Hey Waco folks...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Lonegun1894
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Lonegun1894 »

Kalrog,
Sorry this took me a while to get to, hopefully it isnt too late to do you some good.

Cameron Park is supposed to have some of the best mt. bike trails, so it isnt very flat at all. Most of it isnt bad, but do expect frequent steep climbs up and down. Look at it this way, if people do it on bikes, you shouldnt have any serious problems on foot, just be careful so you dont slip and break something or fall into poison ivy and wish you had. This is one of the areas where you can get the best view of the Balcones Escarpment. You'll likely go along at the bottom of Emmons cliff, and along the top of Lover's Leap. These are two areas that have claimed several lives when people get stupid and ecide they're gonna climb these cliffs. The cops frown on people climbing these, so i'd put money on it that they wont have you climbing these, but it gives you an idea of some of the elevation changes you'll see along your trail. Another warning is the tick population. Did a few miles through it with my dog about a week or so ago, and picked about 20-25 ticks off me and him. Also, there have been several assaults and robberies over the last few months in that park. Pattern seems to be after dark and by groups of young males. Daytime seems to be fairly safe, with plenty of people after work hours and on weekends, but i always carru so business as usual there for me at least. Just stay safe.

Places to stay. Cameron park is right on the Brazos river. The side you'll be on, is usually fairly good, but close enough to questionable areas on the same side [abbreviated profanity deleted] the river. Theother side of the river is a high drug/crime/prostitution area, so you might wanna stay away from there. Closest motels are just on the other side of that, and the neighborhood is an improvement, but still in close proximity so watch your back and answer the door with a gun if you get woke up in the middle of the night. I'd recommend getting a little further away from there, if you dont mind a little further drive. And i mean about an extra mile or mile and a half past the questinable area and right along I-35 in Bellmead or Waco. Either way would still put you within about 5-10 minutes of the park, but at least you arent likely to get an unpleasant surprize when you're trying to sleep.

Bellmead and Waco are right across the river from each other, so a place to stay will be easy to find right along the highway right there. Last weekend, the rains we had here took out the road along the Waco-side of the river and there is now a sinkhole where the road was that would have provided you the easiest way from the Waco side into Cameron Park. I'd recommend going the other way, through Bellmead. Just go west on Lakeshore Dr (loop 340) off I-35, til you cross two rivers and get to 19th street, take a left, and go to Herring, where you take another left. There are signs pointing your way from there on, but if you cross the river you have gone too far. If you insist, or wanna stay in Waco and dont mind a drive through a iffy area for a couple miles, take any one of the several one way roads leading west from I-35, 4th, 5th area, or further from the river, and go til you hit Herring once again. Take a right this time to get you closer to the river and the park itself. The road that is collapsed is right next to the river and they are trying to fix it, but if you stay a few blocks away from the river you can avoid all that mess.

If I missed anything, let me know, and if anyone wants my # for anything, just PM me. Sorry it's so long, but hopefully there's some info you can use. Also, if possible, get familiar with a map of Cameron park and bring a compass if your directional orientation gets thrown off easy, cause those trail wind back and forth a lot, and an idea of what you're going into could be helpful, even though there are maps posted here and there at the various trails--you just cant take them.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
CHL/NRA/Hunter Safety instructor
TCLEOSE

mec
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mec »

two types of hills in Cameron Park: The steep ones and the ones that are cliffs.
The closest hotel is the Hilton near the convention center and there are a couple more within a couple of blocks. (Court yard at 101 Washington)
A lot of races, events, etc start right in front of the hilton.
The ones east of there may be alright but some are in the strawberry patch. This is the area where you can pick up professional women like strawberries because they need the money for cocaine. There used to be and probably still is a Holliday Inn on the east side of the river if you want a near- death experience.

