5 of .22 Mag versus 2 of .38

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Freedom4Firearms
Posts in topic: 1

5 of .22 Mag versus 2 of .38

Post by Freedom4Firearms »

I usually carry a sub-compact .40 XD. However, there are some occasional situations that won't allow me to carry the XD and I need something very tiny and very light instead. I'm considering a North American Arms mini .22 magnum revolver or an American Derringer in .38 special. In a nutshell it comes down to five rounds of .22 magnum versus two rounds of .38 special. I would like to solicit some opinions and the reasoning behind them. I greatly appreciate any feedback. 

Thanks 

---Well, I greatly appreciate the feedback from everyone. It has given me a lot to think about. Thanks again to everyone who replied.
Last edited by Freedom4Firearms on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 5 of .22 Mag versus 2 of .38

Post by PUCKER »

I really like my NAA .22 Mag for pocket carry/deep concealment as it's LIGHT. I view it as a last-ditch/up-close-and-person weapon. It's better than nothing. But since getting my S&W Bodyguard .38 Special that's been my "Summer" gun for the pocket, it's GREAT! 5 shots, BTW.

eddieconcarne

Post by eddieconcarne »

More people have been killed by .22LR than any other round. If you shoot someone with it, the first thing they are going to do is run. The second thing they are going to do is bleed. I'd go with .22. With two shots, you can't afford to miss with the .38 and I've always found derringers to be crazy difficult to shoot accurately.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

If you need a really small gun NAA is the way to go. Most derringers aren't much smaller than a J-frame .38 or a pocket .380.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

You should consider taking a look at the Kel-Tec pocket pistols, the Ruger LCP, and similar offerings.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

If you don't already have something I would consider a 38 snubby (5 X .38) before either of your other choices, it pocket carries real well. Of the two you mention i would probabaly go with the .22 Mag.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I have shot the NAA .22 Mag and some of the derringers. I am totally unimpressed by both. Both are single action, both have lousy sights and both are slow to reload. I am in agreement get a KelTec .32 or .380 or a LCP or my favorite a .38 snub any of these will be far superior to the NAA or the Derringer and not any harder to conceal. I carry my .38 in my pocket and no one is the wiser.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I have never shot an NAA gun, but the small .22 revolvers just seem like a novelty or toy. I'll have to admit that they are cute, but I wonder if anyone has ever used one sucessfully for self-defense.

They might be useful as a back-up to your back-up gun. I can only envision their use by someone who was kidnapped and had it hidden in a pocket or in their boot. Or by a spy who was captured and held hostage. Of course, I am prejudice as I carry a .38 Special snubnose revolver.
NRA Endowment Member

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I would also recommend a KelTec, Kahr, Ruger or some other small gun. The two you mention are better than nothing, but I would not carry them. I have yet to find when I could not carry my Kahr mk40. Even in jogging shorts I can use my smartcarry and conceal it.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Lots of suggestions other than your original question.

I would rather have the 5 22mag than 2- .38s.
My preferance & YMMV
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

cheezit
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cheezit »

my mother has carried one in her purse for many years. chambered in 22mag. Ive shot it. good to about 15 ft.
Ive been thinking about getting one for my tool box.
Last edited by cheezit on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

I carry a NAA .22mag as a BBug - backup backup gun.

I've had several over the years and with enough practice one can be both fast and accurate enough for self defence. I bought mine with both cylinders, one for the magnum and one for "regular" 22 ammo. By the way, the magnum round goes off with a "crack" like a .357! It's definitely a point shooter.

I have heard of a shooting where a little .22mag was used and the recipient of those rounds was immediately incapacitated.

It wouldn't be my first or second choice if I knew I was headed into a self defence situation, but it sure beats nothing.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Ok, here's my logic.

5 shot .22 revolver: Pros: More ammo, its a gun so it might scare away a bad guy. Upon use it will engage the attackers fight or flight instincts, hopefully flight. Cons: Shot placement becomes extremely critical. Recoil is harsh, although manageable. Attacker might decide to attack you to keep from being hurt. Attacker might not recognize it as a gun contributing to an attack.

Two shot .38 derringer: Pros: Weapon has more power than a .22. Cons: Limited capacity. Short barrel/chamber reduces effective velocity thus limiting penetration and bullet expansion. Shot placement is extremely critical. Even modern ammo has trouble working well with these weapons.

In the picture you see a .38 special 2 shot derringer I borrowed for this illustration laying on top of my Ruger LCP with CT laser guard. I apologize for the quality of the photo but it was rushed so I could return the ancient abomination to its owner.

My advice stands, the LCP and similar weapons offer better capacity and performance while remaining easy to conceal. Also the LCP is slightly thinner and lighter.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G.A. Heath wrote:My advice stands, the LCP and similar weapons offer better capacity and performance while remaining easy to conceal. Also the LCP is slightly thinner and lighter.
Although I do not think much of the P3AT/LCP kind of platform from what I've seen so far, and although I unimpressed by the .380 cartridge compared to the .38 Special, I've got to agree with this assessment, if all we are going to consider as alternatives are the .22 and and the derringer. But that answer is still unsatisfactory to me, as in any situation in which I would have formerly chosen to carry my P3AT, my 340 snubbie (or any other lightweight 5 shot revolver, there are many to choose from) would have carried and been concealed just as easily. It disappears into a pocket holster, and believe me, nobody knows it's there. It is light weight - not as light as a P3AT or LCP - but still light enough that you'll not notice the difference when carrying it.

It's not hard to imagine scenarios in which you very much regret having bought either the .22 or the derringer. Example: you bought the derringer, and you are accosted by a gang of 5 "yoots" with hostile intent in a parking garage. You pull the derringer. They're thinking "5 of us... 2 boolits.... game on!" Or, you pull the 5 shot .22. They're thinking "Oh how cute! A little .22! My little sister will love that thing when I give it to her!" Or, here's one which could apply in either situation: one of the hostiles pulls a G19 out of his waistband and says "Puhleeze... :roll: I'll take your little 'ol gun too."

Unless all your clothes are make of skin tight lycra, it is hard to imagine a scenario where you couldn't conceal an alloy-framed snubbie or an LCR.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

blue

Post by blue »

:iagree: T.A.M. is right on target!

Generally a .38 cal is considered to be the minimum size to get the job done. This goes back to the early 1900's with MANY 'examples' of it JUST BARELY doing the job, and many times it has FAILED. That is why most LEO, and MILITARY moved up in power.

Those .22mags are losing most of their power with the SHORT barrel's and are very close to the .22lr which is VERY WEAK out of that short of a barrel. (chronograph them-shocking!)

The ONLY thing going for it, is that everyone present may be laughing so hard that you can get a head start on a exit.

:cheers2:

Blue

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”