1210 wrote:
A person convicted of DWI or hot checks could have done the same exact thing to this fallen Officer. This murder could have easily occured inside of the fence with no work detail involved.....most do.
This is the insane logic that allowed this woman to get killed in the first place.

Believing there is some kind of equivalence between a man serving 50-to-life for attempted capital murder and a drunk or hot check writer serving a few days. The lifer has nothing to lose by killing people. The drunk will be out in a few days and has his whole life ahead of him to lose. Duh.

Violent offenders (murderers, armed robbers, rapists), should not be allowed on work details. Work details are for non-violent offenders. 20 years since Willie Horton and some folks still do not get it. I guess more will continue to die. I guess you would be OK with letting death row inmates out on work release too.... :roll:

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:00 am

Renegade wrote:
jbirds1210 wrote:
This is the insane logic that allowed this woman to get killed in the first place.

Believing there is some kind of equivalence between a man serving 50-to-life for attempted capital murder and a drunk or hot check writer serving a few days. The lifer has nothing to lose by killing people. The drunk will be out in a few days and has his whole life ahead of him to lose. Duh.

Violent offenders (murderers, armed robbers, rapists), should not be allowed on work details. Work details are for non-violent offenders. 20 years since Willie Horton and some folks still do not get it. I guess more will continue to die. I guess you would be OK with letting death row inmates out on work release too.... :roll:
I do not believe my logic is to blame for this loss of life. My thoughts are for blaming the person that murdered her and not an administrative policy. I never agreed with everything that happens inside of a penitentary, but I can honestly say that I never felt the adminstrators on any level wanted me to die.

I politely challenge you to research the kind of "work release" program these men were participating in. I spent seven years of my life working in a maximum security prison and have pretty good idea of the situations the job demands and the work details assigned to those incarcerated.

Don't trust me...."duh" and "insane logic" are not qualities one seeks when looking for information. I only ask that you review the policies that you seek someone's execution for.

I do not intend to insult you or your intelligence. Everyone now knows where we stand so I would love to discuss it more in a PM format. I hope that you agree. Take care and have a great day.

Respectfully,

Jason
Last edited by jbirds1210 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”