Carry in a relatives house?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Andiceman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Andiceman »

Well, while I don't announce to folks that "I'm carrying a gun!" I'm not shy about talking about it if the subject comes up among friends and family--there are still a lot of folks out there that aren't aware of legal concealed carry and I take the opportunity to educate them whenever possible.

I'm about as "normal" a guy as you can find around here, a CPA, husband, and father of a toddler as well. I recently had a nice talk with my dad's new wife after my wife "outed" me to her when the subject came up somehow. I told her that I felt it was my job to take care of my family, and that carrying a handgun goes right along with making sure we have working fire extinguishers in the house and cars, checking the tire pressure in the cars and locking the doors at night. Like a fire extinguisher, a handgun is something I hope I never have to use but if I need one nothing else will substitute. When explained in those terms, she "got it", and even said she'd like to come to the range sometime.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I'm kinda the opposite of "RPBrown"...

Even though my Dad's side of the family is very conservative and pro-gun...I don't think anyone outside of him, myself and my wife have a CHL...

I got a chance to work on my uncle (my Dad's youngest brother), who is an avid hunter...Good with a rifle, not so good with handguns...

So we went through a few boxes this last weekend, and he at least acknowledged my superiority in that regard... :lol:

So we talked a little about the law, the license, the process, and maybe someday soon he'll get his license, and we'll probably not know about it...And I'm ok with that...

Like Chris said...Its a good idea to keep it quiet at certain times and places...And if the subject comes up, and the timing and place is right...Why not discuss it...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

Good job iceman. I also do not bring up the subject but if others do & there is any opportunity to encourage others w/ CC, I do it. There have been some on this & other forums that for them, CHL means conceal the weapon, conceal the liscense, conceal the fact that you have one. No real names on the forum least someone on the other side of the state might know the name of a CHL owner. To each his own but some of us believe there is a responsibility to verbally encourage others in many social responsibilities. You have done well & I commend you. :wink:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”