How to check if a premise is 51%?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton


RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 903
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:45 pm
Location: Houston, Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#16

Post by RossA » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:43 am

I once walked into a restaurant and sat down to eat lunch, carrying as always. After finishing lunch, I walked out and only then saw the red sign on an inside wall where it was only visible as you were either leaving or looking out the entry door, which I didn't do while I was there. I'm certain that I was in violation, and I'm certain that it wasn't my fault, but I wouldn't want to have to explain it to a jury.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

User avatar

warnmar10
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#17

Post by warnmar10 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:47 am

RossA wrote:I once walked into a restaurant and sat down to eat lunch, carrying as always. After finishing lunch, I walked out and only then saw the red sign on an inside wall where it was only visible as you were either leaving or looking out the entry door, which I didn't do while I was there. I'm certain that I was in violation, and I'm certain that it wasn't my fault, but I wouldn't want to have to explain it to a jury.
There is a 51% chance they were displaying the wrong signage. I've reported 2 restaurants for displaying red when they were licensed blue. Both were corrected within days of reporting to TABC and neither put up 30.06 afterward.

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 11995
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#18

Post by C-dub » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:25 pm

There's also a TABC APP for iPhones.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member


WTR
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1427
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#19

Post by WTR » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:44 pm

If it is posted, I abide by it. If not, I carry on. I carry concealed anyway. I don't go looking for reasons not to carry.

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#20

Post by Lynyrd » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:13 pm

warnmar10 wrote:
RossA wrote:I once walked into a restaurant and sat down to eat lunch, carrying as always. After finishing lunch, I walked out and only then saw the red sign on an inside wall where it was only visible as you were either leaving or looking out the entry door, which I didn't do while I was there. I'm certain that I was in violation, and I'm certain that it wasn't my fault, but I wouldn't want to have to explain it to a jury.
There is a 51% chance they were displaying the wrong signage. I've reported 2 restaurants for displaying red when they were licensed blue. Both were corrected within days of reporting to TABC and neither put up 30.06 afterward.
:iagree: I have also seen two different restaurants take down a 51% sign after I filed a complaint on the TABC website. Both of those were supposed to have the blue sign according to their license. Neither of them put up a 30.0X either.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

warnmar10
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 am

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#21

Post by warnmar10 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:51 pm

Lynyrd wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:There is a 51% chance they were displaying the wrong signage. I've reported 2 restaurants for displaying red when they were licensed blue. Both were corrected within days of reporting to TABC and neither put up 30.06 afterward.
:iagree: I have also seen two different restaurants take down a 51% sign after I filed a complaint on the TABC website. Both of those were supposed to have the blue sign according to their license. Neither of them put up a 30.0X either.
If only the TX attorney general's office was as efficient in addressing invalid signage issues as the TABC is...

User avatar

oohrah
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: McLennan County

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#22

Post by oohrah » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:42 am

RossA wrote:I once walked into a restaurant and sat down to eat lunch, carrying as always. After finishing lunch, I walked out and only then saw the red sign on an inside wall where it was only visible as you were either leaving or looking out the entry door, which I didn't do while I was there. I'm certain that I was in violation, and I'm certain that it wasn't my fault, but I wouldn't want to have to explain it to a jury.
However, it's my understanding that you are in violation if the place is 51%, even if a sign is not posted. IOW, you are responsible for knowing the law/restriction. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

User avatar

C-dub
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 11995
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: DFW

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#23

Post by C-dub » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:11 am

oohrah wrote:
RossA wrote:I once walked into a restaurant and sat down to eat lunch, carrying as always. After finishing lunch, I walked out and only then saw the red sign on an inside wall where it was only visible as you were either leaving or looking out the entry door, which I didn't do while I was there. I'm certain that I was in violation, and I'm certain that it wasn't my fault, but I wouldn't want to have to explain it to a jury.
However, it's my understanding that you are in violation if the place is 51%, even if a sign is not posted. IOW, you are responsible for knowing the law/restriction. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
You are mostly correct. A violation has occurred, but there is a defense to prosecution if the sign is not posted or not posted correctly.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.

NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member

User avatar

LucasMcCain
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:00 pm
Location: DFW, Texas

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#24

Post by LucasMcCain » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:33 pm

C-dub wrote:There's also a TABC APP for iPhones.
This is what I came here to mention. I don't know if there is an android version, but there probably is. The iphone version works really well for me. You can even submit a complaint right through the app if a business has the wrong sign up. It's really convenient. We were at the Melting Pot in the Arlington Highlands a while back, and they had a photocopy of a red sign up behind the bar. I doubted it was correct, but disarmed and had our meal. Looked them up later and it was listed as a blue sign location. Submitted a complaint through the app, but haven't been back to see if they changed signs.
I carry a gun so that I can go home to my family, and if need be, help you go home to yours.

