Do Not make a company aware of their non-compliant signs!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

mojo84
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Do Not make a company aware of their non-compliant signs!

Post by mojo84 »

Some are willing to cut off their nose to spite their face. Sad how telling someone off is more important than doing the right thing. If you don't want to shop somewhere, don't. Why take a chance on screwing it up for others?

By the way, it doesn't do anyone or our cause any good to be saying everyone with a no gun sign up is an anti-gun nut.

Edited to correct "autocorrect" errors.
Last edited by mojo84 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

mojo84 wrote:Some are willing to cut off their need to spite their face. Sad how telling someone off is more important than doing the right thing. If you don't want to shop somewhere, don't. Why take a chance on screwing it up for others?

By the way, it doesn't do anyone or our cause any good to be saying everyone with a no gun sign up is an anti-gun nut.
:iagree: :iagree:
NRA Endowment Member

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by EEllis »

mojo84 wrote:Some are willing to cut off their need to spite their face. Sad how telling someone off is more important than doing the right thing. If you don't want to shop somewhere, don't. Why take a chance on screwing it up for others?

First that isn't what anyone said. Second obviously there are people here who disagree with that being the "Right" thing. I think that it's the right thing to honor a business owners expressly displayed wishes rather than play lawyer about how it's not legally actionable. If I'm unsure I feel that it is more morally correct to find out what is intended rather than just be happy I'm getting away with exploiting someone's possible ignorance. I also thing I'm going to decide for myself rather than be bullied, however politely, by people on the internet.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Who said anything about exploiting anyone or playing lawyer? If someone puts a sign up that says no guns and you don't want to go against their wishes or exploit them, turn around and leave. What good does it do to bring it to their attention they have a non-compliant sign?

Don't push them and educate them a la OCT.

By the way, the one that may feel bullied is the clerk or business owner that is being confronted by someone that may or may not have a gun on them asking them why they have a no gun sign up.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Dan20703
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dan20703 »

mojo84 wrote:Who said anything about exploiting anyone or playing lawyer? If someone puts a sign up that says no guns and you don't want to go against their wishes or exploit them, turn around and leave. What good does it do to bring it to their attention they have a non-compliant sign?

By the way, the one that may feel bullied is the clerk or business owner that is being confronted by someone that may or may not have a gun on them asking them why they have a no gun sign up.
Okay. Where is the "LIKE" button!
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by EEllis »

mojo84 wrote:Who said anything about exploiting anyone or playing lawyer? If someone puts a sign up that says no guns and you don't want to go against their wishes or exploit them, turn around and leave. What good does it do to bring it to their attention they have a non-compliant sign?

Among other things because depending on the sign I don't know what their wishes are. If they have a old 30.05 sign is it there because they don't know any better or because they no longer are even worried and just never bother to update it. I can't ask why it's there if I refuse to ask. I said playing lawer. That is what I believe many people try to do by trying to get ultra exact to justify not complying.

Now I'm not saying I go around correcting anti gun signs, but I decide for myself and this public shaming thing that I perceive here is not cutting it for me. (No I don't think everyone on here is trying to do that but certainly some are.)

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jimlongley »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
EEllis wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
EEllis wrote:While I wouldn't bring a non compliant sign to the attention of a business to scoff about how they got it wrong or to correct them I disagree that there is something wrong with bringing a non compliant sign up with a business.
if someone is truly anti then I want to know to be able to decide how I spend my money. I can't do that if I don't know if posting an unenforceable sign is intentional or not. That is just one reason I could see possibly approaching a business. There are others. We each make our own choices you will not make mine for me. And no one else should feel pressured by people on here about their choice either.
How about this angle then....... if you see a non-compliant sign, go ahead and approach the manager and tell him you are leaving and won't be shopping there because of the anti-2nd Amendment attitude displayed in his sign...... but DON'T educate him about the sign's non-compliance! That way, you get to express your displeasure, and you don't ruin it for other CHLs who might want to still shop there. Go ahead and make that decision for yourself, but don't force your decision on others by educating the owner/manager about the sign.
Umm, no.
jimlongley wrote:I still don't understand what is being ruined?

Your chance to give an obvious anti-gun nut your money?

Your chance to give an obvious anti-gun nut who can't even be bothered to comply with the law your money?

You chance to give an obvious anti-gun nut who can't even be bothered to comply with the law and would gleefully see to it that you were incarcerated for the rest of your life and your guns confiscated and ground up and buried your money.

If they have a non-compliant sign I am informing them. Of the number of times I have done this, I have only seen the signage change twice, and that was when Bass Pro shops TOOK DOWN their signs in response to my complaint and the city of Plano removed theirs. Not one other has ever replaced a non-compliant sign with a compliant one.

That these people are exposing their ignorance is a source for our mirth, but don't think for a second that they wouldn't hesitate to at least attempt to prosecute you if you are discovered on their property in defiance of their sign, and if it happens to be an anti- gun nut cop who shows up, you can bet you'll take the ride.
When you push - through your actions, not mine - a anti-gun owner into posting a compliant sign, you have taken away one of MY options, which you don't have the moral authority to do to me.

