Alamodome and DCI?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dreamer42
Posts in topic: 2

Alamodome and DCI?

Post by Dreamer42 »

I will be traveling to watch DCI (Drum Corps International) this weekend at the Alamodome in SA. I have done a search and I know it is city owned, but DCI is not a professional sporting event, per se, (they are semiprofessional bands, but don't receive any pay for their performances). Can I CHL carry? Are they wanding?

Dreamer42

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Alamodome and DCI?

Post by mojo84 »

Dreamer42 wrote:I will be traveling to watch DCI (Drum Corps International) this weekend at the Alamodome in SA. I have done a search and I know it is city owned, but DCI is not a professional sporting event, per se, (they are semiprofessional bands, but don't receive any pay for their performances). Can I CHL carry? Are they wanding?

Dreamer42

Most events I've gone to at the Alamodome they were wanding. My son had to return his pocket knife to the truck. I just assume I won't be able to carry if I am going to the Dome. Just not worth the argument.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

I would place DCI in the same category of "professional" sports as a monster truck event.

While it is technically an amateur competition, I dare you to say that to any of the corps there and see what kind of reaction you get :evil2:

I marched Velvet Knights '93
"TooCoolVK :coolgleamA:"
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Topic author
Dreamer42
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dreamer42 »

Went to Alamodome yesterday and don't recall seeing any 30-06 signage anywhere going into the building. No wanding. Only checking purses and bags. I had secured my 1911 in the vehicle (MV 500) in anticipation of not being able to enter. BTW, got me thinking again about how my 2A rights apply everywhere, except here, here...and, oh yeah, here. :bigmouth :banghead:

ralewis
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ralewis »

Dreamer42 wrote: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:59 am Went to Alamodome yesterday and don't recall seeing any 30-06 signage anywhere going into the building. No wanding. Only checking purses and bags. I had secured my 1911 in the vehicle (MV 500) in anticipation of not being able to enter. BTW, got me thinking again about how my 2A rights apply everywhere, except here, here...and, oh yeah, here. :bigmouth :banghead:
Last edited by ralewis on Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Dreamer42 wrote: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:59 am Went to Alamodome yesterday and don't recall seeing any 30-06 signage anywhere going into the building. No wanding. Only checking purses and bags. I had secured my 1911 in the vehicle (MV 500) in anticipation of not being able to enter. BTW, got me thinking again about how my 2A rights apply everywhere, except here, here...and, oh yeah, here. :bigmouth :banghead:
Just left the Alamodome after attending a Drum Corps international competetition. I saw a sign on the building that said something like ‘hanguns prohibited unless allowed by state law.

I don’t think there is anything about the event that would make it a prohibited place (it’s not a professional event with any sort of prizes - my son is a member of the corps and receives nothing of value other than the experience). I tried to find a San Antonio cop to ask for his view - realizing that the answer might have been opinion.

Metal detectors and 1990 style airport security, so I of course left the gun secured rather than deal with the hassle.

But it does not appear there is statutory prohibition. I am tired of having to be concerned with these sorts decision processes when it appears there should be no issue. I don’t believe I’d have been admitted if I was carrying.

Thoughts?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

ralewis wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:13 pm my son is a member of the corps and receives nothing of value other than the experience)
I would say not a proffesional sporting event. More like a concert or other show.

On a side note, what troop is your son with? We have friends that their son is in his 4th year and is lead snare for Santa Clara Vanguard. He has been the top snare drummer in DCI for the past 2 years in their solo competition. He loves DCI!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Keith B wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:06 am
ralewis wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:13 pm my son is a member of the corps and receives nothing of value other than the experience)
I would say not a proffesional sporting event. More like a concert or other show.

On a side note, what troop is your son with? We have friends that their son is in his 4th year and is lead snare for Santa Clara Vanguard. He has been the top snare drummer in DCI for the past 2 years in their solo competition. He loves DCI!
Troopers- based in Casper Wyoming. First year Snare and he loves it. He’d love to play with Santa Clara next year - as I’m sure many would. Their show last night was unbelievable. Head and shoulders above everyone else there. They are a crowd favorite and why my son was interested in drum corps.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

ralewis wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:18 am
Troopers- based in Casper Wyoming. First year Snare and he loves it. He’d love to play with Santa Clara next year - as I’m sure many would. Their show last night was unbelievable. Head and shoulders above everyone else there. They are a crowd favorite and why my son was interested in drum corps.
Our young friend was with the Troopers his first year as well. Good starting point. Tell him to work hard and he will have a good shot at SCV!!
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Keith B wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:42 am
ralewis wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:18 am
Our young friend was with the Troopers his first year as well. Good starting point. Tell him to work hard and he will have a good shot at SCV!!
Annual comment on this...

Keith, my son did make it to SCV and is having a blast...

We went to the DCI Regional this past Saturday and stayed on the Riverwalk. I did not attempt to carry to the DCI show as they have metal detectors/wands. I did stop to ask a few San Antonio cops just inside the stadium inside if this event was a prohibited place. They were very friendly of course when I asked, and acknowledged that it's not a school event or sporting event so not prohibited by statute. But one of them pulled out the event announcement and said the organizers set it to be a 'weapons free' event so I couldn't carry. I mentioned that it's a City building and my understanding of state law was I was not prohibited from carrying. However, given the metal detectors it was not practical, and i didn't really want to debate it with the folks working security at the entrances so I decided not to attempt to carry. They never did answer my question about what would happen if I did, and if I'd be admitted - but concurred that it'd probably have been at least a pain to have to walk 3/4 mile back to my car.

One of the cops smiled though and said 'hey why don't you carry a rifle. you can apparently take those anywhere.' I laughed and said "nah, not my style to make that point and put it on Youtube." I thanked them for their time and went into the show. Great event by the way.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Congrats to your son. My friend is in his 5th year and performing again with Santa Clara Vanguard. They were 1st place last year overall, and have been top percussion for a few years running. Glad he is enjoying it. It is a very physically tiring adventure, but from what I have seen and heard extremely rewarding!
Keith

narcissist

Post by narcissist »

Watch out while in Bexar county, they don't follow the laws to good there!
One of my biggest mistakes in life...Is Believing people will show me the same love I've shown them. :reddevil

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”