Fingerprinting

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dac1842
Posts in topic: 1

Fingerprinting

Post by dac1842 »

I sure wish our beloved state would develop a process where when making application for any type of license that requires fingerprinting you did not have to get prints for all other types of licensing.
I have been fingerprinted for law enforcement, private investigator, process server, insurance agent, ems, and God knows what else. With todays technology there is no reason the state cannot store them electronically, then if you already have them on file, you complete an affadavit of identity with a Notary Public who has you place both thumb prints on the paper, sends it to the state, the state verifies the same prints and begins the current background check.
As many times as I have been fingerprinted over the years they must have a file drawer just for me somewhere.

Skipper5

Re: Fingerprinting

Post by Skipper5 »

dac1842 wrote:I sure wish our beloved state would develop a process where when making application for any type of license that requires fingerprinting you did not have to get prints for all other types of licensing.
I have been fingerprinted for law enforcement, private investigator, process server, insurance agent, ems, and God knows what else. With todays technology there is no reason the state cannot store them electronically, then if you already have them on file, you complete an affadavit of identity with a Notary Public who has you place both thumb prints on the paper, sends it to the state, the state verifies the same prints and begins the current background check.
As many times as I have been fingerprinted over the years they must have a file drawer just for me somewhere.
I would agree as it relates for prints on file at DPS that could be used for FBI as well.... such as local CHL and federal NCIC/TCIC authorizations...Good Point...so many times for the same 'ole fingers! Ha.
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

alvins

Post by alvins »

yes all that technology costs money and texas doesnt have any right now.usually government agencies are a little behind current trends.its not like they can just go to the computer store and buy the equipment.

gringop

Post by gringop »

The state doesn't verify your criminal background status, the FBI does. With the previous ink system and the new electronic system there is a chain of evidence as to your actual identity and your fingerprints. The fingerprinting agency confirms that your photos, your ID and your fingerprints belong to the same person. With that info, DPS sends your fingerprints to the FBI for a background check every time you renew.

DPS doesn't care about your "law enforcement, private investigator, process server, insurance agent, ems, and God knows what else" past. Why should they? They send your prints off and get a good guy/bad guy answer from the FBI. The FBI throws your prints in the trash after they run the background check.

If you are willing to be legally responsible for perfectly comparing thumbprints for every single CHL renewal in the State of Texas, give DPS a call. Maybe they will take you up on it.

As someone who has worked in the computer security field, I don't care how many times you have proven your credentials in the past, every time you log into one of my systems you would need to prove your credentials. If you don't want to do that, you don't get in.

Thank goodness the DPS understands that.

Gringop

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”