Collapsible Baton-Legal to Carry in Texas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Ace_Inthe_O
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Collapsible Baton-Legal to Carry in Texas

Post by Ace_Inthe_O »

Well there's only one way to find out..... :mrgreen:

So long as you were going to and from your place of residence or somewhere you were in "control" of you would be ok beyond that I have no idea.
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jimlongley »

Keith B wrote:
jimlongley wrote: Which is the reason that gang bangers are such big golf fans that they carry their favorite nine iron everywhere they go just in case they happen to come across a driving range new to the 'hood and feel the need to hit a couple of buckets of balls.
Yep. Be careful to watch for gangs like this. You can tell them by their gang colors. "rlol"

Ouch, I just barfed into my mouth and had to swallow it to save my keyboard.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

It appears to me that clubs fall under the same exception as knives for CHL holders. If you are carrying a concealed handgun and valid license, you are exempted from UCW, including knives and clubs. Of course, if you are engaging in a deliberate challenge to the law or engaging in behavior that an LEO concludes "needs arrestin'", then it is probable that you'll get arrested anyway and then have to have it settled in court.

Anyway, here is where it is made illegal:
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club . . .
Here is where does not apply.
Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
. . . .
(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

carrydave
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carrydave »

Im in lubbock, and here on the news we have a lot of news about the underground pit bull fighting circuit.

My sister the other was accosted by a large pit bull while walking our little dog. Luckily the pit bull was only playing, but it was still terrifying.

many residents in my area walk with a club, cane, stick, or golf club. This is against Texas law, but it seems to be tolerated by the police for walkers not wishing to be chewed on by pit bulls.

Even though I can carry, the pit bull is not likely to run if I pull my glock 26, so I would still like to carry a small staff. Texas should address this issue for municipalities with dog issues.

Ours is so bad we can't even have a dog park for fear the fighting rings will cause a ruckus .

android

Post by android »

The_Vigilante wrote:Let's see, I can carry a firearm which can inflict a lot more damage than a baton, billy club, etc. Why not a baton? Wouldn't it be preferrable to use a baton to defend yourself in cases where a gun wouldn't be an option? No loss of life! Wonder what the reasoning is on the restrictions of batons?
I think a lot of the knife and other weapon laws were written before you could legally carry a gun.

Also, they were probably written to target specific minorities.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Off topic:
If I were ever involved in a shelf defense shooting, I would not want the prosecutor telling the jury my user name on a gun forum is "The Vigilante".
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Jumping Frog wrote:It appears to me that clubs fall under the same exception as knives for CHL holders. If you are carrying a concealed handgun and valid license, you are exempted from UCW, including knives and clubs. Of course, if you are engaging in a deliberate challenge to the law or engaging in behavior that an LEO concludes "needs arrestin'", then it is probable that you'll get arrested anyway and then have to have it settled in court.

Anyway, here is where it is made illegal:
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club . . .
Here is where does not apply.
Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.
(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:
. . . .
(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun of the same category as the handgun the person is carrying;
Pretty sure that exemption is ONLY making it legal for CHL holders to carry a concealed handgun.

scud runner

Post by scud runner »

A cop can use a baton to get compliance. For the rest of use, a club is a deadly weapon, so we might as well use something more effective at stopping goblins like a Bowie knife, gladius, etc. I call mine Sting.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Pretty sure that exemption is ONLY making it legal for CHL holders to carry a concealed handgun.
I understand some people have that belief, but that isn't what the letter of the law says. This has been discussed before in these forums.

There is a test case in Austin right now by a guy who chose to walk into the Capitol with an otherwise illegal knife, a handgun, and his CHL. He wanted to be a test case and he got his wish. I'll be interested in seeing the outcome. :tiphat:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by EEllis »

carrydave wrote:Im in lubbock, and here on the news we have a lot of news about the underground pit bull fighting circuit.

My sister the other was accosted by a large pit bull while walking our little dog. Luckily the pit bull was only playing, but it was still terrifying.

many residents in my area walk with a club, cane, stick, or golf club. This is against Texas law, but it seems to be tolerated by the police for walkers not wishing to be chewed on by pit bulls.

Even though I can carry, the pit bull is not likely to run if I pull my glock 26, so I would still like to carry a small staff. Texas should address this issue for municipalities with dog issues.

Ours is so bad we can't even have a dog park for fear the fighting rings will cause a ruckus .

Lots of items are not considered clubs unless or until they are used as such. A stick used to run off dogs would be fine, the same stick used against a person is a violation.

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Pretty sure that exemption is ONLY making it legal for CHL holders to carry a concealed handgun.
I understand some people have that belief, but that isn't what the letter of the law says. This has been discussed before in these forums.

There is a test case in Austin right now by a guy who chose to walk into the Capitol with an otherwise illegal knife, a handgun, and his CHL. He wanted to be a test case and he got his wish. I'll be interested in seeing the outcome. :tiphat:
Charges against him were dropped "in the interest of justice". It was posted in another thread on here...just can't find it right now. Since it never went to court, we don't have a definitive ruling one way or the other on the legality of carrying illegal knives, clubs, etc. while also carrying a handgun under a CHL.

StewNTexas

Post by StewNTexas »

I may have to rethink my 'walking stick' I use when walking the dog.

I started out with a long hoe handle, just over 5', and a good height for its purpose. I bored a half inch hole in the bottom, extending the existing hole used for holding the hoe head. This allowed me to trim the bottom portion to get rid of the portion they 'sharpen' for the ease in assembly, and to make it look better.

Melted down a pile of old led fishing weights, poured it into the bored hole in the lower end. After cooling, I cross drilled the lower portion, inserted a rivet of the proper size, peened it flat.

Great walking length, long enough to do some good, heavy and strong enough to fend off / bash a charging dog, may of which are around.

While this does not appear dangerous, I might be in a better position regarding the law to just stick a relatively small .380 in my jeans pocket. Would be a lot louder than a stick if it had to be used.
If the 2nd admendment only applies to muskets and muzzle-loaders, then the 1st admentment must apply only to the spoken or printed word. Printing must be done on hand presses, news stories must be written in longhand, no keyboards or electric processes may be used.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by EEllis »

StewNTexas wrote:I may have to rethink my 'walking stick' I use when walking the dog.

I started out with a long hoe handle, just over 5', and a good height for its purpose. I bored a half inch hole in the bottom, extending the existing hole used for holding the hoe head. This allowed me to trim the bottom portion to get rid of the portion they 'sharpen' for the ease in assembly, and to make it look better.

Melted down a pile of old led fishing weights, poured it into the bored hole in the lower end. After cooling, I cross drilled the lower portion, inserted a rivet of the proper size, peened it flat.

Great walking length, long enough to do some good, heavy and strong enough to fend off / bash a charging dog, may of which are around.

While this does not appear dangerous, I might be in a better position regarding the law to just stick a relatively small .380 in my jeans pocket. Would be a lot louder than a stick if it had to be used.
I wouldn't worry about it. They will only charge you with an illegal weapon if there are other charges. Basically if you just use it as a walking stick you are fine. If you use it in a clear cut case of self defense you are fine. If you use it against a neighbor and you get charged with assault then you might have them pile an extra charge on but it would only matter if you don't beat the assault charge anyway so switching to a gun would of just gotten you more charges most likely.

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Carry an un opened glass wine bottle it will do the job ..if ???? say you are going to a wine tasting siminar....
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Fantomo309

Post by Fantomo309 »

I am thinking of carrying a cane or UNBREAKABLE umbrella anyone know of any rulings on them?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”