CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
DaveT
Posts in topic: 7

Renewal time line information

Post by DaveT »

Just update information:

I did my online renewal on November 1st. Status ever since then on the DPS site has been 'awaiting receipt of materials'.

e-mailed through the DPS website on December 1st...... No reply.

Called 5 times today. 4 times I received a recorded message saying that the staff was busy and there was no one available to answer the phone.

on the 5th call, I was put on hold for 21 minutes, then a very nice lady named Rebecca answered. She checked my records and verified the online renewal date of November 1st. She said that since I did the senior citizen renewal, no additional paperwork needed to be submitted and that they had everything they needed.

She indicated that she was entering my information into the system for processing as we spoke, for me to allow another 45 days for processing.

If that time frame holds true, it means that renewals are taking about 2.5 months..... so it was wise for me to begin the process early !

Before we ended the call, Rebecca wished me and my family a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

She was a pleasure to visit with. For her to be so nice while understandably under a lot of pressure because their office is swamped with CHL applications and renewals, says a lot about this fine lady !!

By the way..... she had to put me on hold for a few minutes while she looked everything up, during that time a male voice on the recorded message started giving facts about DPS activity this year. One of the stats I heard was that they had processed 256,000 CHL applications so far this year. That in itself explains why they are so busy, but I am glad to see that so many Texans are arming themselves !

:hurry:

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Renewal time line information

Post by jmra »

Sounds like the change in class time is paying off big time in getting more people licensed. :thumbs2:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "Sounds like the change in class time is paying off big time in getting more people licensed. :thumbs2:"

Nupe, by my numbers anyway, the big rush of CHL students in 2013 was in January and February of this year and began to subside by March. Far greater numbers then than seen since Sept. 1.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gdanaher »

The DPS staff may be reaching the outer limits of their ability to process renewals and new applications without additional funding. New leased offices, more desks, more water coolers. I understand that 2% of Texans now are licensed. How about shooting for 6%? At some point, the retailers will need to take down those 30.06 signs to regain market share. ;-)

PBR

Post by PBR »

how much was your renewal? -- i went to renew online and went through everything then came up to page where to pay and enter cc info -- well it stated $70 for online application and then below that showed $72 for online.gov (dont remember name really) -- so i didn't enter anything and quit right there cause didn't have $142 -- is that how much it is now?
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by paperchunker »

PBR wrote:how much was your renewal? -- i went to renew online and went through everything then came up to page where to pay and enter cc info -- well it stated $70 for online application and then below that showed $72 for online.gov (dont remember name really) -- so i didn't enter anything and quit right there cause didn't have $142 -- is that how much it is now?
No
$70.00 + $2.00 Online processing fee
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

PBR

Post by PBR »

paperchunker wrote:
PBR wrote:how much was your renewal? -- i went to renew online and went through everything then came up to page where to pay and enter cc info -- well it stated $70 for online application and then below that showed $72 for online.gov (dont remember name really) -- so i didn't enter anything and quit right there cause didn't have $142 -- is that how much it is now?
No
$70.00 + $2.00 Online processing fee
Thanks I sort of thought that was probably the deal but without having the $142 funding in the bank I didn't want to try it and see. -- Was debating on doing it under indigent cause of being on disability but not sure if would slow process down or give me problems
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

jmra
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jmra »

Greybeard wrote:Quote: "Sounds like the change in class time is paying off big time in getting more people licensed. :thumbs2:"

Nupe, by my numbers anyway, the big rush of CHL students in 2013 was in January and February of this year and began to subside by March. Far greater numbers then than seen since Sept. 1.
Why don't you share those numbers with us. Turn around was much faster for my renewal earlier this year than what is being experienced currently. According to all indicators on this forum, DPS is busier than ever.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Not the time, motivation nor need to know to crunch 'em real accurately. ;-) FWIW, we were told at instructor renewal school last month that DPS is supposedly turning renewals around in an "average" of something like 17 or 18 days. So she said. I suspect that if DPS' monthly numbers were crunched accurately, original license applications would be inversely proportional to the amount of 9mm ammo on the shelves in the first quarter of 2013 to what we are seeing in the 4'th quarter.

