dwmathews
Posts in topic: 1

Game room customer shoots armed robber

Post by dwmathews »

Game room customer shoots armed robber

By T.J. Aulds
The Daily News
Published June 1, 2009

SAN LEON – An armed robber was shot at a San Leon game room by one of the game room’s customers early Monday morning, police said.

The shooting happened at the Player’s Paradise game room in the 4800 block of state Highway 146 near the city limits of Texas City.

Police said two or three gunmen busted into the game room about midnight Monday demanding money. One of the customers who also was armed shot one of the would-be robbers twice, Texas City Police Captain Brian Goetchius said.

The suspected gunman was taken to Clear Lake Regional Hospital. No charges were filed against the gun-toting customer who “appeared to be lawfully carrying the weapon,” Goetchius said.
The Galveston County Sheriff’s Office and the Texas City Police Department are investigating the attempted robbery and shooting.
:tiphat: you would think the dummys would learn. CLH rocks
Dave
Dec 7,2007 CHL came by US Mail
Oct 11th-Austin Received Applications
Oct 8th-Mailed Applications
Oct 6th-Took CHL Class

boomerang

Re: Game room customer shoots armed robber

Post by boomerang »

Those game rooms sound like dangerous places. http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... =7&t=22039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder if it's the same three criminals.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

One of the customers who also was armed and shot one of the would-be robbers twice, Texas City Police Captain Brian Goetchius said.

The suspected gunman was taken to Clear Lake Regional Hospital. No charges were filed against the gun-toting customer who “appeared to be lawfully carrying the weapon,” Goetchius said.
No one picked up on this??? First thing I looked for when I saw armed customer was chl, chl, chl... but it seems he didn't have one? Permission from the gameroom owner to carry or ???

dicion

Post by dicion »

Aggie_engr wrote:
One of the customers who also was armed and shot one of the would-be robbers twice, Texas City Police Captain Brian Goetchius said.

No one picked up on this??? First thing I looked for when I saw armed customer was chl, chl, chl... but it seems he didn't have one? Permission from the gameroom owner to carry or ???
Would you dare tell the police 'I did not give him permission' after he just saved your butt? "rlol" :smilelol5:

"Of course I gave him permission! Multiple Times!!!"

John
Posts in topic: 2

Post by John »

How do you know he didn't have a CHL?
JohnC

LaserTex

Post by LaserTex »

He probably had his CHL and this hick reporter "did his best" without any comprehension to what he was writing. Oh yeah! THAT never happens..

Doug :txflag:
LaserTex
Air Force Retired ** Life Member VFW ** NRA Member **
** Life Member AmVets ** Patriot Guard Rider **

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Post by seamusTX »

The newspaper story is a direct quotation of what the police spokesman said.

The defender could only have had a CHL. The owner of a business cannot give a customer who does not have a CHL permission to carry a handgun there. I doubt a LEO, judge, or DA would be in an illegal game room.

Please lay off with the "hick reporter" judgmental nonsense. I live here, and I know these people. You don't.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

A-R

Post by A-R »

not sure you can definitively say from the provided text that he didn't have a CHL. They said he was lawfully carrying. That could mean he had a CHL or other possibilities. Reporter probably didn't know or think to ask "Did he have a CHL?" and the police probably didn't offer any more details.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

“The 77-year-old concealed gun permit carrier drew his .38-caliber revolver and shot one of the crooks,” Goetschius said. “The crook immediately fell to the floor, and he dropped his gun and he lost a shoe.”

From the Galveston Daily News.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Maybe the police are reluctant to admit that the shooter was a CHL holder. Some LEO's simply don't like the idea.

Jim: This is just conjecture on my part, and not a poke at the local LEO's.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The newspaper story has been updated to state explicitly that the defender was a 77-year-old Korean War veteran with a CHL. It was also the "above the fold" story in the print edition.

The robber who was shot checked into the emergency room a short time later.

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewc ... 9a89431c2d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I liked this detail:
“The 77-year-old concealed gun permit carrier drew his .38-caliber revolver and shot one of the crooks,” [Police spokesman Brian] Goetschius said. “The crook immediately fell to the floor, and he dropped his gun and he lost a shoe.”
- Jim

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I am glad this turned out the way it did.

I was a broke prison guard a few years back and took a job at night running the crackheads out of one of these gamerooms. The place was absolutely disgusting. If an armed robber doesn't kill you, the stale cigarette smoke mixed with pinesol might.

There is absolutely no reason to be in one of these places and not expect trouble. For the same reasons I avoid convinience stores (cash business), I avoid gamerooms. There is no security, plenty of cash on hand, and many times a robbery will not be reported because the owners do not want the police involved. IMO they are just all around slimy.

That said, I have to beg my Grandmother to stay out of these places on the Bayshore. :banghead:

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

What exactly is a gameroom?

When I think of one I envision nerds (such as myself) standing around computers or tables full of miniature figures. I am beginning to get the impression that my picture does not apply in this case.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Purplehood wrote:What exactly is a gameroom?
It's a place where people play video 8-liners or poker machines for money. Illegal in Texas but usually tolerated unless they become the site of more serious illegal activity like drug dealing.

- Jim

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Some information on the game rooms in the Galveston county. This was published in the Galveston Daily News earlier this year. The new Sheriff (Freddie Poor) has increased the enforcement to clean these places up. They are found in the unincorporated parts of the county.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.las ... 17a89aa5b7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”