Getting Permit- I have questions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tomneal
Posts in topic: 2

shooting test

Post by tomneal »

Oh, and the shooting portion is easy. If I can pass it, anyone can. The course of fire seems as if it was designed so that it was easy to pass. Personally I would like to see it a bit more challenging. Just my .02.
When the law was orginialy written, there was some concern that the DPS would make the shooting test TOO difficult.

The decision was to REQUIRE that the test be no harder than the shooting test that DPS officers have to pass.

I would not describe the test as a shooting test. It's more of a Operating a Firearm test.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

tehlump
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tehlump »

tomneal-The range portion of the CHL test is the same test that DPS officers have to pass? That's what they use for qualitfication?

tomneal
Posts in topic: 2

Don't know

Post by tomneal »

I don't know if the CHL test is what DPS officers use to qualify.

I do know when the test was first discussed, some thought that DPS would develop a test that was "impossible" to pass.

SO...
The law stated that the shooting test could be no more difficult than the qualification test for DPS.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Greybeard »

Yep, I think the 2-year thing is correct for "original" students but is 6 months for renewals. And, yea, the 1-dayers can be semi-tough on both the students and the instructor, but, like El Gato sez, that seems to be the way most folks want to do it. Got one to do that way tomorrow in fact, then again on Sunday Sept. 18.

I typically start the classroom portion at 8:30 and give "original" students an hour for lunch, during which I deal with "renewal only" students (who leave early to mid-afternoon). DCSA usually has pizza delivered so we can carry on through the evening and finish up the classroom portion around 7:30. Indoor shooting portion is less than 40' away from classroom and done promptly (2 at a time) for those who are ready to step up to the line and put their 50 rounds onto The Blue Amazon Man with no warm-up.

Those who want/need a little coaching and/or practice first can schedule a time for $40 to come back for completion on another day. Pure newbies are handled in a similar manner, but with more classroom and trigger time. more details at http://www.dentoncountysports.com

IIRC, Troopers may have to shoot a 90% (same as instructors). While CHLers only 70%.

In my not-so-humble opinion, I think the Legislature set it up so that 1/2 blind little 80-year old ladies could pass. If someone can't - especially after 3 chances - they don't need to get out of their house with one!
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Paladin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Paladin »

txinvestigator wrote:
Paladin wrote:DFW gun range is a nice range, but I have to say I'm curious about what's up with that whole "Ali G" thing?
???? :?:
Borat? From Kazakhstan?
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 7

Post by txinvestigator »

Paladin wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
Paladin wrote:DFW gun range is a nice range, but I have to say I'm curious about what's up with that whole "Ali G" thing?
Borat? From Kazakhstan?
I know the show and the dude. LOL He actually did a segment with my cousin who is a martial arts instructor.

I just don't get the reference. Maybe I am dense today. :shock:

txinvestigator

Re: Don't know

Post by txinvestigator »

tomneal wrote:I don't know if the CHL test is what DPS officers use to qualify.

I do know when the test was first discussed, some thought that DPS would develop a test that was "impossible" to pass.

SO...
The law stated that the shooting test could be no more difficult than the qualification test for DPS.
LOL NO, troopers do a MUCH different course of fire.

In the Instructor School, they told us that when some of the authors or the original CHL bill went to DPS to see the course of fire, the legislators reqired DPS to make it easier, and the result is what you have today.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

txinvestigator wrote:
Paladin wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
Borat? From Kazakhstan?
I know the show and the dude. LOL He actually did a segment with my cousin who is a martial arts instructor.

The characters in the show are pretty wild, and done pretty convincingly.

How long have you been at DFW gun range?
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Paladin wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
Paladin wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:
Borat? From Kazakhstan?

The characters in the show are pretty wild, and done pretty convincingly.

How long have you been at DFW gun range?
I have the clip of Ali G and my cousin, but I don't have a place to host it or I would put it up here. Its funny.

I have been teaching the Guard classes since '03 at DFW, when the new owner took over from Goldberg. I also have been doing private lessons, and some CHL classes.

Recently I have been doing at least 2 CHL classes a month, and I was made Training Director last week.

We do a lot of training, including an OC/Baton/Handcuff class for guards, Hunters Education, PPO (armed bodyguard) CHL's, Level 3 Guards, and we offer advanced pistol classes. Come fall, I have a guy who will offer a Carbine class thru us.

I welcome any suggestions of comments you may have.

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Back around '02-'03, "Borat" visited DFW gun range. Did an interview with Goldberg.

They talked and shot the MP-5K.

The video clip had some entertaining parts, but came out overall as anti-gun. Was on cable TV here, and on TV in the UK.

Just curious about what happened.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Paladin wrote:Back around '02-'03, "Borat" visited DFW gun range. Did an interview with Goldberg.

They talked and shot the MP-5K.

The video clip had some entertaining parts, but came out overall as anti-gun. Was on cable TV here, and on TV in the UK.

Just curious about what happened.
Oohhhhhhh. No one has mentioned that. LOL I wonder why? Yeah, Goldberg sold the range, and I was not involved until after he was gone.

That is funny. I'll have to see if I can find that clip.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”