Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Elotemuygrande
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

Post by Elotemuygrande »

I'm going to try to remember to wear mine when I go to Texas State Monday and Wednesday.

Will938

Post by Will938 »

Cheapo uncle mike's OWB @ A&M CS

Monkey404error

Post by Monkey404error »

Wearing my shoulder holster outside my shirt all week. UT San Antonio
http://concealedcampus.org/index.htm
Students should also have the rights to defend themselves

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good job young man. I like my shoulder rig too.

Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

k6gixx

Post by k6gixx »

I'll be wearing my drop leg tactical all week, this is an empty holster rally, not a wear a t-shirt rally
The American flag does not fly because the wind moves past it-The American flag flies from the last breath of each military member who has died protecting it, American soldiers don't fight because they hate what's in front of them...they fight because they love what's behind them."

Liko81

Post by Liko81 »

Remember in Texas that there is no such thing as unlawful carry of ammo. Make sure you bring your mag pouches too, NOT empty.

agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

Russell wrote:
Liko81 wrote:Remember in Texas that there is no such thing as unlawful carry of ammo. Make sure you bring your mag pouches too, NOT empty.

No offense, but that is a horrible idea. We are not trying to scare the sheep here, we are trying to educate.

Bringing magazines full of ammunition does not educate. It only serves to further embed the sheep into a sense of fear for all things firearms.

Edit: Not to mention you will probably be kicked out of the university for carrying loaded ammo magazines into the classroom.
:iagree:

The point is to show that one can be responsible with guns. Don't give in to the stereotype of being a gun maniac. I've never been persuaded by someone who was being obnoxious, but polite, sensible, well thought out arguments go a long way. Plus, ammo does have explosive potential even outside a gun, and I'm sure there's some provision about explosives on campus. It's highly unlikely to explode, but the campus and media are going to be looking for ANYthing to prove their point.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

getusumtx

Post by getusumtx »

:iagree:

Carrying ammo isnt a smart idea. Carrying an empty holster,they cant say much if anything. Ammo is still explosive and your just asking for trouble. I would carry my holster,but its a cross-breed Super tuck..so you wouldnt really notice(which is kinda the point anyway).
Proud College Student/VP of the College Republicans/Iraq war Veteran

Snake Doctor

Post by Snake Doctor »

I agree with all the comments about overdoing this protest. Most people are lost in the facts because they can't understand why you guys are wearing visible holsters for a concealed handgun protest. "k6gixx", no disrespect intended, but I saw you on campus today wearing the "tactical leg drop" holster you posted about above, and even as a SCCC supporter, I just thought it was overkill... It gives people the wrong idea. I respect your participation in the cause, though.
Nemo me impune lacessit.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Check out the comments in today's Manchester, NH, Union Leader! :mrgreen: :thumbs2:

Not so good are the deplorable comments from the UNH police chief. :banghead:

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?hea ... 0ec16a481c

Gun rights protest puts heat on UNH prof
By CLYNTON NAMUO
New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent
10 hours, 55 minutes ago

DURHAM – A University of New Hampshire student who was told by a professor that he could not wear an empty gun holster in her class as part of a protest responded by posting the correspondence on the Internet, which earned the professor several angry e-mail from strangers.

Senior Matt Ham, 22, is taking part in a nationwide demonstration this week in which participants wear empty gun holsters as a way to push for college students with permits to carry a concealed weapon to be able to bring guns onto campus. Those in favor of the move say that just one armed student could have prevented the massacre at Virginia Tech last year.

The protest is being sponsored by the group Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

Ham, an active National Guardsman who works at Pease Air National Guard Base, said he told each of his four professors about the demonstration beforehand and asked to speak briefly with fellow students to explain what he was doing. All but one granted his request, while a fourth, sociology teacher Priscilla Reinertsen, sent him an email that specifically forbade him from wearing a holster.

Ham posted her e-mail, along with her email address, on a Facebook group sponsored by Students for Concealed Carry that has more than 28,000 members and added the message: "please keep it respectful for the sake of my grade."

As a result of the post, Reinertsen received several angry messages from strangers across the country criticizing her for trying to block the protest.

Reinertsen said she passed the emails along to the administration and allowed Ham to wear the holster in class because it was his right, but she did not let him speak.

"Those e-mails were belligerent," she said. "They weren't threatening, but they were angry. They were unpleasant."

UNH Deputy Police Chief Paul Dean said nothing in the emails constituted a threat, so Ham broke no laws or rules in posting Reinertsen's address, but he described the move as being "in poor taste" and "counterproductive."

"It's someone's desperate attempt to get their message out there and not be silenced," Dean said.

This is not the first time a university employee who moved against Students for Concealed Carry found his information on the Facebook group, according to Franklin Pierce University student Adam Broussard who, like Ham, is participating in the holster protest this week.

Broussard, 20, who studies at Franklin Pierce's Keene campus, said he saw a similar posting from a fellow student who was running into trouble with the demonstration on his campus. That post included the administrator's e-mail address as well, he said.

"Everything's public information; it all just depends on whether anyone wants to do it or not," Broussard said.

Ham said he did not intend for any negative messages to be sent to Reinertsen and was simply asking for support from fellow protestors.

"There's no need for that," he said of negative messages. "There's enough good points on both sides of this debate not to have to slander people, whether you agree or disagree."

Despite the hubbub over the e-mails, Ham said he has received scant attention for his protest this week. He said that to his knowledge he is the only student at UNH participating in the protest and received a permit from UNH police to do so. Police said Ham was the only one who had signed up to carry the empty holster.

Deputy Chief Dean said that although students are allowed to wear empty holsters on campus as a means of expression, guns are expressly forbidden by university policy. Students can register guns with UNH police and store them at the department, but cannot keep them on campus or in dorms. He said he would recommend expulsion for any student caught with a gun on campus.

Dean, who described himself as a lifelong gun user and a member of the National Rifle Association, said students with guns could create confusion in a school shooting situation because officers are trained to quickly find and take down shooters.

"If I enter a classroom and there are two people with a gun, who do you think is going to die," he asked. "Both people."

UNH officials work to prevent violent incidents before they happen by picking up on signs forewarning trouble, Dean said. He said such preventive efforts are much more effective at stopping school shootings than arming students. Despite the work, he said, a foolproof plan to prevent such shootings remains elusive.

"I just know that more guns aren't the answer," Dean said.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

I'd like to ask these idiots who say "more guns aren't the answer" this: Just what, pray tell, is the answer? If more guns isn't, what is? More "gun free zone" signs that advertise the availability of fattened lambs waiting for the slaughter?
Byron Dickens

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”