Altho a couple of months old and somewhat off topic, this is the best summary I have seen yet on the related "panic" issues. http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminite ... shortages/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

DaveT wrote:Just update information:

I did my online renewal on November 1st. Status ever since then on the DPS site has been 'awaiting receipt of materials'.

Called 5 times today. 4 times I received a recorded message saying that the staff was busy and there was no one available to answer the phone.

on the 5th call, I was put on hold for 21 minutes, then a very nice lady named Rebecca answered. She checked my records and verified the online renewal date of November 1st. She said that since I did the senior citizen renewal, no additional paperwork needed to be submitted and that they had everything they needed.

She indicated that she was entering my information into the system for processing as we spoke, for me to allow another 45 days for processing.

If that time frame holds true, it means that renewals are taking about 2.5 months..... so it was wise for me to begin the process early !

Before we ended the call, Rebecca wished me and my family a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year.

She was a pleasure to visit with. For her to be so nice while understandably under a lot of pressure because their office is swamped with CHL applications and renewals, says a lot about this fine lady !!

By the way..... she had to put me on hold for a few minutes while she looked everything up, during that time a male voice on the recorded message started giving facts about DPS activity this year. One of the stats I heard was that they had processed 256,000 CHL applications so far this year. That in itself explains why they are so busy, but I am glad to see that so many Texans are arming themselves !

I had a similar case. I did my renewal on Oct. 28 and attached all of the documents (both sheets) at t that time. Had the same message when I checked 2 weeks ago and again today so I called. Same t thing, they had all of the required material but had not started processing. She entered it while we were talking so that they would start the processing.
Makes me wonder how long it would take if we had not called?
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Topic author
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

RPBrown wrote:
DaveT wrote:Just update information:

I had a similar case. I did my renewal on Oct. 28 and attached all of the documents (both sheets) at t that time. Had the same message when I checked 2 weeks ago and again today so I called. Same t thing, they had all of the required material but had not started processing. She entered it while we were talking so that they would start the processing.
Makes me wonder how long it would take if we had not called?
There's probably no way of knowing that. Even though she entered my information last week for processing and said processing would begin right away, the web site message still shows 'awaiting required materials'. I guess the staff is so busy with applications and renewals, updating the web site with current status information has been put on the back burner.

I was a little surprised when she said that even though they had all the material for over 30 days, that I still needed to allow another 45 days for processing. I guess it's just another indication of just how busy they are.

Others here are saying that they renewed earlier and had their renewal in 30 days, that's certainly not the case now.

Topic author
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

An update to what I posted above:

Just did another online status check and in less than a week since I talked to Rebecca on the phone (one month after sending in paperwork), my status has changed from waiting for required documents to:

License Status: Application packet has been received from the applicant, the application is in progress.
Application : Received
Fingerprints : Not required, fingerprints on file
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Not required for renewal
Photo : Not required for renewal
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

So, I guess that after their background review, my renewal will be printed and on the way.

Topic author
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Timeline update:

It has been a week today since I called and talked with Rebecca. Two days ago, my status changed on the site to what I posted above. Checking again this morning, it changed once again, now they are manufacturing the renewal license.

So, to everyone who has a renewal in for at least 30 days, it does pay to call and visit with the folks in Austin over the phone, that seems to get the process kick started.

Remember.... don't be upset when you call, that won't get you anywhere. Keep in mind that the office and staff are swamped and you always get more accomplished when you are nice !

Today's status:

Fingerprints : Complete
Background Check : Completed
Concealed Handgun License : Manufacturing Pending

Topic author
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Final update:

In just a week and three days since I talked to Rebecca on the phone (after waiting the required 30 days from submission to inquire), today's status update reflects that my renewal has been printed and mailed.

This is well below the 45 days that Rebecca said to allow for processing after she told me during the phone call that she was entering my information into the system for processing. :hurry:

Summary - wait the required 30 days after you mail or do online renewal,
then call the office to get your paperwork into the system !!!

Fingerprints : Complete
Background Check : Completed
Concealed Handgun License : Mailed

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I still have not gotten any word yet I expect they will be done by January first.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”