I don't see it here, so it may have been torn down:
http://www.hotels.com/processSearch.do? ... 1445655541

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

Never heard it called the strawberry patch before. But you are right. Had a couple jump out in front of the truck a couple times, acting like they were in trouble, just to get me to stop and offer "services". No thanks. But it showed me how aggressive they can be. Had one guy come up at a red light and stick a .25 pistol in my window, too bad he didnt notice the .45 sitting in my hand til i cocked the hammer. I got to turn him over to PD when they passed by a couple minutes later. Turned out he was wanted but the officer just ran my license to make sure i wasnt wanted myself and told me to leave as he had seen enough to arrest him, in addition to his being wanted anyways. Glad he wasnt a stickler cause i wasnt old enough at the time to have that .45. Everything except my age was legal, so he let me go and told me to saty away from there casue i might not be as lucky next time.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
TCLEOSE

Topic author
Kalrog
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Kalrog »

I ended up at the following:

Country Inn Suites Waco
1502 N I35 Exit 338b
Bellmead, TX 76705

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

that will put you within a few minutes of the park. I can drive by there tomorrow to make sure i am thinking of the right place. But if it's the place i'm thinking of, it shouldnt be bad at all, at least neighborhood-wise.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
TCLEOSE

Topic author
Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Amazing place where strangers will drive all over town and do the legwork like this.

Apparently my mom has stayed in this place before and she gave it pretty good marks, but she isn't exactly as aware of her surroundings as I am.

One other thing... is there a good place to get a dinner on Friday night? I am looking for something with mass quantities of food (doesn't have to be pasta) and a comfortable atmosphere. I want to relax and probably have 1 beer or so (can't drink too much).

mec
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mec »

I believe the Brazos Steak house on the east side of the river from the park has a beer license. It's just south of herring avenue- which you will see on Martin L King/ Lake Brazos drive.

View of the river with outside deck. Side-wheeler river boat parked in front. Good food.

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

Neighborhood wise, you shouldn't see anything too extraordinary. Close enough to trouble and the highway that i'd carry 24/7, but far enough that i wouldnt expect to need it most nights. There are several bars within a few blocks so watch for the drunks when they close down if you're out and about at that time. The steakhouse is great, at least it was a few months ago. There are several other options, available too, including buffets, several chinese, a vietnamese, ihop, denny's, and a hooters just opened not too long ago just down the highway about 3-4 miles. Plenty of options, and they get more varied if you're willing to stray from the highway and head further into the town itself.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
TCLEOSE

Topic author
Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I would feel wrong going to a steak house and not ordering a steak. And just in case you don't know, red meat the night before a long run is NOT a good idea, so I won't be ordering that steak. Nothing too spicy either (although normally the hotter the better). Thanks for everything!

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

Let me know when and where you are gonna be and i can meet you and show you a few places while you're here. Got school and all so time may be limited by that, but it'll at least give you an idea of what's available so you wont be stuck with the handful of things around the highway. Let me know if you're interested.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
TCLEOSE

Topic author
Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

Mighty nice offer, lonegun. But I won't be in town long enough to take advantage of that. I'm just heading up for a place to sleep so I don't have to start driving at 4:00 am for a 7:00 am race start. I just want a decent dinner and a relaxing evening/night so that I can run till I puke on Saturday. Maybe literally with the way the weather is looking...

Lonegun1894

Post by Lonegun1894 »

Here's a place you might wanna look into. PRetty good food, always had a friendly waitress, ans the place has that beer you wanted. It's no steakhouse, but it gets a bit rowdy sometimes with sports on the TV and all that. They also have a bar inside (NOT posted for the restaurant area at least, not sure about the bar) so you can order that beer with dinner. Best of luck with the race and let us all know how you did. Place definitely isnt fancy, but the atmosphere is relaxed with a mix of ages. But be ready to deal with the college bunch since it is close to Baylor.
Their adress is below, found it on google with "georges waco", and they have the menu on the site.
George's
1925 Speight Ave.
Waco, Texas 76706

Best of luck.
Paul
USN/USMC '00-'05
TCLEOSE

Topic author
Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

I'm off... wish me luck.

"Range" report tomorrow night if I can stay awake.

TxFire
Posts in topic: 5

Post by TxFire »

Good luck man! Let me know how the run goes.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”