Handcuff's

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texasmr2
Posts in topic: 3

Handcuff's

Post by texasmr2 »

I had this idea yesterday about carrying handcuff's with me when I'm packin, is it legal? The reason being is if a situation does arise and I can take control of the situation I could handcuff the perp until the police arrive, basically making a 'citizen's arrest'?

Gregg
Peace Officer

Topic author
texasmr2

Re: Handcuff's

Post by texasmr2 »

Russell wrote:It's technically legal, but you are going to get a ton of responses here that are just like mine:

===> What is legal isn't always a good idea. <===

You are opening yourself up to a world of hurt should you be charged with unlawful confinement. Also I am going to make a conclusion here and say that you have not been trained in how to properly handcuff a suspect. When you handcuff a suspect you are putting yourself in a very vulnerable situation if you do not do it correctly.

If you feel you must confine the person, then you have probably already drawn on him. Use the weapon as your deterrent, not the handcuffs. Leave the handcuffing to the police.
Good advice thank's and I guess I can wait two more year's until I am a peace officer to carry cuff's. I guess I'll buy them for my girlfriend in the mean time, oh that's right I dont have a girlfriend, could someone please get these cuff's off ME!! :lol::
Last edited by texasmr2 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace Officer

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

This was discussed pretty extensively in this thread http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... =handcuffs
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

dukesean
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dukesean »

how bout a zip-tie? lighter and easier to hide. besides, it could come in handy for a purpose other than restraining a BG
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

Topic author
texasmr2

Post by texasmr2 »

dukesean wrote:how bout a zip-tie? lighter and easier to hide. besides, it could come in handy for a purpose other than restraining a BG
I can see it now "CC check, TDL & CHL check, cigarette's check, zip-ties check" :lol::
Peace Officer

melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

worked for jet li in romeo must die :thumbs2:
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KD5NRH »

To put it simply, the first thing I'd do if any non-LE handcuffs me is get myself hurt. Guess who's responsible for making sure I don't succeed?

melkor41

Post by melkor41 »

now you got me looking for information and it seems that they are not that effective....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7QsVfJzXI

Not a rickroll...
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it...kill the captain...and claim it as yours. : Lodge2004

DoubleActionCHL

Post by DoubleActionCHL »

melkor41 wrote:now you got me looking for information and it seems that they are not that effective....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7QsVfJzXI

Not a rickroll...
It might not be so easy if his hands were bound behind him. I have a dozen 24" heavy duty zip ties in my truck because you never know what you might need them for. I can't really imagine a situation in which I'd use them to restrain someone. They're there if I need them, though.
Last edited by DoubleActionCHL on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.doubleactionchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Houston, Texas

"Excuses are for tombstones. Get back in the fight."
--Me

Thane

Post by Thane »

I'm gonna join in with the "not a good idea" crowd. If you must "restrain" someone, hold him/her at gunpoint.

Firstly, in order to properly handcuff someone, you very likely will need two hands (one to hold the cuffs, one to hang onto the arm being cuffed). This means putting your pistol away. I'm in a law enforcement job, and I would be a bit uncomfortable by myself, with a dangerous subject, and nothing more than handcuffs dangling from my fingers. That's why we like backup. :fire

Second, there are proper ways of cuffing, and improper ways. Do it right, and things can still get hairy on you if the subject decides it's "go time." Do it wrong, and you give the subject a real good opportunity to lay hands on you.

Finally, once the subject is cuffed, he's your responsibility. If the cuffs are too tight and restrict blood flow to his hands, you're liable. If he tweaks his wrist, you're liable. If he gets up and runs off a cliff, well, he was handcuffed, so why didn't you stop him? It might not make the best sense, but this is how my instructors trained us, and how lawyers are likely to approach such scenarios. In this litigious society, even if you win the lawsuit, you may well lose in lawyer's fees.

As an afterthought, consider also the public perception. While this is lesser than the three items above, a non-LEO carrying cuffs may appear to be a "wanna-be" to the public, and a loose cannon or crazy as a result. (Mall ninjas, anyone? :evil2: )

For what it's worth, I don't carry my cuffs when I'm off-duty, either. Just my gun and creds.

Just my $0.02.

Thane.

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

I wouldn't. If a criminal wants to get away I will allow it. It is not my job to make arrests. I will give a good description to a LEO and tell them what direction they ran. Otherwise, I will try to bluff the criminal, at low ready, and wait for an officer. This may change if I know the criminal is violent or might hurt someone, which may be the case and that might encourage me to hold someone. I wouldn't post that I would hold every criminal in every situation though.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

shootthesheet wrote:I wouldn't. If a criminal wants to get away I will allow it. It is not my job to make arrests. I will give a good description to a LEO and tell them what direction they ran. Otherwise, I will try to bluff the criminal, at low ready, and wait for an officer. This may change if I know the criminal is violent or might hurt someone, which may be the case and that might encourage me to hold someone. I wouldn't post that I would hold every criminal in every situation though.
:iagree:
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Take it from a trained professional: don't. The most dangerous moment in an arrest is transitioning from a drawn gun, to a holstered gun and handcuffed suspect.

In corrections, we wear out more handcuffs than most street police will ever see. Our policy is that we never apply handcuffs without a backup, because it's simply too dangerous. The exception is if you're already in an active fight, at which time there are no rules. And, I must point out, during such a time you're going to need both hands, leaving zero hands free for applying cuffs. If I handcuff someone by myself, he's probably going to be unconscious first.

If you can safely handcuff someone without backup, then he's totally compliant. And if he's totally compliant, you have no need to handcuff him.

Handcuffs are a dangerous tool, even in the hands of people who have been properly trained in their use. They are a pain compliance device, not just a restraint. There is a very real risk of vascular or nerve damage from improper use. Users have to know about proper keyway orientation, and setting the double-lock (and of course, one should never apply handcuffs without having a cuff key).

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”