Texas lawmaker files 'Pop Tart gun' bill

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

gthaustex
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas lawmaker files 'Pop Tart gun' bill

Post by gthaustex »

Full circle indeed. Sigh.... :banghead:

That said, it probably is needed since common sense isn't common anymore.

cw3van

Post by cw3van »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Dave2 wrote:What's the penalty for attempting to punish a kid for chewing their food into a gun-like shape? I've become increasingly convinced that we won't actually solve the problem until we stop employing the problem people.
:iagree: Anyone who would discipline a kid for "offenses" coming within the scope of the Bill should be fired and lose their teaching credentials. I'd like a little jail time thrown in too, but some would say I'm going overboard. :thumbs2:

Chas.
:iagree: :iagree: 100% sir.
cw3van
Retired LEO
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member,

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

We can thank overly vague "zero tolerance" policies and school administrators that refuse to use common sense for the need for such things as the "pop tart" bill. In our high school about 2 years ago, a student was arrested on a felony firearms charge. He was expelled and held without bail for several months in jail. Oh by the way, his weapon was a Sharpie. He drew a picture of a gun on the bathroom wall. The grand jury no billed him and he was released from jail. In the meantime, he spent several months in a place where he did not belong.

Since he was a senior, he did not get to graduate from high school. I think I heard he had to go get a GED.

He should have used something less lethal like a "dry erase" marker. Nevertheless, the school should have made him repaint the wall that he defaced and that would have taught him a lesson.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

OneGun wrote:We can thank overly vague "zero tolerance" policies and school administrators that refuse to use common sense for the need for such things as the "pop tart" bill. In our high school about 2 years ago, a student was arrested on a felony firearms charge. He was expelled and held without bail for several months in jail. Oh by the way, his weapon was a Sharpie. He drew a picture of a gun on the bathroom wall. The grand jury no billed him and he was released from jail. In the meantime, he spent several months in a place where he did not belong.

Since he was a senior, he did not get to graduate from high school. I think I heard he had to go get a GED.

He should have used something less lethal like a "dry erase" marker. Nevertheless, the school should have made him repaint the wall that he defaced and that would have taught him a lesson.
:shock: You have got to be kidding me...
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

FigNewton

Post by FigNewton »

Dave2 wrote: :shock: You have got to be kidding me...
Wait till you have a kid that needs medicine at school. It's just as ridiculous.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

OneGun wrote:We can thank overly vague "zero tolerance" policies and school administrators that refuse to use common sense for the need for such things as the "pop tart" bill. In our high school about 2 years ago, a student was arrested on a felony firearms charge. He was expelled and held without bail for several months in jail. Oh by the way, his weapon was a Sharpie. He drew a picture of a gun on the bathroom wall. The grand jury no billed him and he was released from jail. In the meantime, he spent several months in a place where he did not belong.

At the MOST it shouldn't have been more than a vandalism charge. How it could be a felony firearms charge when there was no firearm involved blows my mind. Sheer insanity.

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

FigNewton wrote:
Dave2 wrote: :shock: You have got to be kidding me...
Wait till you have a kid that needs medicine at school. It's just as ridiculous.
A friend of mine in school once passed out in the bathroom because she didn't have her asthma inhaler. We were in high school, and it was all the way across the building locked up in the nurse's office. I had to crawl under the stall door to unlock it so I could get her out of the bathroom and get her help. Seems to me by the time you're in high school and your asthma is well documented and proven to be severe enough that you're exempt from all PE requirements, you have an elevator key in case a bad attack leaves you too weak for the stairs, and you're likely to pass out if you don't get your inhaler promptly when needed, maybe you should be allowed to keep the thing in your backpack instead of locked up in an office across campus. Maybe she should have chewed a pop tart into the shape of an inhaler -- after all, if pop-tart guns are dangerous, maybe pop-tart inhalers are effective too?

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Some school administrators are nutty.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

I'm mean and unreasonable and intolerant. If that happened to one of my two daughters I'd be so into the district attorney's face to file attempted murder charges on more than one idiot at that school. I'd be a nightmare to the school board to have them fired as well. Then again, they'd probably only get one day of locking it up out of her reach before they knew that was a totally unwise decision.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

The HS I work at allows students to carry inhalers and Eppi-pens with a Dr' s order on file. But as teachers we are banned from giving any meds except the Eppi- pen.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

LDB415 wrote:I'm mean and unreasonable and intolerant. If that happened to one of my two daughters I'd be so into the district attorney's face to file attempted murder charges on more than one idiot at that school. I'd be a nightmare to the school board to have them fired as well. Then again, they'd probably only get one day of locking it up out of her reach before they knew that was a totally unwise decision.

The problem is that school administrators may not have had a choice under current policy. And the DA didn't make that policy.

IF the DA chose to prosecute, I'd be with you, but the expulsion is often punishment enough.

These rules that are created such as mandatory minimums and zero-tolerance sure sound good at the time, but the implementation is lacking.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”