I get it. I don't want stores to post signs at all. I am NOT in favor of them. But, some stores are going to, and it is MY right to choose whether to withhold my dollars or not from that store. When you educate such a store owner into replacing his invalid gunbusters sign with a valid 30.06 sign, you have removed from ME the option to carry into his store if I want to. I WON'T carry past a valid sign, and I WILL withhold my business from a store with a valid sign. But if they have a simple gunbusters sign on the door - as does my bank of many years for instance - and YOU walk in there and inform them that their sign is invalid and that they have to post a valid 30.06 sign, now I have to change banks - no thanks to you. In other words, it is your actions that will have caused a previously nonexistent burden to be placed on my life - not the ignorant store owner's. He might have been content to just let things ride with the gunbusters sign. My local bank is just one branch in a larger corporation. The gunbuster sign on the door may have zero to do with the personal convictions of a single one of the employees, from the president on down. In fact, none of the original employees who worked there when I opened my accounts are still working there. It may have been purely a corporate decision. But if you go in there and make a big deal out of it to the president/manager, they may refer it up the chain of command to corporate, and a decision may come down to post valid signage.....and I have to change banks.....thank you very much.

If you can't see that, then I can't help you.........but do me a favor then and stay out of my neck of the woods and don't force any of MY local merchants into posting correct signage. And I will promise to do the same for you.
You still have not convinced me, lo these many years, nor have you explained why you didn't already stop doing business with that anti-gun bank, in other words, not doing business with anyone who posts any anti-gun signage.

It's a very polarizing issue, and I stand on the opposite pole from you. I don't see that I am forcing them to do anything, to post or not is their decision, and as I said above, the only places I have seen the signage change has been Bass Pro, and the city of Plano, and they both removed their signage.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

I believe the vast majority of hospital 30.06 postings were the result of such a conversation. I was not involved in the conversation but have first hand knowledge of it. Prior to "the conversation" that happened a number of years ago with the head of security at said hospital, I don't know of a single hospital that was properly posted. Within months of being informed, 30.06 worded warnings started popping up all over the metroplex. The head of security at the hospital networked with with his peers at other hospitals and spread the word. Now it's getting hard to find a hospital that isn't posted.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Kiddkop
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Kiddkop »

:iagree: :iagree:
EEllis wrote:

First that isn't what anyone said. Second obviously there are people here who disagree with that being the "Right" thing. I think that it's the right thing to honor a business owners expressly displayed wishes rather than play lawyer about how it's not legally actionable. If I'm unsure I feel that it is more morally correct to find out what is intended rather than just be happy I'm getting away with exploiting someone's possible ignorance. I also thing I'm going to decide for myself rather than be bullied, however politely, by people on the internet.

Kiddkop

Post by Kiddkop »

As a future LTCer, in less than 24 hours some commentors have convinced me it is the correct thing to do to notify business owners/managers of the unlawful signage.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

First off, it's not unlawful signage. Second, what exactly do you think telling them is going too accomplish?

Kiddkop

Post by Kiddkop »

Touché I should have said unenforceable signage

And the accomplishment will be for them to possibly remove the incorrect sign or post a 30.06. Furthermore, I will discern the intent of the owner/management and will be able to make an informed decision as to future dealings

Apparently I have a different opinion than many here. I believe that I should respect the intent of the business owner. If I chose to remain a patron is my decision.

I see after reading several post here that many people believe they should have a legal right to carry a weapon anywhere they choose, I do not share that opinion.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

If you really wanted to respect their decision, you would just not carry past a sign whether it was enforceable or not.

This trying to respect their wished line is just crap. Just don't walk past a no guns sign with a gun. You still get to make your decision and so does the property owner.

Your comment about people wanting to carry anywhere they want has nothing to do with this topic.

Kiddkop

Post by Kiddkop »

mojo84 wrote:If you really wanted to respect their decision, you would just not carry past a sign whether it was enforceable or not.

This trying to respect their wished line is just crap. Just don't walk past a no guns sign with a gun. You still get to make your decision and so does the property owner.

Your comment about people wanting to carry anywhere they want has nothing to do with this topic.
Fortunately, you don't get to tell me what to do and i don't care if you think respecting wishes is crap.

My comment concerning some people's wishes was just stating a fact that I was unaware of. I am new to the site and a waiting LTCer...I thought I would learn a little at a site like this and I was correct!

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

Kiddkop wrote:Touché I should have said unenforceable signage

And the accomplishment will be for them to possibly remove the incorrect sign or post a 30.06. Furthermore, I will discern the intent of the owner/management and will be able to make an informed decision as to future dealings

Apparently I have a different opinion than many here. I believe that I should respect the intent of the business owner. If I chose to remain a patron is my decision.

I see after reading several post here that many people believe they should have a legal right to carry a weapon anywhere they choose, I do not share that opinion.
So you would like to see more places off limits to CHL (more 30.06 postings)?
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”