CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GlockenHammer »

Webster, TX fire station number 1.

tonyP-11

Bastrop Sheriff office improperly posted?

Post by tonyP-11 »

I visited the Bastrop County Law Enforcement Center (sheriff’s offices) today to bid a project.

They have posted a sign (I believe the old style sign) to the effect of:
Possession of a handgun under the authority of the concealed handgun…..Civil Statute 4413 (29ee)…..is prohibited.

Then there is a silhouette of a gun with red “no� slash/symbol over it.

Then again in Spanish.

I do not believe this complies with 30.06 but as I was soliciting business I did not bring it to their attention. Nor did I want to be too obvious in coping down the wordage so I paraphrased what the sign said.

The interesting thing is once you go down a hallway there is a door where the offices check their gun prior to entering the door and their holding area. Nowhere on the building is it stated that this is anything but the sheriff’s office. I knew I would be visiting the holding areas and left the weapon in the truck anyway.

Tony Grim

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Kalrog »

I wonder what would happen if you tried to utilize the same gun storage facilities as the officers... I bet they would be a bit surprised that you were armed and might try to make you a "guest". I guess it depends on the officer (and especially the boss).

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

GlockenHammer wrote:Webster, TX fire station number 1.
I used to be a member with Webster VFD...

Are you talking about that new station over on Egret Bay Blvd???

Or the old stationhouse I recall over off of Hwy 3 near the new PD building...

Now that it is a semi-paid organization (I left before that idea came to pass), I am sure the 30.06 idea came straight from the city who knew there were a bunch of us that were "gun enthusiast" who did a lot of shooting and hunting. And some of us even had CHL's! Gasp!

And that if we wanted to work a shift or hang out waiting for a call...That more than likely we'd have a firearm in our vehicles...But we knew we should not bring one into the building, knowing we probably wouldn't have time to secure the weapon if we got a call...Obviously...

We figured that was a good thing...But knowing a city government tends to not trust us at all anyway...Thats what probably drove the issue to post the facility...

Anyway...Long on gas I suppose...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

John

Post by John »

The convention center in Texas City is posted with a 30.06 sign. It is city owned and operated according to their web site.
JohnC

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jimlongley »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
GlockenHammer wrote:Webster, TX fire station number 1.
I used to be a member with Webster VFD...

Are you talking about that new station over on Egret Bay Blvd???

Or the old stationhouse I recall over off of Hwy 3 near the new PD building...

Now that it is a semi-paid organization (I left before that idea came to pass), I am sure the 30.06 idea came straight from the city who knew there were a bunch of us that were "gun enthusiast" who did a lot of shooting and hunting. And some of us even had CHL's! Gasp!

And that if we wanted to work a shift or hang out waiting for a call...That more than likely we'd have a firearm in our vehicles...But we knew we should not bring one into the building, knowing we probably wouldn't have time to secure the weapon if we got a call...Obviously...

We figured that was a good thing...But knowing a city government tends to not trust us at all anyway...Thats what probably drove the issue to post the facility...

Anyway...Long on gas I suppose...
ROFL! I can remember a bunch of us sitting around the firehouse cleaning our guns after sighting in for that weekend's deer hunting trip, and a call came in. As we ALL piled onto the trucks someone suggested that maybe we should leave one person behind to guard the guns, at least until the radio operator or ladies' auxiliary arrived. :lol: Boy, them were the days.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

John the signs in Texas City came down after I talked to the Mayor, no signs anymore but there is a pre-school in the older part of that building.

Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

jimlongley wrote:ROFL! I can remember a bunch of us sitting around the firehouse cleaning our guns after sighting in for that weekend's deer hunting trip, and a call came in. As we ALL piled onto the trucks someone suggested that maybe we should leave one person behind to guard the guns, at least until the radio operator or ladies' auxiliary arrived. :lol: Boy, them were the days.
Holy crap Jim! :lol:

I bet it was the rookie of the bunch that got left behind??? :lol:

I might have been slightly askew to consider coming back to the station if he/she was still there with all that firepower... :lol:

Glad I grew up and learned pump ops, instead of going into those perfectly good "burning structures"... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jimlongley »

Yeah, we left "Baby Huey" behind. If you remember the comic, the description fits.

Huey didn't hunt and I'm not sure he knew which end of a gun was which, so he was safe with them. He was a hell of a horse to have at a fire scene, not a lot of smarts but you could set him a task and he would do it.

I remember seeing him running from a collapsing wall, dragging a hose, with two other firefighters holding on to the hose for dear life. I don't think he even knew they were there. He would have been great in the NFL if they could keep him pointed in the right direction.

I spent a lot of years as a Lt. and one as a Capt. and had ALL the schools that were available, but I basically was a nozzle man at heart.

Sitting around the firehouse on a Saturday afternoon, beer, pepperoni, sharp cheese (which the chief hated) and Hoppe's #9. Life doesn't get much better than that. :lol:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Arock
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Arock »

Rockwall County Government Center on Ridge Road is posted with 30.06 signage and have a uniformed officer and metal detector at the entrance. There are offices in the building that are NOT "offices of the court" ie. computer and communications managers offices etc.

Signage, metal detector and officer(s) were the work of former 322nd State District Judge Sue Pirtle (a former liberal female educator) since un-elected but her sorry legacy lives on.

I plan to speak with the County Judge about this but Rockwall County considers itself exempt from laws not of its making so I'm not optimistic. May have to call TSRA for support.
We remember the Alamo because against long odds we were forced give up one building.
Mexico remembers Texas.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

If they have any offices utilized by the court they can prohibt you.

PS I am right around the corner from you in Wylie.

Arock

Post by Arock »

txinvestigator wrote:If they have any offices utilized by the court they can prohibt you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my reading of the statute says a person possessing a valid CHL is barred from courtrooms, offices of the court, etc, not from the entire building the court is in. This is why there are separate metal detectors outside the courtroom. Other offices in the building are County Clerk, District Clerk, DA, County Treasurer etc. From other threads on this forum I understand a person with a CHL should have access to other, non-court offices in the building.

Comment?
We remember the Alamo because against long odds we were forced give up one building.
Mexico remembers Texas.

John

Post by John »

ElGato wrote:John the signs in Texas City came down after I talked to the Mayor, no signs anymore but there is a pre-school in the older part of that building.

Tomcat
Thanks for the heads up... i was there for a trade show earlier this year and saw the signs. They did have an armed guard. Thank you for discussing this with the city.

John
JohnC

CharlieH

Post by CharlieH »

Arock wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:If they have any offices utilized by the court they can prohibt you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my reading of the statute says a person possessing a valid CHL is barred from courtrooms, offices of the court, etc, not from the entire building the court is in. This is why there are separate metal detectors outside the courtroom. Other offices in the building are County Clerk, District Clerk, DA, County Treasurer etc. From other threads on this forum I understand a person with a CHL should have access to other, non-court offices in the building.

Comment?
I don't have the legal reference, but when I took the CHL class in March the instructor said this changed recently and that the whole building would now be prohibited.

Arock

Post by Arock »

Please provide a reference as this contradicts my understanding from reading other threads on this site. Specifically as it pertains to access to City of Dallas offices.

I will search for my reference.

ETA one thread is this:
http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... .php?t=296
Mexico remembers Texas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”