CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Big Ben
Posts in topic: 6

CHL for Houston Teachers

Post by Big Ben »

Hello all,
I am the husband of a teacher for a local independent school district in the greater Houston area (Northeast side of town). I saw that SGA was offering free CHL classes for teachers in the month of February. When I called them last week, all of the classes were full, and they did not know if they were going to do the promotion again.

I am trying to find a local CHL instructor who might be interested in partnering with me to to help get CHL's in the hands of our teachers and school administrators. My wife has a few friends that are interested in attending the class as well, and if we can get an instructor who is willing to partner with us I think we could get a good size class together. I would like to do the class on a Saturday preferable on the North or Northeast side of town if possible.

All feedback welcome.
CHL since 4/2010
NRA Member
IDPA Member
"The tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

Taurus.40
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL for Houston Teachers

Post by Taurus.40 »

I can get some info for one in the Beaumont area. He's doing one on Feb. 2 but is full with 150 students. He's going to do another on March 2.
NRA member

Topic author
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Thanks so far for the info guys. Still looking for someone who will partner with us here closer to the Houston area. I would really like to see our teachers and school administrators get CHL's and potentially spread the word about pushing for concealed carry allowed in our schools. If anyone has any leads please drop me a line.

Help me arm the people responsible for the most valuable thing in the world, our children.
CHL since 4/2010
NRA Member
IDPA Member
"The tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of patriots and tyrants" - Thomas Jefferson

JaredW

Post by JaredW »

5 Rings Tactical is offering free CHL classes to teachers; taught by HPD officers.

http://5ringstactical.com/classes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaredW

Topic author
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Thanks for lead I have emailed the contact from the link. You guys are the best as always.
CHL since 4/2010
NRA Member
IDPA Member

Topic author
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

So, I am now back to square one as the instructor for the above provided link has shut down his course. Open to any suggestions. I was really hoping to put something together to benefit local teachers and school administrators wanting to get their CHL.
As always thanks for any help you guys can give.
CHL since 4/2010
NRA Member
IDPA Member

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 4

Post by baldeagle »

Isn't Charles in Houston? Surely he knows folks who can help.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

TDDude
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TDDude »

Getting these teachers the plastic in their hands is great, but what about getting them trained?

I sincerly hope that these Houston area school district police departments are planning ahead for all these packing teachers. It seems likely that the Texas legislature is going to change the landscape of what a "Gun Free Zone" is and some sort of plan needs to be in place.

Similar to fire drills, teachers need to already have a plan inplace for when those loud booms start happening.

I wish I could afford to give classes away but I cannot. I've been known to give reduced rates for certain folks, I can't do it for free.
Ray F.
Luke 22:35-38 "Gear up boys, I gotta go and it's gonna get rough." JC
-- Darrell Royal, former UT football coach - "If worms carried pistols, birds wouldn't eat 'em."

howdy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by howdy »

Do you already have a range and a place to teach the courses or do you need an instructor AND range and classroom?
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Topic author
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Getting these teachers the plastic in their hands is great, but what about getting them trained?

I sincerely hope that these Houston area school district police departments are planning ahead for all these packing teachers. It seems likely that the Texas legislature is going to change the landscape of what a "Gun Free Zone" is and some sort of plan needs to be in place.
I agree, I do not think teachers getting their CHL should be the final requirement to enabling teachers and school administrators to carry on campus. I believe there should be specialized training having to deal with scenarios that are specific to schools. My hope is that by teachers and administrators getting their CHLs will raise awareness to the cause, and perhaps be a spring board into getting local ISDs to take action.

