open carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oldboyshooter
Posts in topic: 2

open carry

Post by oldboyshooter »

On another forum, some folks were writing that there is a move afoot to allow open carry (by CHL holders) in Texas.

Has anyone heard if this is correct or just wishful thinking?

I would love it but I can hear the negatives now.

Any thoughts. I know it would be a courageous House or Senate member to champion this sort of legislation and endure the pitiful jabs he or she would receive. But, I should would vote for him or her if they would.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Re: open carry

Post by flintknapper »

My solemn promise to everyone:

I really, truly, honestly, absolutely, positively, am going to stay out of this one. :mrgreen:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

flintknapper wrote:My solemn promise to everyone:

I really, truly, honestly, absolutely, positively, am going to stay out of this one. :mrgreen:
:iagree: :tiphat:

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

I think it's a great idea insofar as it would eliminate worries about printing.

Of course, I did live in NC these past five years, where concealed carry required a permit and open carry required only a handgun.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Post by seamusTX »

No bill was introduced in the 2007 Texas legislative session to allow open carry of handguns. As far as I know, no such bill has been introduced in the 12 years that I have been living here. :txflag:

No state that has imposed a general handgun ban has later allowed open carry. The states that allow it have always allowed it.

You might want to see what these people have to say: http://www.texasopencarry.com/

- Jim

45 4 life
Posts in topic: 10

Post by 45 4 life »

I have looked at that site and am a little concerned. They appear to be lobbying for "Open Carry" no permit required.

I am not so sure about open carry and no training and/or qualification process. I am currently working on a project in Indiana where open carry is permitted (with a permit), but is not practiced much that I have witnessed. Allot of talks in the local forums and there does seem to be a fairly large group that is promoting it. Local LEO's are not fond of it at all.

Like others I am staying squarely on the fence with this one.
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

flintknapper wrote:My solemn promise to everyone:

Yep, me too. Well said Flint
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 9

Post by txinvestigator »

cbr600 wrote:I think it's a great idea insofar as it would eliminate worries about printing.
Why would a Texas CHLer worry about "printing"?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Liberty »

I think the answer to the original posters question is actually answered by the posters that followed. While it might seem like a good idea, Its a pretty hot topic. Even those who are normally pro gun won't get behind this one. If it does come up in the legislature, expect the bill to go no where. If we can't get consensus here, how could we possibly expect the state house to approve this? If we are reluctant to outwardly support it our Senators and Reps, (being the couragous men and women they are) are going to avoid this one like the plague.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 10

Post by anygunanywhere »

45 4 life wrote:I have looked at that site and am a little concerned. They appear to be lobbying for "Open Carry" no permit required.
I am not so sure about open carry and no training and/or qualification process. I am currently working on a project in Indiana where open carry is permitted (with a permit), but is not practiced much that I have witnessed. Allot of talks in the local forums and there does seem to be a fairly large group that is promoting it. Local LEO's are not fond of it at all.

Like others I am staying squarely on the fence with this one.
This will be my only contribution to this thread.

Exactly what other rights do you propose to have a permit to exercise? Speech? Religion?

A permit is a permission slip to exercise a right. We need our right of open or concealed carry without a permit, just like we had when the constitution and BOR were written.

Until RKBA supporters get over worrying about what people think we will only achieve small victories. I really do not care what people think or say about what I do with respect to my rights, especially my RKBA.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

anygunanywhere wrote:... A permit is a permission slip to exercise a right. We need our right of open or concealed carry without a permit, just like we had when the constitution and BOR were written.

Until RKBA supporters get over worrying about what people think we will only achieve small victories. I really do not care what people think or say about what I do with respect to my rights, especially my RKBA.

Anygun
:iagree:
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

Wow…coming up on 12 hours since oldboyshooter posted and no melt down of the thread…I’m seriously impressed ;-)

Oldboyshooter, this has been a very hot topic on this forum several times in the past. If you do a search, you will find more than enough reading material to keep you busy for some time.

There are very passionate discourses from members that cover just about every facet of open carry; some say absolutely not, some say yes but only with a permit, and another camp says 2nd amendment, and just about every possible level in-between.

If you’re interested in the multiple stances to this argument, you’ll enjoy the posts.

But I agree with Liberty…this will probably go nowhere anytime soon…and maybe never in our lifetime.

Now, just to throw in my two cents, I’m with anygunanywhere. Whether I would actually open carry or not based on tactical reasons is immaterial to me. It should be my decision, not the state’s.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 18

Post by WildBill »

TX Rancher wrote:Wow…coming up on 12 hours since oldboyshooter posted and no melt down of the thread…I’m seriously impressed ;-)
I think you should be able to open carry only if you have a CHL badge. :evil2:
NRA Endowment Member

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 9

Post by txinvestigator »

WildBill wrote:
TX Rancher wrote:Wow…coming up on 12 hours since oldboyshooter posted and no melt down of the thread…I’m seriously impressed ;-)
I think you should be able to open carry only if you have a CHL badge. :evil2:
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Photoman

Post by Photoman »

I think people should have the option. I wouldn't choose to carry open.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”