CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Mini Rant over HB910 and Horizontal Shoulder Holsters

Post by Greybeard »

Quote: "interesting I wonder how or who could give confirmation on it or not"

Whowuzzit said "The LAW can be what the prosecutor says it is - at least until a jury decides otherwise."
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Taypo »

PBR wrote:
Greybeard wrote:"Only way I would probably openly carry would be with a drop leg / thigh holster."

I have one of those too - and like it. Used periodically with lightweight semi when at hunting lease. But ..... in the opinion of honcho lady from DPS at Instructor Conference a week or three ago, they would probably not meet the "belt holster" definition.
interesting I wonder how or who could give confirmation on it or not -- to me they would be more secure then typical clip belt holster and they do attach to a belt at the top
Speaking of which, could someone please explain to me why a thigh rig is a better option than hip or shoulder? I've worn one years ago, but it was a military model. When you're wearing armor or carrying a long gun, it makes sense. When you're running to Kroger for groceries, I just don't see where its any better than the less showy alternatives.

loktite
Posts in topic: 1

Post by loktite »

PBR wrote: interesting I wonder how or who could give confirmation on it or not -- to me they would be more secure then typical clip belt holster and they do attach to a belt at the top
More secure perhaps in the standard retention included... However, you can't elbow out to defend it in close quarters, and lose a lot of leverage by having to extend arm downward to either defend or draw it. Pretty sure that's why most LEOs only wear one when they are wearing armor and need to have it lower due to room/movement restrictions of the armor. For some its a comfort issue too.

Personally I wear one everyday here on the property, a lot more versatile for my various needs, and a lot more comfortable for sitting on mower/tractor for extended times than an OWB. I actually wear a WIlderness Tactical instructor belt as my normal belt, with a USGI pistol belt right below it with my cheap drop-leg holster attached. I find the drop leg on the wilderness tactical pulls down on the main belt too much with my build (fairly thin) and causes discomfort, but wearing the pistol belt separate is a lot more comfortable. I suppose an inner belt/outer duty belt combo might be better, but right now this works for me. Plus I like having the ability to attach a carabiner to my wilderness tactical as a safety device when using pole saw on elevated platform.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Greybeard »

Question: "Speaking of which, could someone please explain to me why a thigh rig is a better option than hip or shoulder?"

I have used drop rig mostly at hunting lease when carrying other "tools" (such as a bow) and/or when wearing heavy clothing. More comfortable with just an LC9 in it and easier to get to quickly if need - especially against rattlesnakes.

And I agree, mine too is attached to the belt as well as the thigh (typically as high as practical).
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Setxjeff
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Setxjeff »

I wear a vertical shoulder holster while traveling, I am 6'4" 250 so most seats do not allow comfortable belt carry for my size.
Open carry will allow me to get out for gas, rest room break ect. Without having to remember to grab my cover vest. That will probably be my only open carry times as I see it so far.
Even though a horizontal shoulder holster is perfectly safe the muzzle view is not nice. If the holster is closed end the safety factor would be the same but the perception would be better, kinda like a shoulder holster under a jacket, same amount of safety but muzzle view not sweeping everyone behind you.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

Greybeard wrote:Question: "Speaking of which, could someone please explain to me why a thigh rig is a better option than hip or shoulder?"

I have used drop rig mostly at hunting lease when carrying other "tools" (such as a bow) and/or when wearing heavy clothing. More comfortable with just an LC9 in it and easier to get to quickly if need - especially against rattlesnakes.

And I agree, mine too is attached to the belt as well as the thigh (typically as high as practical).
Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks!

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

The thigh rig is also better for Women than a plain belt holster. The different curves my wife has than me makes a pistol in a belt holster stick out. I made her a short drop down holster for her 9 shot 22 snake gun and its works perfectly when we are doing fence work ect.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

The Wall
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Wall »

All I've seen on what holsters must be used for open carry are belt holster and shoulder holster. Nothing specific as to how it should be carried or attached. I think with the law whatever is perceived by the average person would be the rule. (Standard) A belt holster would normally be directly attached or have slots or clips to accommodate the belt and would be worn at the waist. Where do you wear a belt? You wear it around your waist not your thigh. Shoulder holsters also bring up some questions. Does the gun have to be carried under the arm? Can it be worn with the gun on your chest? Is a Bandoleer Rig which is worn over the shoulder but hangs down on the waist okay? Sure glad I'm just going to be wearing a standard OWB holster concealed and occasionally an ankle holster and pocket holster.
How do you all think an ankle holster with a strap running up my leg and attached to my belt while wearing shorts and flip flops will look? :lol: Now there's a fashion statement. Just kidding with a little bit of sarcasm thrown in. I think the point is we all know what a belt holster, and shoulder holster look like and how to wear one. Don't leave it up to interpretation.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Setxjeff wrote:The thigh rig is also better for Women than a plain belt holster. The different curves my wife has than me makes a pistol in a belt holster stick out. I made her a short drop down holster for her 9 shot 22 snake gun and its works perfectly when we are doing fence work ect.
When you're on your own property you can wear what ever you want. :smile:

harrycallahan
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by harrycallahan »

jmra wrote:
bulinm wrote:
jmra wrote:IMHO anyone OCing in a shoulder holster is nothing more than an attention seeker. Hopefully we won't see much of this type of carry.
I wouldn't carry openly with a horizontal shoulder rig. I don't like to be swept with a gun muzzle, and wouldn't do it
to anyone else.

