Interesting story at the range today

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Liberty
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Interesting story at the range today

Post by Liberty »

It always amazed me how someone can get angry at being called a name or even being shown a single digit, particularly when coming from a stranger.

Perhaps their mothers never taught the rhyme "Stick and stones can break my bones but names will never hurt me. Or heard the song "These are only words" There are enough things in our lives going on to make us angry, but getting angry about , middle fingers or unfriendly words from a stranger. doesn't cause really anyone any harm. Our CHLs are issued to allow us to protect our lives and well being, not to ensure we get the last word.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

goheeled wrote:I guess technically he did de-escalate the situation. Not the smartest move but in the end they all walked away, steering clear of violence. I hope he's had time to look back on it and realize he could have made a better decision.
Given that he is still bragging about it to strangers a year later, I think it is safe to say this doofus has learned nothing.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Really dumb on too many levels to count. If true he is lucky he got away un-injured. I used to know some real bikers.
Never bluff. Avoidance is the best tactic.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

danpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by danpaw »

This is the very thing I struggle with the most. How much do I take before I do something? If I'm alone I think I could back down quite a bit, but if my wife and or my daughter and my grand daughter are with me, I don't know.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

danpaw wrote:but if my wife and or my daughter and my grand daughter are with me, I don't know
If you or they are not in physical danger, then you take it all.

The words won't get you killed and shouldn't get them killed.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

danpaw wrote:This is the very thing I struggle with the most. How much do I take before I do something? If I'm alone I think I could back down quite a bit, but if my wife and or my daughter and my grand daughter are with me, I don't know.
"How much I will take" is pretty well stated in Chapter 9.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... m/PE.9.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't recall it saying to defend a woman's ears by threatening force, nor deadly force or escalating to a point to which either would be necessary. But to prevent serious physical harm, kidnapping etc, sure.

Sec. 9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect a third person if:

"Watch it buddy" implies an "or else"
Sec. 9.04. THREATS AS JUSTIFIABLE FORCE.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/d ... m/PE.9.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PENAL CODE
TITLE 2. GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY
CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY

Sec. 9.34. PROTECTION OF LIFE OR HEALTH. (a) A person is justified in using force, but not deadly force, ...

Lots of good stuff in that chapter worth knowing ... I find myself reviewing it, but still go by Mr. Miaggi's advice "Best defense ... not be there" :cool:
Last edited by RPB on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

danpaw

Post by danpaw »

I agree. I always avoid places where trouble is likely to be but I know it's not 100%.

rspeir

Post by rspeir »

I'm inclined to think the CHL holder (not the topic creator) made the whole thing up but then I sometimes underestimate the stupidity of people.

olafpfj
Posts in topic: 3

Post by olafpfj »

rspeir wrote:I'm inclined to think the CHL holder (not the topic creator) made the whole thing up but then I sometimes underestimate the stupidity of people.
:iagree:

Too much of that story just doesn't seem plausible.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Topic author
lws380

Post by lws380 »

olafpfj wrote:
rspeir wrote:I'm inclined to think the CHL holder (not the topic creator) made the whole thing up but then I sometimes underestimate the stupidity of people.

I certainly thought of that too. However, I've been in the business of talking and listening to people for 35 plus years. This account seemed real to me as best I could tell. I just don't think the person telling the story realized how wrong he may have been and that there were other options for him. It worked out ok for him then, but it may not, if there is a future like incident. I posted it for a few reasons. First, to point out a scenario where someone did not act in the best manner, IMO. Secondly, to see if anyone knew of any laws that may have been broken. Lastly, to be a reminder to me and others that de-escelation is an important aspect of CHLers. Those are good reminders for us all, no matter if the story was true or not.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

CC Italian wrote:It's a slang term that usually means someone is easily influenced or manipulated as far as I remember. I am in my early 30s and I am sorry to say I think this is something my generation and maybe people a few years older started. As far as I know the first time I heard it was in the early-mid 90s during my 8th grade or freshmen year. I think it was one of those things that spawned off from grunge culture but I could be wrong.

I am sorry to also say that we used the term as a form of hazing to kids who were loaners and followers who tried to enter our groups or cliques without knowing us.
It's a reference to a specific part of the male anatomy. The term has been in use for quite a long time. I was probably in my 20s the first time I can recall hearing it, and I'm 59 now.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

talltex

Post by talltex »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
CC Italian wrote:It's a slang term that usually means someone is easily influenced or manipulated as far as I remember. I am in my early 30s and I am sorry to say I think this is something my generation and maybe people a few years older started. As far as I know the first time I heard it was in the early-mid 90s during my 8th grade or freshmen year. I think it was one of those things that spawned off from grunge culture but I could be wrong.

I am sorry to also say that we used the term as a form of hazing to kids who were loaners and followers who tried to enter our groups or cliques without knowing us.
It's a reference to a specific part of the male anatomy. The term has been in use for quite a long time. I was probably in my 20s the first time I can recall hearing it, and I'm 59 now.
55yo here, and it's always been used as a substitute for the short form of Richard...as in "that guy is a real "tool"!
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

danpaw wrote:This is the very thing I struggle with the most. How much do I take before I do something? If I'm alone I think I could back down quite a bit, but if my wife and or my daughter and my grand daughter are with me, I don't know.
If one isn't prepared to take a lot of verbal abuse, even if it involves them hearing the vilest of verbal abuse. They may want to concider not carrying.

We often vent our anger not because it does any good other than it makes us feel better. A man who keeps the peace, shows more love than someone who reacts on their anger and gets hurt killed or arrested. When this happens we lose our ability to care and protect.

Sticks and stones will break our bones but names will never hurt me nor will it hurt our loved ones.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

strider67

Post by strider67 »

olafpfj wrote:

:iagree: I think I have to call bully-bull on the story. I think this phrase, which I have used before, applies here: "The empty vessel makes the most noise".
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

apostate

Post by apostate »

RPB wrote:Lots of good stuff in that chapter worth knowing ... I find myself reviewing it, but still go by Mr. Miaggi's advice "Best defense ... not be there" :cool:
:iagree: Especially Sec. 9.31.(b)(4)

"The use of force against another is not justified [...] if the actor provoked the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”