State Fair Music Hall

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
John Galt
Posts in topic: 3

State Fair Music Hall

Post by John Galt »

Does anyone know of a problem with CC there?

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: State Fair Music Hall

Post by AF-Odin »

Went there about a week ago with daughter and S-I-L. Before going I checked their web site and under FAQs they stated that CHL WAS PROHIBITED IAW 30.06. So I dutifully locked in case in car (though this is not the area of town I like being dis-armed in--luckily it was a matinee performance and lots of police presence to include a Police Explorer unit attending the performance). When I got to the door, NO 30.06 signs, only a sign saying bags subject to search. IIRC the State Fair Music Hall is City owned property. CC is legal the the actual State Fair and I have carried there a number of times-just tell the security guy with the wand you have a CHL and show it to him. Once he called a police officer over the check, once they called a "supervisor," and once just waived me through.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

You were fortunate. Our car and others in the vicinity were ransacked in the SFMH parking lot during an afternoon matinee, so in broad daylight. Police presence may have benefited you. The thugs knew no one would be coming back for quite some time.

Hopefully this helps other parking there. If I were to go back, I would make sure nothing of value was left in the car.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Bruin98
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bruin98 »

I was there Sat 6/27.

There are no 30.06 signs on the 6-8 doors on what I would call the main entrance side (facing MLK).

The glassed area kind of curves and there is a large gunbuster sign (red circle with /).

Based on what I saw, I plan on carrying when my chl comes.

They may search large bags, but that wouldnt catch me.

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

Carried tonight. No issues.

Topic author
John Galt

Post by John Galt »

An update:
We went about a week ago, and inside they were wanding people. I got their attention and had my license in hand, they then had me see another officer who asked me if I were Police or CHL. I said CHL and they had me sign a form that had a column for lic #, signature, and seat #, then let me enter. It was no problem, but just a change in policy.

ELB

Post by ELB »

John Galt wrote:An update:
...a form that had a column for lic #, signature, and seat #, then let me enter.
Is that legal?
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
John Galt

Post by John Galt »

ELB wrote:
John Galt wrote:An update:
...a form that had a column for lic #, signature, and seat #, then let me enter.
Is that legal?
I don't know.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

They were doing it a number of years ago at the State Fair and I think somebody sued to stop them from writing it down. But if they let me in, I probably wouldn't care.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

ScottDLS wrote:They were doing it a number of years ago at the State Fair and I think somebody sued to stop them from writing it down. But if they let me in, I probably wouldn't care.
I didn’t sue them, but I told the park security person and a DPD officer, who I had already shown my license, that no one would be documenting any of my personal information as I considered it a personal security risk for me and too close to a “ registration”. The officer agreed with me and told to have a nice day, while the security person was left fuming.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

C-dub wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:They were doing it a number of years ago at the State Fair and I think somebody sued to stop them from writing it down. But if they let me in, I probably wouldn't care.
I didn’t sue them, but I told the park security person and a DPD officer, who I had already shown my license, that no one would be documenting any of my personal information as I considered it a personal security risk for me and too close to a “ registration”. The officer agreed with me and told to have a nice day, while the security person was left fuming.
I believe I may remember you mentioning that. :tiphat:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”