Employer Car Searches

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Has your car ever been searched at work?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:01 pm

Yes. I work somewhere firearms are prohibited by State or Federal law.
4%
Yes. I work in a critical infrastructure facility or other facility with armed guards. Searches are routine and expected.
3%
Yes. I work somewhere firearms are legal but prohibited by company policy. We have a private lot. The search was random and unexpected.
3%
Yes. I work somewhere firearms are legal but prohibited by company policy. We share a parking lot. The search was random and unexpected.
1%
Yes. I did something to attract unwanted management attention. They asked to search my car and I consented. (please explain)
No votes
No.
89%

Total votes: 116

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Employer Car Searches

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I voted "No," but I should amend that to say that my car has never been searched at work unless I forgot my reading glasses in it, or something like that. My place of work is maybe 25 ft from my place of sleep, and my car is parked right outside my "office" door.

:mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

I've had my car searched going into a NASA facility, which has a codified prohibition against firearms. The search was not random, they had a specific threat that they were searching for.

The were searching the engine compartments of all white trucks entering the facility. They did not search the cab of the truck, or even the covered bed for that matter.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I found out recently that I can leave my weapon in the vehicle in the parking garage at work. I just can't carry into the building. Well, better than...
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

gregthehand
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gregthehand »

C-dub wrote:But have you ever signed anything that said you've read the employee handbook or your company's policies or been given a handbook that has this policy in it? Maybe no one has shown that specific page, but they didn't really have to if you've been given the book.
No and if they searched me and found one I'd just say nobody ever told me I couldn't. Which they haven't. I seriously doubt they will ever search though.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

chabouk
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by chabouk »

C-dub wrote:
gregthehand wrote: I just did a search of our internal site and we do in-fact have a policy but nobody has ever shown it to me.
But have you ever signed anything that said you've read the employee handbook or your company's policies or been given a handbook that has this policy in it? Maybe no one has shown that specific page, but they didn't really have to if you've been given the book.
Unless it's 30.06 wording, it doesn't matter, legally speaking. Oral notice isn't worth the paper it's written on. ;-)

When it comes to firing, it doesn't matter if you signed for receipt of a valid 30.06 notice, or if there's no policy at all. Fired is fired.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScottDLS »

chabouk wrote: Unless it's 30.06 wording, it doesn't matter, legally speaking. Oral notice isn't worth the paper it's written on. ;-)

When it comes to firing, it doesn't matter if you signed for receipt of a valid 30.06 notice, or if there's no policy at all. Fired is fired.
Oral notice is valid and does not require any specific wording. That's why I follow the "Don't ask, don't tell rule", so I don't inadvertently receive oral notice.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

RocTrac

Post by RocTrac »

My "commute" is 9 hours one way and through some interesting areas. My personal safety trumps company policy. I haven't bee searched and will not submit to one unless presented with a warrant.
Carl
03/Oct 09- Class taken
05/Oct 09- Packet Mailed
05 1/2 Oct- Tapping fingers on desk waiting
04/Dec. 09- Plastic came in the Mail.
Primary Dan Wesson Valor
Secondary Kimber Crimson Carry II
Third XDm 9

GhostTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by GhostTX »

I work somewhere that doesn't allow "weapons" on the premise. I've recently tried to have management change their ways, but to no avail. Just falls on deaf ears.

I do, however, commute with a gun and keep it in the car. At least, by law, I'm allowed to do that.
XD40 Service in Supertuck
"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

GhostTX wrote:I work somewhere that doesn't allow "weapons" on the premise. I've recently tried to have management change their ways, but to no avail. Just falls on deaf ears.

I do, however, commute with a gun and keep it in the car. At least, by law, I'm allowed to do that.
Until you told them and got them to give you ORAL notice, you could have legally carried in the building too. On the other hand, they could have fired you.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

GhostTX

Post by GhostTX »

ScottDLS wrote: Until you told them and got them to give you ORAL notice, you could have legally carried in the building too. On the other hand, they could have fired you.
No. It's been communicated to me in non-CHL discussions and the policy ("zero-tolerance policy") is posted in several employee notification boards. I don't think I could have pleaded ignorance if I ever was caught.
XD40 Service in Supertuck
"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

GhostTX wrote:
ScottDLS wrote: Until you told them and got them to give you ORAL notice, you could have legally carried in the building too. On the other hand, they could have fired you.
No. It's been communicated to me in non-CHL discussions and the policy ("zero-tolerance policy") is posted in several employee notification boards. I don't think I could have pleaded ignorance if I ever was caught.
Fair enough. My company has never given me oral notice, though they have non-30.06 language in handbook. I'm not asking, and hopefully they are not telling! :lol:

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

ScottDLS wrote:
chabouk wrote: Unless it's 30.06 wording, it doesn't matter, legally speaking. Oral notice isn't worth the paper it's written on. ;-)

Oral notice is valid and does not require any specific wording. That's why I follow the "Don't ask, don't tell rule", so I don't inadvertently receive oral notice.
And my point is, "Oral notice isn't worth the paper it's written on."

Got a witness?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

chabouk wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:

And my point is, "Oral notice isn't worth the paper it's written on."

Got a witness?
"They" will probably have a witness. You won't.
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

And all those new to CHL or unsure of the law (lol) remember that there is and can be a difference between violating a company policy that can get you fired and violating the law that can get you prosecuted.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TrueFlog

Post by TrueFlog »

chabouk wrote:In Derrick A. Wiley v. Department of Justice, a federal employee was suspected of having a pistol in his car, and investigators received a written tip. The investigator requested to search Wiley's car. He declined, said he was taking sick leave, and left the property. A short time later he returned and submitted to a search of his car.
That's more or less what I'd do if my company tried to conduct a search. I'd leave immediately regardless of what I did or did not have to hide. I don't know that I would consent to a search when I returned, but I suppose I'd eventually have to or else I'd run out of sick days. I might just have to start parking across the street.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”