Picking Up Student At Curbside

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
kde71450
Posts in topic: 2

Picking Up Student At Curbside

Post by kde71450 »

I sometimes drop off my grand daughter at her Junior High School. I am a TX CHL holder. I am not entering the bldg but in a drop off area in parking lot. Am I allowed to carry my firearm with me there?

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Picking Up Student At Curbside

Post by tomtexan »

Yes.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
kde71450

Post by kde71450 »

Appreciate the quick answer. I downloaded the TX CHL Carry Laws (PDF) The topic Came up on another forum. The party was picking up his daughter from sporting event , he was stopped by DPS for inspection Sticker. He showed his TX CHL the officer admonished him for having it with him, but didn't write a ticket or arrest him (For the firearm). I guess even DPS Officers might not know the laws very well.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Since you downloaded the CHL-16.pdf, review how school "premises" is defined as the buildings (not the grounds).
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Jumping Frog wrote:Since you downloaded the CHL-16.pdf, review how school "premises" is defined as the buildings (not the grounds).
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jmra

Post by jmra »

Hard to believe these topics aren't better covered in initial CHL classes. I wonder if they were but just got lost in the 10 hour long class full of videos and pitches for insurance sellers. Perhaps now that the classes are shorter people will retain the more important details.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

jmra wrote:Hard to believe these topics aren't better covered in initial CHL classes. I wonder if they were but just got lost in the 10 hour long class full of videos and pitches for insurance sellers. Perhaps now that the classes are shorter people will retain the more important details.
I don't know where the OP took his class, but instructors can't teach what they don't know. Just saying.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

jmra

Post by jmra »

tbrown wrote:
jmra wrote:Hard to believe these topics aren't better covered in initial CHL classes. I wonder if they were but just got lost in the 10 hour long class full of videos and pitches for insurance sellers. Perhaps now that the classes are shorter people will retain the more important details.
I don't know where the OP took his class, but instructors can't teach what they don't know. Just saying.
That's down right scary. Next thing you know instructors will be telling people they can't carry at a church or amusement park. "rlol"
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:Since you downloaded the CHL-16.pdf, review how school "premises" is defined as the buildings (not the grounds).
Sorry.. was on my phone earlier.. too hard to copy/paste..
Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

(c) In this section:
(1) "Premises" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035.
Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

jmra wrote:
tbrown wrote:
That's down right scary. Next thing you know instructors will be telling people they can't carry at a church or amusement park. "rlol"
Or if they have a sip of wine. :evil2:
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

kde71450 wrote:Appreciate the quick answer. I downloaded the TX CHL Carry Laws (PDF) The topic Came up on another forum. The party was picking up his daughter from sporting event , he was stopped by DPS for inspection Sticker. He showed his TX CHL the officer admonished him for having it with him, but didn't write a ticket or arrest him (For the firearm). I guess even DPS Officers might not know the laws very well.
Could this be why the officer was disapproving? (grounds of a school sponsored activity) rather than a concern it would be carried into the premises (buildings)?
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

TexasGal wrote:
kde71450 wrote:Appreciate the quick answer. I downloaded the TX CHL Carry Laws (PDF) The topic Came up on another forum. The party was picking up his daughter from sporting event , he was stopped by DPS for inspection Sticker. He showed his TX CHL the officer admonished him for having it with him, but didn't write a ticket or arrest him (For the firearm). I guess even DPS Officers might not know the laws very well.
Could this be why the officer was disapproving? (grounds of a school sponsored activity) rather than a concern it would be carried into the premises (buildings)?
Should not matter if he did not go inside.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

txinstructor

Post by txinstructor »

RPBrown wrote:
TexasGal wrote:
Should not matter if he did not go inside.
46.03 shows three different situations or places, might make more sense to read it this way:
1. On the physical premises of a school or educational institution,
2. Any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted,
3. A passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution,

Premises applies only to the first situation - "premises of a school...". The second situation could be a sporting event - that would be "grounds" even when there is no building to go into. So the question is whether grounds includes the parking lot or not, and I haven't seen that addressed anywhere. Could be no ticket was written because the trooper knew the law well enough to know that there isn't a clear answer...

crice8

Post by crice8 »

Under this statue does that mean that I could legally carry around the grounds of University of Texas at Tyler as long as I do not enter a building? Just a question.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

crice8 wrote:Under this statue does that mean that I could legally carry around the grounds of University of Texas at Tyler as long as I do not enter a building? Just a question.
Assuming you are licensed to carry, yes.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”