CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 10

What to practice to improve score

Post by newTexan »

Hey guys,

I am scheduled for my renewal course in about a month.

When I originally took the test, I passed easily, but I didn't get a perfect score. For the renewal, I decided to set that as my own personal goal. I'm not the world's greatest shot, and never will be, but I figure the 8-ring is big enough that I should be able to keep everything in there. Unfortunately, due to travel for work, I haven't had much range time in the last 6 months. Pitifully little, but where I was in the world there were no opportunities. So, I'm looking for some advice. With a month to train and a goal of 250/250, what would y'all suggest I work on? How would you prepare?

Thanks in Advance

mnewlander
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What to practice to improve score

Post by mnewlander »

you might want to check the new requirements for renewal. i don't think you have to shoot at all anymore. for that matter i don't think you need to even go to a class, you can do it all on line simply by filling out a form, pay and also i think the state will send you some kind of pamphlet that you have to read and sign the back and mail back.

JJVP
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JJVP »

newTexan wrote:Hey guys,

I am scheduled for my renewal course in about a month.

When I originally took the test, I passed easily, but I didn't get a perfect score. For the renewal, I decided to set that as my own personal goal. I'm not the world's greatest shot, and never will be, but I figure the 8-ring is big enough that I should be able to keep everything in there. Unfortunately, due to travel for work, I haven't had much range time in the last 6 months. Pitifully little, but where I was in the world there were no opportunities. So, I'm looking for some advice. With a month to train and a goal of 250/250, what would y'all suggest I work on? How would you prepare?

Thanks in Advance
When does your CHL expires? If it is after Sept 1st, you are no longer required to take the renewal class.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Topic author
newTexan

Post by newTexan »

It expires in November, but when I did the online thing they said that I needed to mail in the training form from the instructor...

I'm out of the loop here, please enlighten me.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Get a longer gun... It makes it much easier.

Panda

Post by Panda »

If you can't shoot, dry fire helps keep a perishable skill fresh.

Reserve161

Post by Reserve161 »

+1 on the dry-fire. I've heard to balance a coin across the front sight
and practice without dislodging that coin. I've never tried that, so it
may or may not work.

I also like an airsoft gun for easy practice indoors - cheap, safe and
good "dry-fire" with a feedback on the actual results.
I like a co2 model, and I use a "sticky" target that captures the
bbs on its face. All purchased at my local Academy for not much
more than a box of .45.

Sight picture, trigger control, breathing control.

Hope this helps some!
Bryan
PRIDE HONOR INTEGRITY

JJVP
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JJVP »

newTexan wrote:It expires in November, but when I did the online thing they said that I needed to mail in the training form from the instructor...

A new law was passed on this years legislature and was signed by the governor. It gets rid of the need for a renewal class. The law does not become effective until September 1st.

See thread that covers the new law here. viewtopic.php?f=125&t=66361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Topic author
newTexan

Post by newTexan »

JJVP wrote:
newTexan wrote:It expires in November, but when I did the online thing they said that I needed to mail in the training form from the instructor...

A new law was passed on this years legislature and was signed by the governor. It gets rid of the need for a renewal class. The law does not become effective until September 1st.

See thread that covers the new law here. viewtopic.php?f=125&t=66361" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow. So, having started the current process on-line and been notified that I need to send them a course completion sheet to complete it, should I finish out this renewal the "old" way, or what can/should I do?

Barbi Q

Post by Barbi Q »

Good question. If you already paid, DPS may decide that's when you submitted your renewal application.
SECTION 7. The change in law made by this Act applies to an
application for the renewal of a license to carry a concealed
handgun that is submitted to the Department of Public Safety on or
after the effective date of this Act, regardless of whether the
license was originally issued before, on, or after the effective
date of this Act.
If anyone is raped, beaten or murdered on a college campus from this day forward
The senators who blocked SB 354 from being considered on 4/7/11 and
The members of the house calendar committee who haven't scheduled HB 750
Have the victims' blood on their hands.

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

You want to improve your shooting bit don't have time for the range? Get yourself an airsoft with co2, and bb target backstop combo. Or, some lazer snap caps (of appropriate caliber) and a target w/stand, and practice.

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

Used correctly, airsoft can be an effective training tool. Just be careful if you live in some city overrun by Yankees that prohibits shooting airguns on your own property.

I have enough land that I can shoot firearms, but with the artificial ammunition shortages this past year, I do more airsoft practice than anything else. Paper plates are a good size and cheap. Biodegradable BBs eliminate cleanup. I'll probably keep doing most of my training with airsoft even if ammunition availability and prices return to 2011 levels.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Topic author
newTexan

Post by newTexan »

Reserve161 wrote:+1 on the dry-fire. I've heard to balance a coin across the front sight
may or may not work.
Bryan

I've been trying the dryfire with a quarter on the front sight. It stays nicely put through the draw until the "click" when the shot breaks. At that point it's an even guess if it'll stay on the site or not. I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing or if the striker hitting the snap-cap is enough vibration to knock the quarter off the g19 front sight.... Should the quarter survive the "click" every time?

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

newTexan wrote:
Reserve161 wrote:+1 on the dry-fire. I've heard to balance a coin across the front sight
may or may not work.
Bryan

I've been trying the dryfire with a quarter on the front sight. It stays nicely put through the draw until the "click" when the shot breaks. At that point it's an even guess if it'll stay on the site or not. I'm wondering if it's something I'm doing or if the striker hitting the snap-cap is enough vibration to knock the quarter off the g19 front sight.... Should the quarter survive the "click" every time?
I can't speak to a quarter.

But I'll balance an empty pistol cartridge case on the front sight of my 1911, and it will stay put every time.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

newTexan wrote:
may or may not work.
Bryan

It seems to depend on the firearm (and probably the size/shape of the front site). I can balance a nickel on my XD's front site and it stays put thru the snap of the striker pretty much every time. I tried the same this week on the front site of my Glock-17, and the stronger hit from the striker would knock the nickel off almost every time.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”