Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by JALLEN »

ScooterSissy wrote:
Right2Carry wrote: My opinion is that if you choose to open your doors to the public, you give up some of your property rights. Nobody is making these businesses open their doors to the public. Again if you want invite the public in you must accept the consequences. Just my .02 right or wrong.
To what degree do you feel those that open a business are giving up their rights?

Do those coming in get to exercise their free speech? I'm not even talking about racial stuff, how about "I came in to announce to your customers that your service is awful, and DQ has better sammiches"
To the extent that these are rights, exercisable at all times and places, there is a certain diminution. Those signs reading, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" can no longer be regarded as absolutes. A business open to the public cannot refuse to serve persons on grounds of race, sex, sexual orientation, nationality, citizenship and other protected classifications. Equal protection and all that.

By the same token, nobody has the right of free speech, unfettered, at any time, at any place. The "fetters" are pretty loose, granted, but beyond which one does not have the right to go.

You have no right to be present in a business premises other than to conduct business with it. You can't take over a booth at McDonald's to use for your activities, not over the proprietor's objections anyway, or sit in my waiting room, when I had one, all day, charging your cell phone, logged into my, or your, Internet service and do as you please.

People often have an expanded view of their rights these days, not always compatible with law or reality.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 33

Post by mojo84 »

JALLEN wrote:
People often have an expanded view of their rights these days, not always compatible with law or reality.

It's the age of narcissistic entitlement. :mad5
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

mojo84 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:

as well as the abolishing of shame.

In my childhood, the worst thing often was, said in abject disgust, "You ought to be ashamed of yourself!" and often we were. You comported yourself in hope of avoiding being ashamed of yourself, usually, or strived to do so.

Shame is getting to be like dinosaurs. You hardly ever see it anymore.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 33

Post by mojo84 »

Dinosaurs may be more common.

Man, I am getting cynical and negative the older I get.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Armybrat
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Armybrat »

I seriously doubt that WB is going to notice the loss of business from a handful of OC folks.

I shall continue to CC when chowing down on my A1 Thick & Heart burger washed down with a chocolate shake.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

JALLEN wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:

In my childhood, the worst thing often was, said in abject disgust, "You ought to be ashamed of yourself!" and often we were. You comported yourself in hope of avoiding being ashamed of yourself, usually, or strived to do so.

Well said!

Chas.

Charlies.Contingency

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
JALLEN wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
JALLEN wrote:

Well said!

Chas.
Though it may be true, it is still a very sad fact. It's obvious with today's youth. Even the mainstream of my age group are so far gone, it's unnerving. Truthfulness, Honesty, Sincerity, Kindness, Courtesy, and respect are all fading out of sight these days. It's sad that when somebody buys something for me, and they give me the incorrect amount, and I notify them that they paid me too much, I too often hear this reply, "Not everyday you find somebody with this kind of honesty and integrity!"

That's one of the last things I want to hear. Though it is a compliment, it's the fact that our entire society has lost touch with these basic morals that pains me. I've come to accept the fact that there is a rapid decay in public morals. :???:
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

loktite
Posts in topic: 1

Post by loktite »

Charlies.Contingency wrote: Though it may be true, it is still a very sad fact. It's obvious with today's youth. Even the mainstream of my age group are so far gone, it's unnerving. Truthfulness, Honesty, Sincerity, Kindness, Courtesy, and respect are all fading out of sight these days. It's sad that when somebody buys something for me, and they give me the incorrect amount, and I notify them that they paid me too much, I too often hear this reply, "Not everyday you find somebody with this kind of honesty and integrity!"

That's one of the last things I want to hear. Though it is a compliment, it's the fact that our entire society has lost touch with these basic morals that pains me. I've come to accept the fact that there is a rapid decay in public morals. :???:
Similar to what I had happen at convenience store yesterday, found 2 $5 dollar bills laying on ground where a somewhat disheveled lady with large amount of bills in hand had been. Asked her if it was her money, she replied she didn't know, but that's where she had been standing. The other people and line were seemed surprised saying "don't see that every day", as was cashier. When I checked out, he said "That was a great thing you did there" I shook my head no and simply said it was the right thing.
NRA Endowment Member

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScooterSissy »

Taypo wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:
jmra wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote: Could be a good tactic.

I see no advantage to OC and dont plan to do so - but this could be a good opportunity to change minds about gun owners.

If it were me being told to leave I would be courteous & make it obvious that I was leaving - but would ask the employee if he happened to be the manager (probably would be). I would then introduce myself, shake hands & explain I was a long time customer and was disappointed that the company didnt want my business. I would wish him/her a good day & leave. (I wouldnt be surprised if I was offered a gift card or something, that I would politely decline)

After bouncing several courteous and well mannered customers I think there would be a reconsideration - especially after the furor dies down.
I don't believe someone who entered an establishment for the sole purpose of being kicked out of it understands the concept of courteous and well mannered.
I disagree. If the actor never eats at the place (in other words, isn't really a customer), then I would agree. However, if a person frequents WB, and wants to exercise their rights and freedom under the law, I see nothing at all wrong ignoring a sign that has no legal weight, then when asked to leave to inform them they are losing business.

But, I have to wonder - what if no one asks them to leave? Then, it would seem, the proper thing to do would be to order a double-meat double-cheese, and sit and eat.
What sign are ignoring that has no legal weight?

I'm pretty sure Whataburger knows they're losing business. They admitted as much in the press release. If someone wants to go into one and preach the gospel of CJ and Holcombe, I won't be the one to get in the way. I'll be the one enjoying my burger.
Wataburger hasn't indicated that they're going to post a 30.07. Maybe I erred in even mentioning a sign. All they've done is express a policy, but the principle still applies.

thetexan
Posts in topic: 10

Post by thetexan »

Policy is not lawfully prohibitive. Just like the old lady in the commercial says

"SHOW ME THE 30.07!!!"
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

VMI77
Posts in topic: 15

Post by VMI77 »

From an essay I read the other day:
Our culture for years has been kicking the struts out from under the entire structure and is collapsing in on its self for lack of any sort of skeleton. In the process, everything is beginning to look chaotic, random, and even insane.

However, its not that there isn't a new worldview or structure of ideals being promoted to replace the old. They haven't simply burned it all down and forgotten it. The left believes it has something that answers everything and fixes it all.

A godless, empty, future of as many orgasms and pleasures as possible in your short meaningless life in service to the state is their future. That's what they have planned. Enjoy yourself. Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may die. They know what they propose is devoid of purpose and hope, so they want to fill it with as many distractions and hedonism as possible so you can forget about it for a while.
http://www.wordaroundthe.net/2015/07/just-because.html
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

thetexan wrote:Policy is not lawfully prohibitive. Just like the old lady in the commercial says

"SHOW ME THE 30.07!!!"
Sigh. Here we go again.

They can show you the employee that tells you to leave, too. They've announced their policy, they've announced their intentions and they've notified you that your OC weapon is not welcome. At this point, its pretty clear what they want. Those of you who choose to push the issue are going to do more harm than good.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

Sigh...

30.07 refers to all three methods of notification.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

They can show me an employee. They can show me a policy. They can show me a sign.

Until they show me an employee who either is the owner or speaks with the APPARENT authority of the owner who verbally notifies me to leave, or shows me a written document with the identical 30.07 language written on it, or displays a properly posted compliant 30.07 sign I will have until then not been lawfully notified. And neither will anyone else.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

Double Post
Last edited by Taypo on Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”