One of the things that scares me the most is something I read regarding the shooting at Lonestar College - North Harris. This report http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=8964635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; done by ABC 13 talks about how the campus police officers would not approach the suspects or the victims until Harris County Sheriffs Officers arrived on scene a few minutes after they did. It also discusses how they rely on HCSO to come in and assist and take control. Now granted my wife is not an employee of the Lonestar College system, but I would not want her unarmed in an active shooter situation waiting on police who are waiting on more police.
Do you already have a range and a place to teach the courses or do you need an instructor AND range and classroom?
I do have a place where a class could be held. I have not secured a range to work with yet, however I do have contacts at various ranges around Houston, and worst case scenario we could just go rent some lanes at a range and use them for our class.
CHL since 4/2010
NRA Member
IDPA Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Big Ben wrote:

I sincerely hope that these Houston area school district police departments are planning ahead for all these packing teachers. It seems likely that the Texas legislature is going to change the landscape of what a "Gun Free Zone" is and some sort of plan needs to be in place.
I agree, I do not think teachers getting their CHL should be the final requirement to enabling teachers and school administrators to carry on campus. I believe there should be specialized training having to deal with scenarios that are specific to schools. My hope is that by teachers and administrators getting their CHLs will raise awareness to the cause, and perhaps be a spring board into getting local ISDs to take action.

One of the things that scares me the most is something I read regarding the shooting at Lonestar College - North Harris. This report http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=8964635" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; done by ABC 13 talks about how the campus police officers would not approach the suspects or the victims until Harris County Sheriffs Officers arrived on scene a few minutes after they did. It also discusses how they rely on HCSO to come in and assist and take control. Now granted my wife is not an employee of the Lonestar College system, but I would not want her unarmed in an active shooter situation waiting on police who are waiting on more police.
I do have a place where a class could be held. I have not secured a range to work with yet, however I do have contacts at various ranges around Houston, and worst case scenario we could just go rent some lanes at a range and use them for our class.
I don't have a problem with additional training, but people need to understand that teachers receive more training and practical application of conflict resolution than most other professions combined. A high school teacher lives it everyday.
Give me a 15 year teacher to talk someone down over a 3 year cop any day of the week.
As for the rest of it, don't shoot unless someone with gun lacking a password breaks through the door.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

CC Italian

Post by CC Italian »

but people need to understand that teachers receive more training and practical application of conflict resolution than most other professions combined. A high school teacher lives it everyday.
True but the ones who get a ton of that type of training are the Special Ed. teachers. Man do they deal with a lot!

I am special ed. certified but don't teach it. The continuing education for a teacher is never ending. Just like any other professional career but those special ed. teachers deal with so much.

jmra

Post by jmra »

CC Italian wrote:
but people need to understand that teachers receive more training and practical application of conflict resolution than most other professions combined. A high school teacher lives it everyday.
True but the ones who get a ton of that type of training are the Special Ed. teachers. Man do they deal with a lot!

I am special ed. certified but don't teach it. The continuing education for a teacher is never ending. Just like any other professional career but those special ed. teachers deal with so much.
I am SpEd also. But all of our teachers are required to undergo conflict resolution training.

Here's the deal;
No one is going to expect, or allow for that matter, an armed teacher to clear a building. Once a lock down is issued that teacher will be expected to lock their room and follow protocol. I'm just not sure what additional training that requires.

Now if you want to provide additional instruction on the best forms of concealment for the environment and that kind of stuff, I understand completely. But teachers don't need to be trained to act like LEO because that is not the function in which they will be serving.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

howdy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by howdy »

It would be great if Teachers were only in the classroom. My Daughter is a first grade teacher and she is in the classroom, lunchroom, "specials" room, playground.....She said that EVERY practice lockdown was pre-announced and ALL kids were in their homeroom at the time of the practice. In reality, some of her kids could be in the restroom, going to the clinic, etc, and she would be hard pressed to lock them out of the room. She said the district has not covered what she should do if they were NOT in their classroom and bad things started to happen. They all line up in the halls at the end of the day to go home. Some go on the bus, some walk, some have parents pick them up. There is alot of opportunity for "what-if"scenario training. I was a Federal Flight Deck Officer before I retired from Delta Air Lines. We had VERY specific ROE and we were not allowed to leave the cockpit during a threat. We trained for different scenarios but 99% was for protecting the cockpit.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”