error on application

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
sharkyhar68
Posts in topic: 7

error on application

Post by sharkyhar68 »

I'm nervous. When I did my Texas CHL appl. online I checked box NO for previous arrests. But they found an arrest I had 50 yrs ago in 1965 which was a felony and I was denied the CHL. Thats fine. I will accept the denial. My question is, will I be prosecuted for making the error of not listing that arrest? Or can i just forget about it all?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: error on application

Post by carlson1 »

Welcome to the Forum. Even though you were denied I hope you will hang around.

No need to worry about the omission on your application. You are safe.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

sharkyhar68 wrote:I'm nervous. When I did my Texas CHL appl. online I checked box NO for previous arrests. But they found an arrest I had 50 yrs ago in 1965 which was a felony and I was denied the CHL. Thats fine. I will accept the denial. My question is, will I be prosecuted for making the error of not listing that arrest? Or can i just forget about it all?
Welcome to the forum sharkyhar68. I would be more concerned about being a felon in possession of a handgun than the error on your application.
NRA Endowment Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

WildBill wrote:
sharkyhar68 wrote:I'm nervous. When I did my Texas CHL appl. online I checked box NO for previous arrests. But they found an arrest I had 50 yrs ago in 1965 which was a felony and I was denied the CHL. Thats fine. I will accept the denial. My question is, will I be prosecuted for making the error of not listing that arrest? Or can i just forget about it all?
Welcome to the forum sharkyhar68. I would be more concerned about being a felon in possession of a handgun than the error on your application.

Maybe one of the legal guys can chime in, but I believe he able to possess a firearm on his property if has been five years after confinement of parole.
Federal law is more restrictive and controls over state law. For instance, Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.04 allows a person with a felony conviction after the fifth anniversary of the person’s release from confinement or the person’s release from community supervision (probation) to possess a firearm on the premises where he or she lives. Federal law does not contain a similar time limit so it is a violation of federal law for that same person to possess a firearm, even in their home.

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jumping Frog »

sharkyhar68 wrote: But they found an arrest I had 50 yrs ago in 1965 which was a felony and I was denied the CHL.
Did you mean to say they found a conviction? Or was it just an arrest?
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Jumping Frog wrote:
sharkyhar68 wrote: But they found an arrest I had 50 yrs ago in 1965 which was a felony and I was denied the CHL.
Sorry, I missed that. :oops: I just assumed that it was a conviction.
NRA Endowment Member

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

I know this is a newb question. But if arrested but not convicted how can they deny a permit?

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

lildave40 wrote:I know this is a newb question. But if arrested but not convicted how can they deny a permit?
You can't make any material misrepresentation on your application. So if the arrest was not disclosed, yet did not result in a conviction, the license may be denied because that's what you agreed to when you submitted your application.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
sharkyhar68

Post by sharkyhar68 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
Yes, it was a conviction. 50 yrs ago. Non-violent. You would think a person could get a break for not having another arrest or conviction since then & lived a good life. But the laws the law.

Topic author
sharkyhar68

Post by sharkyhar68 »

mr1337 wrote:
lildave40 wrote:I know this is a newb question. But if arrested but not convicted how can they deny a permit?
You can't make any material misrepresentation on your application. So if the arrest was not disclosed, yet did not result in a conviction, the license may be denied because that's what you agreed to when you submitted your application.

I should have said conviction.

Topic author
sharkyhar68

Post by sharkyhar68 »

WildBill wrote:
I only have guns in my home. Don't carry off the property.

Topic author
sharkyhar68

Post by sharkyhar68 »

WildBill wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
Sorry, I missed that. :oops: I just assumed that it was a conviction.
Yes, it was a conviction.

Topic author
sharkyhar68

Post by sharkyhar68 »

carlson1 wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Maybe one of the legal guys can chime in, but I believe he able to possess a firearm on his property if has been five years after confinement of parole.
Federal law is more restrictive and controls over state law. For instance, Texas Penal Code Sec. 46.04 allows a person with a felony conviction after the fifth anniversary of the person’s release from confinement or the person’s release from community supervision (probation) to possess a firearm on the premises where he or she lives. Federal law does not contain a similar time limit so it is a violation of federal law for that same person to possess a firearm, even in their home.
Then which law should I be concerned with? This is confusing. Texas says I can have gun at home & Feds say no? I did probation that ended in 1967. So according to Texas law I can have guns in my home. I will find out I guess if a Perp. breaks in cause they shall be shot.

Topic author
sharkyhar68

Post by sharkyhar68 »

carlson1 wrote:Welcome to the Forum. Even though you were denied I hope you will hang around.

No need to worry about the omission on your application. You are safe.

Thanks for the welcome & the help.

foobar22

Post by foobar22 »

mr1337 wrote: Mon May 18, 2015 4:45 pm
The statute says that an applicant who meets the eligibility criteria and who "has not made any MATERIAL misrepresentation, or failed to disclose any MATERIAL fact" shall be issued a license. Since, by definition, only facts crucial to determining whether an applicant is eligible are material and hence subject to such misrepresentation, omission of non-disqualifying arrests does not violate the statute. Therefore, you technically need not disclose dropped charges. I omitted two bogus arrests (albeit one as a juvenile and both over 10 years ago) with no issues. But why push it?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”