Can I carry a handgun if I am drinking alcohol?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Can I carry a handgun if I am drinking alcohol?

Post by longtooth »

Well said Maam. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 11

Post by E.Marquez »

TexasGal wrote:What I find so interesting is there are so many people who want to endlessly split legal hairs to be able to tell themselves they can carry a gun and drink.
I have to wonder why they are willing to risk:
A long car ride in bracelets.
Hoping someone picks up the phone during your one call.
Missed work.
Explanations to people they would rather not tell.
Loss of credibility.
Money out the wazoo.
Risking your ability to carry at all for a long time.
Etc.

All for a drink?
For me it is not worth it.

Again still, it is NOT splitting legal hairs.. It is the law.. the same set of laws that allow you to carry the gun you do now concealed.. The same laws that say you can carry it concealed IF you do THIS, but not THAT. You wiling choose to follow them :cheers2: ..As we all do. :tiphat:

The law says, don't carry if intoxicated.. Really, it's not that hard to get. We have a legal, morel and ethical responsibility to KNOW the law, then follow it.
I find it interesting there are some people who want to look at, read, understand the law in question then denounce others for wanting to follow it. :thumbs2:

If one is afraid to carry because even though your following the law in question you MIGHT come in contact with a LEO who MIGHT not understand, believe in, or follow the law as written.. Or misjudge your current condition... and cause you A long car ride in bracelets.
Missed work.
Loss of credibility.
Money out the wazoo.

Then Id suggest not carrying at all.. That same risk is out there for every other restriction and possibly violation in the PC... All but two of which you can be arrested for (last I checked it was just two non arrestable ).

And lastly, it's good to discuss the laws that are specific to something we do, that's not the same as self justifying abusing it.. Knowledge is power, power is good.

Ignorance of the law is only held against US, the citizen.. Our system does not penleaze LEO's , Judge or Jury for ignorance of the law generally, but the citizen must know it and how it effects their actions.

Conviction rates lead us to understand, Alcohol and carry is not an issue.. There are not a lot of folks being caught carrying while intoxicated.. So really it is just a discussion on the law, and what it IS, not what it is often mistakenly purported to be... Instructors being the most often reported offenders.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

We all kow that we give up our right to defend ourselves if we drink alcohol or take cold medication.

The second amendment specifically makes this exception where it says.........wait! It isn't there!

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

recaffeination

Post by recaffeination »

03Lightningrocks wrote::deadhorse:
They have drugs now that can help you control those impulses.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 8

Post by ScottDLS »

E.Marquez wrote:
TexasGal wrote:What I find so interesting is there are so many people who want to endlessly split legal hairs to be able to tell themselves they can carry a gun and drink.
I have to wonder why they are willing to risk:
A long car ride in bracelets.
Missed work.
Loss of credibility.
Money out the wazoo.
Etc.

All for a drink?
For me it is not worth it.

Again still, it is NOT splitting legal hairs.. It is the law.. the same set of laws that allow you to carry the gun you do now concealed.. The same laws that say you can carry it concealed IF you do THIS, but not THAT. You wiling choose to follow them :cheers2: ..As we all do. :tiphat:

The law says, don't carry if intoxicated.. Really, it's not that hard to get. We have a legal, morel and ethical responsibility to KNOW the law, then follow it.
I find it interesting there are some people who want to look at, read, understand the law in question then denounce others for wanting to follow it. :thumbs2:

If one is afraid to carry because even though your following the law in question you MIGHT come in contact with a LEO who MIGHT not understand, believe in, or follow the law as written.. Or misjudge your current condition... and cause you A long car ride in bracelets.
Missed work.
Loss of credibility.
Money out the wazoo.

Then Id suggest not carrying at all.. That same risk is out there for every other restriction and possibly violation in the PC... All but two of which you can be arrested for (last I checked it was just two non arrestable ).

And lastly, it's good to discuss the laws that are specific to something we do, that's not the same as self justifying abusing it.. Knowledge is power, power is good.

Ignorance of the law is only held against US, the citizen.. Our system does not penleaze LEO's , Judge or Jury for ignorance of the law generally, but the citizen must know it and how it effects their actions.

Conviction rates lead us to understand, Alcohol and carry is not an issue.. There are not a lot of folks being caught carrying while intoxicated.. So really it is just a discussion on the law, and what it IS, not what it is often mistakenly purported to be... Instructors being the most often reported offenders.
:iagree:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasGal »

I am certainly not saying the law should not be discussed and understood clearly. I am just saying over the past few years I have read many posts that seem to center more on the person wanting to be able to both drink and carry without coming up against an officer who will deem them impaired. Having been in a relationship at one time for 11 years with an alcoholic, I see a few posts sounding like the endless arguments he put forth that he could safely drive a car and drink because he always had.
It would be nice to have the law list only a BAC whether is was zero or .08 and leave the opinion of the officer out of it. It would be plain black and white at least for alcohol but that would not address the influence of drugs/exhaustion/other mental impairments, etc that are not so easily tested for. Only the observations of the officer's present would be a viable way to handle that and we are back to square one. The law is the law but judges and courts and police officers do interpret it differently. One needs to know the flavor the courts give it in you own area.
As for not carrying if you are worried about being arrested, I think a person can carry without undue fear of being in trouble if they do study the law and don't do any of the three S's. Doing stupid things with stupid people in stupid places. I consider insisting on drinking while carrying to fall under the three S's rule as does pushing the envelope on signs. Do so with my blessings if you are happy to accept the added risk of the consequences. Instructors should not tell students something is illegal if is not. But telling them they will not be at risk for pushing the boundaries is not doing them any favors.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

The second post should've ended the thread IMO...

:lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

gigag04 wrote:The second post should've ended the thread IMO...

That's very often the case, but then some of us would need to go find a new hobby or something.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 17

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

bizarrenormality wrote:

That's very often the case, but then some of us would need to go find a new hobby or something.

Yep... What is really fun is watching a thread go in a complete circle and come back again. The trick is keeping count of how many times it happens. We have about three on this one so far. :mrgreen:

Just to be sure I am not confused. It is OK for me to get catter walling drunk and carry... Just so I am not intoxicated? Correct? :biggrinjester:

fickman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by fickman »

E.Marquez wrote:Again still, it is NOT splitting legal hairs.. It is the law.. the same set of laws that allow you to carry the gun you do now concealed.. The same laws that say you can carry it concealed IF you do THIS, but not THAT. You wiling choose to follow them :cheers2: ..As we all do. :tiphat:

Missed work.
Loss of credibility.
Money out the wazoo.

Native Texian

fickman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by fickman »

:smash:
Native Texian

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Just to be sure I am not confused. It is OK for me to get catter walling drunk and carry... Just so I am not intoxicated? Correct? :biggrinjester:
As long as you're not brandishing in a post office bathroom while wearing a CHL sash and tiara.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 17

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

bayouhazard wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote: Just to be sure I am not confused. It is OK for me to get catter walling drunk and carry... Just so I am not intoxicated? Correct? :biggrinjester:
As long as you're not brandishing in a post office bathroom while wearing a CHL sash and tiara.
I mean no disrespect but do you have one of them there fancy code and section numbers so I can verify this information. You know, like a 63.05 or something. I am also curious about whether or not this law covers the size of my tiara and what happens if I am also wearing a bunny rabbit costume.

o b juan

Post by o b juan »

Where in Texas Law is DUI ? I cannot find it
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

apostate

Post by apostate »

o b juan wrote:Where in Texas Law is DUI ? I cannot find it
DUI is in the Alcoholic Beverage Code. DWI is in the Penal Code.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”