Campus Carry Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 1

Campus Carry Question

Post by BCGlocker »

Can someone tell me if the new campus carry law applicable only to colleges? Does it apply to lower education institution such as HS or elementary school?
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

The Wall

Re: Campus Carry Question

Post by The Wall »

College only. Universities not Junior colleges I believe.
Last edited by The Wall on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

And not yet on junior colleges.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 2

Post by nightmare69 »

Did I read it right where it said the law goes into effect on August 1st 2017?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

nightmare69 wrote:Did I read it right where it said the law goes into effect on August 1st 2017?
That's for junior colleges. It's effective August 1, 2016 for colleges and universities.

Chas.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Did I read it right where it said the law goes into effect on August 1st 2017?
That's for junior colleges. It's effective August 1, 2016 for colleges and universities.

Chas.

Thanks for clearing that up. We got a copy today at my PD and I just skimmed through it quick before my shift.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

That clears up something for me, too. So the campus carry passed for both colleges (public and private?) and junior/community colleges, but with different effective dates? August 1, 2016 for 4 year colleges and August 1, 2017 for junior colleges?
And BTW, I am assuming that junior colleges include community colleges? Don't really see too many colleges any more that call themselves "junior" college.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

RossA wrote:That clears up something for me, too. So the campus carry passed for both colleges (public and private?) and junior/community colleges, but with different effective dates? August 1, 2016 for 4 year colleges and August 1, 2017 for junior colleges?
And BTW, I am assuming that junior colleges include community colleges? Don't really see too many colleges any more that call themselves "junior" college.
Yes.

Note that private colleges can opt out. Public colleges can exempt certain areas based on consultation between students, staff and faculty. Those decisions can be overridden by a two thirds vote of the Regents.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

barres

Post by barres »

Great! Another year before I can carry at work! All because I work for a Junior/Community College. I completely missed that when I was reading the bill/law. :mad5
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

casp625

Post by casp625 »

barres wrote:Great! Another year before I can carry at work! All because I work for a Junior/Community College. I completely missed that when I was reading the bill/law. :mad5
I don't remember the legislature ever discussing the delayed implementation date initially. I think they threw in the 2017 community college effective date with an amendment but never mentioned it openly in debate.

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

I got this in an email newsletter this morning. It doesn't give me much hope for the future when they don't understand the laws that are in place now.
Legislative update

This session, the Texas Legislature passed an open carry bill, SB11, which will eventually allow guns on campus. The law will be in effect for CTC and other community colleges starting in 2017. Until then, CTC policy, which prohibits the carrying of guns or weapons on college premises, will remain the same. No one, while on premises controlled or owned by the Central Texas College District, shall store or carry a weapon. A weapon is defined as a manufactured device designed to injure or kill another being, or a device designed to look like a weapon. A student who possesses an item or material in violation of this policy will be subject to the laws of the State of Texas and discipline under the CTCD Student Code of Conduct.
An employee who possesses an item or material in violation of this policy will be subject to the laws of the State of Texas and disciplinary action as detailed in the Central Texas College Human Resource Management Safety Policies and Procedures Manual.
CTC administration is currently working on an implementation plan for SB11 and employees and students will be advised when it is final. Until 2017, we must abide by the current Texas law which prohibits guns on campus.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Nothing on campus changes until the laws go into effect in 2016 (4 yr schools) or 2017 (junior/community colleges). I read where the community/junior colleges had an extra year to implement procedures because they have a lot of high school kids on campus.

Don't feel too bad. My private university intends to opt out entirely.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Owens

Post by Owens »

I strongly suspect that the TCCTA (Texas Community College Teachers Assoc.) had the Junior colleges thrown under the bus so to speak on this. As a whole, they are notoriously anti-gun. The 'issue' of HS students on campus is due to dual credit courses. Courses that the student elects to take, not course(s) they are required to take on a CC campus. No different in my view than a HS student who chooses to go to any other place where firearms are present in a concealed fashion.

I have read through the CC bill some and must admit the language in it is a bit confusing or seems to be. At present, carry UP TO the point of entry into a building is possible, as the grounds are not considered as 'premises'. The new campus carry seems to change that. Very possible I misread and or misinterpreted though as I don't speak legalease.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

I agree about the dual-credit students - students take trips to malls, museums, parades, movies, parks . . . all places where guns are carried. If you don't want you child in an adult-school environment, don't send them to a school for adults.
I am definitely glad we got the law we did instead of none at all. I also agree that there is room to clean it up in future sessions.

Owens

Post by Owens »

Boxerrider,

True that. Lots of room for cleanup. A thought crossed my mind on this: With it delayed implementation on junior colleges till 2017, it may get cleaned up before it even takes effect...well almost anyway. A lot of the legislative output takes effect on 9/1. Most semesters start a week or 2 from that in late August.
Life Member NRA, TSRA

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”