Legal age for having a handgun in your vehicle

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Legal age for having a handgun in your vehicle

Post by Pawpaw »

Chefrulo61 wrote:So as a 17 year old it is legal for me to carry in my truck? Is the any law that kinda says that because my mom said I couuld and long as it's legal but I want to show her proof.
Yes it's legal, but you won't find a law giving you permission. That's not the way the legal system works. Laws tell you what you CAN'T do... not what you CAN.

The law says you have to be 18 to buy a long gun and 21 to buy a handgun. It's completely silent about possession of any of them, thus it's legal.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Chefrulo61
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Chefrulo61 »

Keith B wrote:
BBYC wrote:If you need your mom's permission, I think you answered your own question about being old enough.
If I was 17 and living under my folks roof, driving a car they owned (you can't own a car at 17), and otherwise needing to go by their wishes, then that I believe that is showing respect to get their blessing for something as important as carrying a firearm.
Thank you!

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Grundy1133 »

Keith B wrote:
BBYC wrote:If you need your mom's permission, I think you answered your own question about being old enough.
If I was 17 and living under my folks roof, driving a car they owned (you can't own a car at 17), and otherwise needing to go by their wishes, then that I believe that is showing respect to get their blessing for something as important as carrying a firearm.
Wait you can't own a car at 17? Even if you've moved out of your parents house, have a job and are living on your own? if you cant legally own a car at 17 why are kids able to drive at 17? that makes no sense to me... kinda like if you can join the military at 18 and shoot guns and die for your country why cant you buy a gun? or buy alcohol? (not necessarily in that order haha.)
NRA Member

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CleverNickname »

Remember that you also need to comply with federal law too, and while federal law doesn't have a restriction on possession of non-NFA longarms by minors, 18 USC 922(x) does restrict their possession of handguns.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922#x

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Grundy1133 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Wait you can't own a car at 17? Even if you've moved out of your parents house, have a job and are living on your own? if you cant legally own a car at 17 why are kids able to drive at 17? that makes no sense to me... kinda like if you can join the military at 18 and shoot guns and die for your country why cant you buy a gun? or buy alcohol? (not necessarily in that order haha.)
That was news to me too. I bought my first car at 16. My parent's knew about the entire thing. Heck my father was the one that found the car for me, but he didn't sign anything.

I owned the car for several months before my father finally gave his permission for me to get my license (as opposed to my learner's permit). I didn't really NEED his permission, but it made life much easier. Both of my parents were working, so my aunt went with me to take the driving test.

Can anyone imagine a Millennial taking his driving test in a 55 Chevy with three-on-the-tree? :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Chefrulo61

Post by Chefrulo61 »

CleverNickname wrote:Remember that you also need to comply with federal law too, and while federal law doesn't have a restriction on possession of non-NFA longarms by minors, 18 USC 922(x) does restrict their possession of handguns.

Woah okay so now I'm a little confused so I can legally possess the handgun according to state law but not by federal law which would make me a fellon?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Pawpaw wrote: That was news to me too. I bought my first car at 16. My parent's knew about the entire thing. Heck my father was the one that found the car for me, but he didn't sign anything.
You can arrange to buy one, and pay for it with your money, but it must be titled in the name of someone who is 18 or older.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Keith B wrote:
Pawpaw wrote: That was news to me too. I bought my first car at 16. My parent's knew about the entire thing. Heck my father was the one that found the car for me, but he didn't sign anything.
You can arrange to buy one, and pay for it with your money, but it must be titled in the name of someone who is 18 or older.
Hmmm. I wonder when that went into effect. Sometime after 1970, for sure.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Pawpaw wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Hmmm. I wonder when that went into effect. Sometime after 1970, for sure.
Well, there supposedly are ways to do this and gift it to the minor, but there has to be a guardian listed on the title. So basically, must be 18. Not sure if that changed after 1970 or not.

But we are off topic, so back to our regularly scheduled programming. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CleverNickname »

Chefrulo61 wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:Remember that you also need to comply with federal law too, and while federal law doesn't have a restriction on possession of non-NFA longarms by minors, 18 USC 922(x) does restrict their possession of handguns.

Woah okay so now I'm a little confused so I can legally possess the handgun according to state law but not by federal law which would make me a fellon?
Yes, state law is less restrictive than federal law in this instance.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

CleverNickname wrote:
Chefrulo61 wrote:

No, Federal law says its OK was long as he has a note from his mom or dad.
(iii) the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile’s possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
(iv) in accordance with State and local law;
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

deplorable

Post by deplorable »

Liberty wrote:
CleverNickname wrote:
Chefrulo61 wrote:

No, Federal law says its OK was long as he has a note from his mom or dad.
(iii) the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile’s possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
(iv) in accordance with State and local law;
The written permission is required for the juvenile to legally possess a handgun and ammunition to use:
(i) in the course of employment,
in the course of ranching or farming [...],
target practice,
hunting,
or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;
Driving around with a handgun in a vehicle for self defense isn't one of the permissible reasons.

Of course, that section of 18 U.S. Code § 922 is literally unconstitutional, like most of the rest of 18 U.S. Code § 922.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”