I am not a lawyer.

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 4005
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#25

Post by Jusme » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 pm

LucasMcCain wrote:
C-dub wrote:There's also a TABC APP for iPhones.
This is what I came here to mention. I don't know if there is an android version, but there probably is. The iphone version works really well for me. You can even submit a complaint right through the app if a business has the wrong sign up. It's really convenient. We were at the Melting Pot in the Arlington Highlands a while back, and they had a photocopy of a red sign up behind the bar. I doubted it was correct, but disarmed and had our meal. Looked them up later and it was listed as a blue sign location. Submitted a complaint through the app, but haven't been back to see if they changed signs.

Same for me, back around Christmas, I stopped in a the Lone Star Oyster bar, on Bryant Irvin Road. At the front door they had a sign that said both licensed and unlicensed carry were prohibited. I opened the door without going in, and saw two red 51% signs above the bar area. I did not go in, but looked it up later, and saw that it was listed as a blue gun sign premise. I filed a complaint, but circumstances, have not put me back in that area, to see if it was changed. I would like to be able to find out through the TABC app, exactly what, if any, action was taken.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 6037
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#26

Post by Pawpaw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:50 pm

LucasMcCain wrote:
C-dub wrote:There's also a TABC APP for iPhones.
This is what I came here to mention. I don't know if there is an android version, but there probably is. The iphone version works really well for me. You can even submit a complaint right through the app if a business has the wrong sign up. It's really convenient. We were at the Melting Pot in the Arlington Highlands a while back, and they had a photocopy of a red sign up behind the bar. I doubted it was correct, but disarmed and had our meal. Looked them up later and it was listed as a blue sign location. Submitted a complaint through the app, but haven't been back to see if they changed signs.
Yep. It's available for both.

http://www.tabc.texas.gov/mobile/index.asp
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


1911 10MM
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:59 am

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#27

Post by 1911 10MM » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:33 am

I don't understand some of the requirements. Dirty Jobs Brewery in Downtown Mansfield, Texas is a new Brewery but sells for onsite consumption. I went in there unarmed because I was positive it was a 51% location as they serve no food only beer they brew. When I looked at the TABC app they show a no on red gun sign. How can this be? My receipt for beer purchased there shows Dirty Job Brewery. I didn't look for a blue or red sign as I was positive it was 51%.

User avatar

Keith B
Moderator
Posts in topic: 13
Posts: 17915
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:29 pm

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#28

Post by Keith B » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:36 am

1911 10MM wrote:I don't understand some of the requirements. Dirty Jobs Brewery in Downtown Mansfield, Texas is a new Brewery but sells for onsite consumption. I went in there unarmed because I was positive it was a 51% location as they serve no food only beer they brew. When I looked at the TABC app they show a no on red gun sign. How can this be? My receipt for beer purchased there shows Dirty Job Brewery. I didn't look for a blue or red sign as I was positive it was 51%.
As a brewery, they probably make more than 51% of there sales for off-site consumption. The on-site is not where they make there money apparently.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4


1911 10MM
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:59 am

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#29

Post by 1911 10MM » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:43 am

Keith B wrote:
1911 10MM wrote:I don't understand some of the requirements. Dirty Jobs Brewery in Downtown Mansfield, Texas is a new Brewery but sells for onsite consumption. I went in there unarmed because I was positive it was a 51% location as they serve no food only beer they brew. When I looked at the TABC app they show a no on red gun sign. How can this be? My receipt for beer purchased there shows Dirty Job Brewery. I didn't look for a blue or red sign as I was positive it was 51%.
As a brewery, they probably make more than 51% of there sales for off-site consumption. The on-site is not where they make there money apparently.
Interesting. I guess I won't disarm next time I visit. Looks like a win win!

User avatar

Scott in Houston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1462
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:19 am
Location: Houston

Re: How to check if a premise is 51%?

#30

Post by Scott in Houston » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:56 pm

I've found almost no places that have tables to serve food to be 51%. LIterally, over the last 12 years of carrying, I look all the time and if they serve food as a restaurant, they're not 51%. Even a lot of places that you'd think would bel because they focus on alcohol like BJ's Brewery, etc.

One exception is The Flying Saucer. They have tables and serve food, but are 51%.

The iPhone App is very handy.

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”