CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
birdman253
Posts in topic: 1

First Time Today!!!!!

Post by birdman253 »

Today I experienced another first.

I had to swap out a "super secret" decoder box at Time Warner Cable's office in McAllen. Jumped put of the truck with box in hand, hoping there was not a line, and get this done quick. Walked up to enter the office and what did I see? A valid 30.06 sign posted to the left side of the door.

This is the first valid 30.06 I have ever seen that was not on a medical facility. First I just stopped and stared, and then had to do the walk of shame back to the truck to disarm. Several people watching, so I didn't want to be seen storing my handgun, so I had to drive around to the other side of the building to do so. I finally made it inside, and took care of my business. I then asked the clerk for the proper mailing address to write their management a letter. He gave it to me, and asked if there was anything he could do to help. I said no, he had been great, but I felt compelled to write and complain about the sign they have posted to the left of the door. He just looked at me, and said, "Please do. Some of us don't like it either."

Now a request. I have seen some sample letters to businesses posted, but my search skills are not up to par, and I can't find them. Does anybody have a link to them, or have a copy they could send me? I can compose a new one, but the one I saw is great, and I would like to use it as a template.

Thanks for putting up with the little rant!

baldeagle

Re: First Time Today!!!!!

Post by baldeagle »

Whatever you put in the letter, be sure to include something along these lines. "Your lack of concern for the safety of your customers has me seriously considering finding another vendor."
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

baldeagle wrote:Whatever you put in the letter, be sure to include something along these lines. "Your lack of concern for the safety of your customers has me seriously considering finding another vendor."
That's the beauty of T-W's business plan. There is usually not another vendor. You can have T-W or you go to satellite at least in the areas I've had TV/internet service.

The San Diego area has two carriers, T-W and Cox, and their areas do not overlap. Apart from the satellite folks, you get one or the other depending not on what you prefer, but on your address.

I hope to avoid T-W in our new home in the hill country, or am I jumping from the frying pan to the fire?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

tommyg
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tommyg »

Time Warner is impossible to deal with. You either put up with them or find another provider. A letter won't hurt but it is a waste of stamps it will end up in a trash can. All Time Warner locations are posted with valid signs :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: go to TEXAS3006. com for more information
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

spolct

Post by spolct »

I found this on another forum and bookmarked it 'just in case'. haven't had to send a letter yet but here ya go:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/con ... ctory.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Make your letter of protest brief - it'll have greater impact.

No one will read a long diatribe...

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

Abraham wrote:Make your letter of protest brief - it'll have greater impact.

No one will read a long diatribe...
I must disagree. If you have the ability to get "creatively vitriolic" in a long diatribe, -without- resorting to curse words or foul imprecations, it DOES get their attention. I had an "incident" with Comcast several months back regarding their substandard customer service, and substandard service in general. I think my email to them was somewhere around four or five pages.

I got a call from one of their corporate big dogs within 12 hours, and got the issues ironed out rather quickly.

This is after five years of calls, complaints, and short-and-brief letters, all of which went nowhere. And as has been pointed out, unless you're willing to go satellite, the cable companies have monopolies in their areas of operation; there is no competition to go to.

---

To the original post, Comcast, Time-Warner, and the like are ALL likely to have anti-gun, anti-rights corporate policies. Even if you have a choice between Comcast and Time-Warner, it's really not a choice. Might as well choose between Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer, or Janet Napolitano and Janet Reno. They're -all- big-media corporations, staffed at the top by uber-liberals, and policies set accordingly.

japacejr

Post by japacejr »

Funny, encountered my first unexpected 3006 sign today and it was also at Time Warner Cable, this time in Plano. It is posted on Texas3006.com but I didn't even think to look.

Fortunately it was early and I parked where I could see the door (and notice the sign) before I got out. Even so, I drove away to disarm in an empty restaurant parking lot before returning.

For me it just further confirmed my decision to drop TWC. I was there to drop off my cable box & modem. After 10 years of poor service I finally decided to let someone else give me poor service for a while.
12/17/2011: CHL Received

Mel

Post by Mel »

There IS another option. Broadcast TV.

I've never had cable or satellite TV and probably never will.
I refuse to pay for TV then watch commercial too. It should be one or the other.

I have better things to do than watch TV anyway.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

tommyg wrote:Time Warner is impossible to deal with. You either put up with them or find another provider. A letter won't hurt but it is a waste of stamps it will end up in a trash can. All Time Warner locations are posted with valid signs :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: go to TEXAS3006. com for more information
:iagree: I now have DirecTV because I refused to deal with them. My son and my neighbor both had TWC and now neither of them does. Customers in this area left them in droves when Verizon came through with FIOS. I don't believe that their corporate structure has any concern for customer satisfaction on any level. I cannot imagine how they would be concerned with CHL at all.

But I always believe it is worth the time and the stamp to send them a protest. Just don't get your hopes up about it having any impact.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

treeman

Post by treeman »

Thought it ironic that I ran into an unexpected 30.06 sign yesterday at Fedex shipping office in Longview. I was using the Fedex shipping label that S&W had sent me to return my Shield to repair the rear sight. Saw the 30.06 sign as soon as parked near the office door and had to disarm. Guess I was surprised that Fedex was anti-gun since they allow shipment of firearms and are used almost exclusively by S&W for warrenty returns.

flechero

Post by flechero »

When I turned in my TW set top box I stood at the door knocking.... they thought it had accidentally been locked. A guy ran up to the door and pushed it open. I handed him the box and asked him to bring me a receipt, as I had cancelled my service. He said come on in and I said I couldn't due to the sign and he said "um.. ok, I'll get your receipt."

I figured I would never be back there so what the heck.

The Dude

Post by The Dude »

flechero wrote:When I turned in my TW set top box I stood at the door knocking.... they thought it had accidentally been locked. A guy ran up to the door and pushed it open. I handed him the box and asked him to bring me a receipt, as I had cancelled my service. He said come on in and I said I couldn't due to the sign and he said "um.. ok, I'll get your receipt."

I figured I would never be back there so what the heck.
"rlol"
ABIDE

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

we don't pay for TV we don't want. We have a Roku, we pay for Netflix and Acorn and that's it, we stream everything, we got back over $1000 a year when we dropped directTV.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

SewTexas wrote:we don't pay for TV we don't want. We have a Roku, we pay for Netflix and Acorn and that's it, we stream everything, we got back over $1000 a year when we dropped directTV.

I'm thinking of doing similarly. Curious about why Acorn. Isn't that British tv shows?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”