Do Not make a company aware of their non-compliant signs!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

BBYC
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Do Not make a company aware of their non-compliant signs!

Post by BBYC »

Abraham wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:38 pm Kiddkop,

O.K., but many businesses post non-compliant signs (in my opinion) to keep the hand wringing, knuckle biter anti-gun types from going bonkers with worry, all the while knowing CHLers will legally come in.
If that's true then educating them hurts nobody. :thumbs2:
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

When faced with a decision about an action, ask yourself what positive and negative results can come from that action. If you can think of no positives that can result, don't take that action. You don't even need to start thinking about potential negatives.

So I calmly ask, what benefit(s) to the LTC community can possibly come from telling a business owner with a "no guns" sign that his/her sign is legally invalid? Does anyone really hope that they will say "oh my gosh, does that say 'no' guns? I meant to get the sign that says 'guns required for entry'. Thank you so much for pointing that out!".

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

You can't fix stupid but you can teach the ignorant.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LTUME1978 »

I agree 100% with not notifying a company that you visit that their signs are non-compliant. What do you do when it is your employer? Before open carry passed, my office (downtown Houston) had no signs. I would carry concealed due to the motley crowd that was on the streets (had to walk four blocks from the bus stop to the office building). No one asked and I did not tell. My VP did give me the eye one day but he never said anything.

Once open carry passed, they went from no signs to posting both 30.06 and 30.07 signs as did most buildings in downtown Houston (thank you open carry folks). The signs in our building were not even close to being compliant. That put me in a box as I did not want to loose my job for non compliance with company policy. I talked with my manager about this and he popped a cork. He told me that I would be fired on the spot if I was caught carrying concealed. So, I stopped carrying. They never did fix the signs and I no longer work there. I would enjoy going back again some day as a consultant just to be able to walk past the non-compliant signs.

jonmo1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jonmo1 »

BBYC wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:39 pm

O.K., but many businesses post non-compliant signs (in my opinion) to keep the hand wringing, knuckle biter anti-gun types from going bonkers with worry, all the while knowing CHLers will legally come in.
Nor will it help anyone.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Grundy1133 »

jonmo1 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:20 am

Nor will it help anyone.
Schrodinger's signage.. lol
NRA Member

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

jonmo1 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:20 am

Nor will it help anyone.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

LTUME1978 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:10 am I agree 100% with not notifying a company that you visit that their signs are non-compliant. What do you do when it is your employer? Before open carry passed, my office (downtown Houston) had no signs. I would carry concealed due to the motley crowd that was on the streets (had to walk four blocks from the bus stop to the office building). No one asked and I did not tell. My VP did give me the eye one day but he never said anything.

Once open carry passed, they went from no signs to posting both 30.06 and 30.07 signs as did most buildings in downtown Houston (thank you open carry folks). The signs in our building were not even close to being compliant. That put me in a box as I did not want to loose my job for non compliance with company policy. I talked with my manager about this and he popped a cork. He told me that I would be fired on the spot if I was caught carrying concealed. So, I stopped carrying. They never did fix the signs and I no longer work there. I would enjoy going back again some day as a consultant just to be able to walk past the non-compliant signs.
I'm confused. Changing signs does not necessarily equal a change in employee policy. My company has had non-compliant signs for the 10+ years I have worked here, so I can legally carry, but our employee handbook clearly states that it is against company policy to carry in any of our offices (with the sole exception of Tel Aviv). Did your company change policy when they started posting the signs? If you had not initiated a discussion with your manager, would you have been informed of this company policy change?

Also, why would your VP give you "the eye" if you were carrying concealed? Do you think he or she somehow spotted your gun?

flechero

Post by flechero »

If that's true you aren't educating them, they already knew... if it's not, it hurts every CHL'er in the area when the compliant signage goes up... Lots of risk for absolutely NO gain.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

flechero wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:34 am

If that's true you aren't educating them, they already knew... if it's not, it hurts every CHL'er in the area when the compliant signage goes up... Lots of risk for absolutely NO gain.
If they're really anti-gun then I want to know so I take my business somewhere else. If you want to give money to antis THAT hurts gun owners much more than anything I do.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Abraham »

Businesses with non-compliant signs are fence straddlers, they appeal to the antis with a wink at us who know better.

I think that a fair compromise as businesses need to make a profit.

I don't have a problem with this.

If however, they post a legitimate 30.06 sign I don't/won't do business with them.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

:thumbs2: :thumbs2:

It's good to know where they stand. .

jonmo1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jonmo1 »

Identity politics bull. It doesn’t work anyway.
I will not change my behavior based on someone else’s political views. That’s what Libs do.

It’s not ‘Giving’ them money.
It’s exchanging money for goods and services.

flechero

Post by flechero »

BBYC wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:37 pm

If they're really anti-gun then I want to know so I take my business somewhere else. If you want to give money to antis THAT hurts gun owners much more than anything I do.
That's a nice urban view of the world. :lol: In rural areas, we can't always go to the next block to buy groceries or whatever the item in question is. Not to mention leaving the gun in a car and having to disarm/rearm in the car is also senseless.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

:tiphat:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”