CHL used to when buying a gun...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
bones281
Posts in topic: 1

CHL used to when buying a gun...

Post by bones281 »

I have a question regarding the purchase of a firearms. I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL? at the time I didn't have it so I said no. Now here''s the question, would having a CHL allow me to skip the background check conducted by the store?

Keith B

Re: CHL used to when buying a gun...

Post by Keith B »

bones281 wrote:I have a question regarding the purchase a firearms. I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL? at the time I didn't have it so I said no. Now here''s the question, would having a CHL allow me to skip the background check conducted by the store?
Yes. You still have to fill out the 4473 form, but they do not have to call in and do a NICS check on you. All they do is put your CHL number on the form.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Keith B wrote:
bones281 wrote:I have a question regarding the purchase a firearms. I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL? at the time I didn't have it so I said no. Now here''s the question, would having a CHL allow me to skip the background check conducted by the store?
Yes. You still have to fill out the 4473 form, but they do not have to call in and do a NICS check on you. All they do is put your CHL number on the form.
Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
NRA Life Member

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

GeekwithaGun wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
I always ask the stores policy before purchasing. I have a very common name and share the same name and birth date with a convicted felon who lives in the NE. In the past this has resulted in delays that I refuse to tolerate. If the store wants to call it in after seeing my CHL I simply choose to shop elsewhere.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

My guess is the Bloomberg/Holder/Moms cosa nostra is actively trying to plug this.

jmra
Posts in topic: 6

Post by jmra »

Redneck_Buddha wrote:My guess is the Bloomberg/Holder/Moms cosa nostra is actively trying to plug this.
Nah, bigger fish to fry.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

poppo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by poppo »

GeekwithaGun wrote:Yes, but some stores will always run a BG Check - :grumble
I would tell them they would not be getting my business.
I've personally never ran into that situation though.
USMC Retired - DAV Life Member - VFW Life Member - NRA Life Member

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

poppo wrote:
I've bought a lot of guns and I've never run across anyone who wanted to call in after seeing my CHL.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 3

Post by suthdj »

EEllis wrote:
poppo wrote:
I've bought a lot of guns and I've never run across anyone who wanted to call in after seeing my CHL.
Shoot smart did it to me, the girl said my dl didn't match address on chl never asked about it just ran off closed door and called it in, when i pointed out after the fact her response was "oh". That irritated me off a bit. So I just wont buy a gun there again.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

suthdj wrote:
EEllis wrote:
poppo wrote:
Shoot smart did it to me, the girl said my dl didn't match address on chl never asked about it just ran off closed door and called it in, when i pointed out after the fact her response was "oh". That irritated me off a bit. So I just wont buy a gun there again.
Since they are supposed to match, I wonder if that's why she called it in.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

C-dub wrote:
suthdj wrote:
EEllis wrote:
poppo wrote:
They did match, so either she paid no attention, or lied.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

suthdj wrote:
C-dub wrote:
suthdj wrote:
EEllis wrote:
poppo wrote:
They did match, so either she paid no attention, or lied.
Sorry, you didn't clarify that they did match. You only said that she said they didn't.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TomsTXCHL

Post by TomsTXCHL »

bones281 wrote:I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL
The most likely reason they asked is if you have a CHL they don't have to run the NICS check, so it saves them time and effort.

There may be other reasons but I don't know what those might be. I only know that now that I have a CHL I will always volunteer it to the checker so they don't have to "run me". All they have to do then is keep the form in their file (for 20 years).

I too have a common name and used to give my SSN on the 4473--now of course I never will again.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

TomsTXCHL wrote:
bones281 wrote:I recently went to buy a new handgun and I has asked if I had a CHL
The most likely reason they asked is if you have a CHL they don't have to run the NICS check, so it saves them time and effort.

There may be other reasons but I don't know what those might be. I only know that now that I have a CHL I will always volunteer it to the checker so they don't have to "run me". All they have to do then is keep the form in their file (for 20 years).

I too have a common name and used to give my SSN on the 4473--now of course I never will again.
Some places run a background check regardless of CHL (I think Academy still has this policy, right?)

Your best bet is to find a dealer that not only accepts your CHL, but will give you a transfer discount if you're a CHL holder.

I wonder who does that? :mrgreen: ;-)
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

OldCannon wrote:
TomsTXCHL wrote:

Some places run a background check regardless of CHL (I think Academy still has this policy, right?)

Your best bet is to find a dealer that not only accepts your CHL, but will give you a transfer discount if you're a CHL holder.

I wonder who does that? :mrgreen: ;-)
Academy didn't make the call when I bought a gun last week.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”