Jury Summons

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
comsec
Posts in topic: 1

Jury Summons

Post by comsec »

I wonder if anyone here has been asked if they "have a CHL?" during a voir dire for a criminal trial?

Going to court tomorrow as a petit juror and I've been asked about bumper stickers and all manner of "fishing" questions by criminal attorneys. Of course I will answer all queries with the minimum truthful answer, but I'm curious if this is a defense attorney tactic used now that more CHL holders are in the jury pools?

I believe everyone is entitled to a fair and impartial trial.

Ø comsec Ø

Lodge2004

Jury questions

Post by Lodge2004 »

I have been called, and selected, for jury duty three times in the last ten years in Harris County. Have never been asked about a CHL or firearms.

Two of the trials had firearms involved; a home invasion and a "driveway" robber. The third trial, an employment dispute, I managed to get out of. After being selected, I asked to speak with the judge and explained that I could not sit on this jury because I could not be neutral. The issue at hand was directly related to my "day job" and there was no way that I was ever going to agree with the plaintif's point of view. The judge agreed and dismissed me.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nitrogen »

Last time I did Jury duty, I was living in Arizona, and had just gotten my CWP there. (this was back in the late 90's)
The case was a DUI and weapons case. The DA asked me if I had a CWP and I answered yes. The defense attorny asked me if I felt CWP holders should be held to a higher standard, like LEO's, and I answered "They should be held to the law, whatever that law says"

I was picked for the jury, so it didn't seem to affect me negatively or positively.

(Then again i'm one of those people that doesn't try to get out of Jury Duty. I'm odd like that.)
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

cxm

Re: Jury Summons

Post by cxm »

I have never been asked in Denton County, but none of the cases I was called for had anything to do with shooting... it's possible I suppose....

FWIW

Chuck
comsec wrote:I wonder if anyone here has been asked if they "have a CHL?" during a voir dire for a criminal trial?

Going to court tomorrow as a petit juror and I've been asked about bumper stickers and all manner of "fishing" questions by criminal attorneys. Of course I will answer all queries with the minimum truthful answer, but I'm curious if this is a defense attorney tactic used now that more CHL holders are in the jury pools?

I believe everyone is entitled to a fair and impartial trial.

Ø comsec Ø
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I usually do my best (if I have other things I have to do, like work...Is to do subtle things that get me sent home early (and often :lol: )...

Not that I would not do my civic duty...I think I do enough as a Precinct Chair...But thats beside the point...

I was on the bubble (of being selected) in two capital murder cases ove the last two years, so you can see that my plan doesn;t work all the time... :lol:

As far as being asked a question, I do not see the need to be vague, or defensive when asked about your opinion, or the fact that you own, and are licensed to carry one under the CHL law...

One thing I do try to remember while I am sitting there wondering if the person really did it or not...Is to remember that anything I have heard in the past (on the news) is just that, news...Not evidence...

So If I want to really be on the jury, and feel it is important to have at least one intelligent, unbias person on the jury...Me...

Is to say if asked if I am pre-disposed to this case, I tell them that "News is not evidence"...I am either going to be totally liked, or totally hated for that opinion...

The one thing I do know is that if you are asked about your opinion about firearms is that it demonstrates a will to be "empowered" and informed and are totally serious about certain issues...And that is a strength that DA's love, and defense lawyers hate...

What I don't like about jury duty is that those few of us who do take it seriously, would be nice to be extended the courtesy of safely disarming in the courthouse and storing our firearms without any hassles...

And as much as I hear everytime that the lawyers, judges and other legal participants are grateful for us to come in and do our civic duty...

I say prove it, by entrusting those of us who do take our personal safety and security seriously...

Pass a law that compels facilties like this to allow us to safely store our firearms while we are doing this you ar so grateful for us to do...

I really don;t think its that hard to implement, but I am sure the ditractors will think of all sorts of things to poo-poo on the idea...

off the soapbox again...
:lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

stevie_d_64 wrote: What I don't like about jury duty is that those few of us who do take it seriously, would be nice to be extended the courtesy of safely disarming in the courthouse and storing our firearms without any hassles...

And as much as I hear everytime that the lawyers, judges and other legal participants are grateful for us to come in and do our civic duty...

I say prove it, by entrusting those of us who do take our personal safety and security seriously...

Pass a law that compels facilties like this to allow us to safely store our firearms while we are doing this you ar so grateful for us to do...

I really don;t think its that hard to implement, but I am sure the ditractors will think of all sorts of things to poo-poo on the idea...

off the soapbox again...
:lol:
One thing I loved about living in AZ, is, it was the law that if a place didn't want you carrying, they had to provide safe firearm storage.
Not that every place followed the law, but the law was there and on the books.

Is that on Charle's list for 2007 btw? Maybe it should be if it's not.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I've never even received a jury summons. I think my wife did for municipal court once, but I was the officer that issued the ticket. :grin:

Needless to say, she called and did not have to go.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Baytown wrote:I've never even received a jury summons. I think my wife did for municipal court once, but I was the officer that issued the ticket. :grin:

Now that is a story I want to hear. Probably goes into the LEO bloopers file... giving a ticket to your wife has got to put you in the dog house for a long time.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Kalrog wrote:
Baytown wrote:I've never even received a jury summons. I think my wife did for municipal court once, but I was the officer that issued the ticket. :grin:

Now that is a story I want to hear. Probably goes into the LEO bloopers file... giving a ticket to your wife has got to put you in the dog house for a long time.
Thats also why he probably lost his internet privaleges at the bank for a while...She dropped a dime on him...Told them he was talking to this wacko guy on the internet about guns and other stuff...

I'm duckin' and coverin'!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Glenn
I think he is saying he wrote the ticket which the offender was fighting. Maybe I'm wrong.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

gigag04 wrote:

Glenn
I think he is saying he wrote the ticket which the offender was fighting. Maybe I'm wrong.
No, I'm probably the one thats wrong...I admit it... :lol: ;-)
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

gigag04 wrote:I think he is saying he wrote the ticket which the offender was fighting. Maybe I'm wrong.
You are probably right, but that just isn't as funny. :razz:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”