Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by AF-Odin »

Perhaps in those other states with open carry they did not have folks parading around in establishments with long guns carried at the ready on a tactical sling. Someone wearing a pair of jeans with a polo shirt and a holstered Glock or 1911 is not necessarily intimidating, but I might be a little concerned walking into an establishment and seeing a number of folks wearing camo and boonie hats sporting ARs, etc...... :totap:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 33

Post by mojo84 »

Just because the states allow open carry doesn't mean Whataburger does within their locations. I suspect they just dealt with it quietly on a case by case basis. It's a shame people pushed for them to make a public statement that they will now feel obligated to enforce.

There's something to be said for one going about their business without making a big issue out of everything. Forcing someone or a company to take a public stance on something and then whining about it is childish.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:Just because the states allow open carry doesn't mean Whataburger does within their locations. I suspect they just dealt with it quietly on a case by case basis. It's a shame people pushed for them to make a public statement that they will now feel obligated to enforce.

There's something to be said for one going about their business without making a big issue out of everything. Forcing someone or a company to take a public stance on something and then whining about it is childish.
:iagree:
unforfunately those demanding a statement may have gotten exactly what they were hoping for - something to keep themselves in the spot light. I don't believe the likes of CJ really care if people get to OC in Whataburger or not.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

DUST FOOT
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DUST FOOT »

jmra, I was not stating their policy. I was asking how they handled Oklahoma. Is this their policy in all open carry states? Please read the whole post and not pick out two words to make a commit on like my wife does.

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Post by jmra »

DUST FOOT wrote:jmra, I was not stating their policy. I was asking how they handled Oklahoma. Is this their policy in all open carry states? Please read the whole post and not pick out two words to make a commit on like my wife does.
You're absolutely correct, I misread your post as Whataburger allowed OC at stores in other states instead of the states allowing OC. My mistake.
It is my understanding from what I've read that managers dealt with this issue on an individual basis (see memo earlier in this thread). No one in OK or other states pressured them to make a statement like CJ and OCT have done here in Texas. This answers the "Why now" question.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 3

Post by E.Marquez »

Taypo wrote:
LDB415 wrote:You have to wonder just a bit about people worrying over someone wearing Tucker leather. How many street scum wear a full Tucker rig or similar open carrying?
How many people that are scared of guns AND capable of recognizing Tucker's work do you think there are?
My takeaway for this entire thread is.
Who is Tucker leather?
And now that I looked, I need another holster... and that my friends is YOUR fault :smilelol5:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Post by oohrah »

new_rig_sm.JPG
Here's my Tucker, just waiting for OC.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 33

Post by mojo84 »

oohrah wrote:
new_rig_sm.JPG

Very nice. I would like to have the same setup with a star or Texas honcho. What is the width of that belt?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

mojo84 wrote:
oohrah wrote:
new_rig_sm.JPG

Very nice. I would like to have the same setup with a star or Texas honcho. What is the width of that belt?
His stuff is amazing, and I bet OC is gonna do wonders for his business. I'd get it in soon if you want it by January.

LDB415
Posts in topic: 7

Post by LDB415 »

Tucker is a veteran and an incredibly fine leather maker. Yeah, I know, technically the cows make the leather. Not everyone will agree but basically there's Tucker and there's anyone else. He does the Texas concho among other things. I'm sure some people wouldn't have a clue but I think someone wearing a fine custom leather rig would be considered off duty, plain clothes or something else as often as not by the majority of the clueless.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

The investment company I ran for more than 20 years owned real estate here in Texas leased to various fast food operators.

Whataburger was far and away the best of these. Dealing with them was invariably fair, reasonable, straight forward, cooperative and mutually beneficial, none of which I would say about the other big fast food chains we dealt with.

Texans value property owners rights and views as much as we value self defense and RKBA. That value combination expresses itself in our law. If a business decides to not permit open carry, I accept that. If they object to any carry, well I take my business elsewhere.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScooterSissy »

Jim Beaux wrote:I have a problem here.

Im not a fan of OC & dont plan to ever OC - but the reality is Whataburger is infringing on 2A rights - and some here are ok with it cuz it doesnt directly affect them....AT THIS TIME...

"Then they came for me"
If they tell you to not swear or tell racial jokes, they are also infringing on your rights. Not only that, they have rights as well, personal property rights. To me this one is simple, if they put up a 30.07 after January, and I happen to be carrying openly (not likely), I'll just pull my shirt over the gun.

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

Right2Carry wrote: My opinion is that if you choose to open your doors to the public, you give up some of your property rights. Nobody is making these businesses open their doors to the public. Again if you want invite the public in you must accept the consequences. Just my .02 right or wrong.
To what degree do you feel those that open a business are giving up their rights?

Do those coming in get to exercise their free speech? I'm not even talking about racial stuff, how about "I came in to announce to your customers that your service is awful, and DQ has better sammiches"

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

jmra wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote: Could be a good tactic.

I see no advantage to OC and dont plan to do so - but this could be a good opportunity to change minds about gun owners.

If it were me being told to leave I would be courteous & make it obvious that I was leaving - but would ask the employee if he happened to be the manager (probably would be). I would then introduce myself, shake hands & explain I was a long time customer and was disappointed that the company didnt want my business. I would wish him/her a good day & leave. (I wouldnt be surprised if I was offered a gift card or something, that I would politely decline)

After bouncing several courteous and well mannered customers I think there would be a reconsideration - especially after the furor dies down.
I don't believe someone who entered an establishment for the sole purpose of being kicked out of it understands the concept of courteous and well mannered.
I disagree. If the actor never eats at the place (in other words, isn't really a customer), then I would agree. However, if a person frequents WB, and wants to exercise their rights and freedom under the law, I see nothing at all wrong ignoring a sign that has no legal weight, then when asked to leave to inform them they are losing business.

But, I have to wonder - what if no one asks them to leave? Then, it would seem, the proper thing to do would be to order a double-meat double-cheese, and sit and eat.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 53

Post by Taypo »

ScooterSissy wrote:
jmra wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote: Could be a good tactic.

I see no advantage to OC and dont plan to do so - but this could be a good opportunity to change minds about gun owners.

If it were me being told to leave I would be courteous & make it obvious that I was leaving - but would ask the employee if he happened to be the manager (probably would be). I would then introduce myself, shake hands & explain I was a long time customer and was disappointed that the company didnt want my business. I would wish him/her a good day & leave. (I wouldnt be surprised if I was offered a gift card or something, that I would politely decline)

After bouncing several courteous and well mannered customers I think there would be a reconsideration - especially after the furor dies down.
I don't believe someone who entered an establishment for the sole purpose of being kicked out of it understands the concept of courteous and well mannered.
I disagree. If the actor never eats at the place (in other words, isn't really a customer), then I would agree. However, if a person frequents WB, and wants to exercise their rights and freedom under the law, I see nothing at all wrong ignoring a sign that has no legal weight, then when asked to leave to inform them they are losing business.

But, I have to wonder - what if no one asks them to leave? Then, it would seem, the proper thing to do would be to order a double-meat double-cheese, and sit and eat.
What sign are ignoring that has no legal weight?

I'm pretty sure Whataburger knows they're losing business. They admitted as much in the press release. If someone wants to go into one and preach the gospel of CJ and Holcombe, I won't be the one to get in the way. I'll be the one enjoying my burger.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”