My S&W 60 rides well in a Galco Lite rig, and is very comfortable and accessible while driving, especially those long Texas
drives. If you see me at a gas pump wearing that rig, I'm not seeking attention, I'm just exercising my rights.

jmra, your beatdown, and name calling, of those who might choose to openly carry a handgun within the law is really
getting a little old.
I have nothing against OC or those who choose to do so. Nor have I called anyone names. I only hope that those who do choose to do so use wisdom. And thanks for the beat down. "rlol"
You may or may not have anything against OC for only you know that. However, a lot of your comments regarding OC are in the negative and/or judgmental in nature. You may not like why or how someone decides to open carry but try and not be surprised if you're called on it. And for the record, if you're ever behind me and don't like .45 in my rig...move! :cool:
Last edited by harrycallahan on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like to keep this handy... for close encounters.

TxCHL 5/12

karder

Post by karder »

Setxjeff wrote:I wear a vertical shoulder holster while traveling, I am 6'4" 250 so most seats do not allow comfortable belt carry for my size.
Open carry will allow me to get out for gas, rest room break ect. Without having to remember to grab my cover vest. That will probably be my only open carry times as I see it so far.
Even though a horizontal shoulder holster is perfectly safe the muzzle view is not nice. If the holster is closed end the safety factor would be the same but the perception would be better, kinda like a shoulder holster under a jacket, same amount of safety but muzzle view not sweeping everyone behind you.
Same here. I am not a big a fellow as Setxjeff, but most days I wear a vertical shoulder holster under a loose button up shirt. I think shoulder holsters are the most comfortable way to carry, and while I don't intend to open carry, a loose shirt blowing in the wind a bit won't be a concern of mine anymore. While I agree that a horizontal shoulder holster is completely safe, it is a bit rude to let people stare down your barrel. A closed end holster would be a more polite choice.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

harrycallahan wrote:
jmra wrote:
bulinm wrote:
jmra wrote:IMHO anyone OCing in a shoulder holster is nothing more than an attention seeker. Hopefully we won't see much of this type of carry.
I wouldn't carry openly with a horizontal shoulder rig. I don't like to be swept with a gun muzzle, and wouldn't do it
to anyone else.

My S&W 60 rides well in a Galco Lite rig, and is very comfortable and accessible while driving, especially those long Texas
drives. If you see me at a gas pump wearing that rig, I'm not seeking attention, I'm just exercising my rights.

jmra, your beatdown, and name calling, of those who might choose to openly carry a handgun within the law is really
getting a little old.
I have nothing against OC or those who choose to do so. Nor have I called anyone names. I only hope that those who do choose to do so use wisdom. And thanks for the beat down. "rlol"
You may or may not have anything against OC for only you know that. However, a lot of your comments regarding OC are in the negative and/or judgmental in nature. You may not like why or how someone decides to open carry but try and not be surprised if you're called on it. And for the record, if you're ever behind me and don't like .45 in my rig...move! :cool:
Good work making the point for us.

" I'm gonna carry my gun however I like and screw everyone else, who cares about the image of OC folks."

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Taypo wrote: Good work making the point for us.

" I'm gonna carry my gun however I like and screw everyone else, who cares about the image of OC folks."
Us??? Perhaps "us" is better left out of your statement as you and I do not hold the same opinion on this topic. :thumbs2:

As I read from harrycallahan's post he plans on carrying his gun in a manner allowed by law, in a way that is comfortable and appropriate for him, in a manner not calculated to cause alarm. That you dislike that is fine, that you chastise him for it is no different than MDA members do to anyone with a gun. If that was not how you intended to be understood, outstanding, all I can say is that is how it came across to me :tiphat:

I would hope you would stand behind any citizen who elects to possess, carry, hold, concealed or openly carry a firearm in a manner allowed by law (that would include laws not just reference the carry method but disorderly conduct laws as well) I know I do :patriot: :thumbs2:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

E.Marquez wrote:
Taypo wrote: Good work making the point for us.

Us??? Perhaps "us" is better left out of your statement as you and I do not hold the same opinion on this topic. :thumbs2:

As I read from harrycallahan's post he plans on carrying his gun in a manner allowed by law, in a way that is comfortable and appropriate for him, in a manner not calculated to cause alarm. That you dislike that is fine, that you chastise him for it is no different than MDA members do to anyone with a gun. If that was not how you intended to be understood, outstanding, all I can say is that is how it came across to me :tiphat:

I would hope you would stand behind any citizen who elects to possess, carry, hold, concealed or openly carry a firearm in a manner allowed by law (that would include laws not just reference the carry method but disorderly conduct laws as well) I know I do :patriot: :thumbs2:
The chances of me standing behind someone with an exposed muzzle pointing in my direction are exactly zero. I assure you, you weren't included in my "us" so please, spare your indignation for someone else. Us knows who they are.

You want to OC? Fine, have fun where you can.

You want to flag your muzzle all over creation while you're doing it? That's a problem for a lot of folks, as is the attitude that we're just going to tolerate it.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

RULE 2
NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY

I don't flag. I don't like being flagged.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”