Knives past government metal detectors

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
CJD
Posts in topic: 4

Knives past government metal detectors

Post by CJD »

With state knife preemption taking effect, how does this affect taking knives past government metal detectors, say at courthouses?

oohrah
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Knives past government metal detectors

Post by oohrah »

I just had jury duty. They said no knives. I didn't argue with them.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
CJD

Post by CJD »

oohrah wrote:I just had jury duty. They said no knives. I didn't argue with them.
Yeah I know what they'll WANT to do, I'm just wondering what the actual law says now.

TexDotCom

Post by TexDotCom »

Sorry a little OT, but I had jury duty for Dallas County last week and they took, and threw away, the P38 can opener I had on my key chain. Talk about "form over function"...I was in a building *full* of armed LEOs and, seriously, it was a freakin' *P38*!!!

:banghead: :mad5 :banghead: :mad5

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

You could do more damage with a car or house key than a P38. I'm betting it didn't end up in the trash either. Someone took it home.

Taypo
Banned

Post by Taypo »

TexDotCom wrote:Sorry a little OT, but I had jury duty for Dallas County last week and they took, and threw away, the P38 can opener I had on my key chain. Talk about "form over function"...I was in a building *full* of armed LEOs and, seriously, it was a freakin' *P38*!!!

:banghead: :mad5 :banghead: :mad5
...and they wonder why nobody shows up for jury duty...

Bladed

Post by Bladed »

It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.

Rep. Stickland's knife preemption bill, which went nowhere, included an exclusion that would have allowed municipalities (and, in the committee substitute, counties) to continue prohibiting weapons inside areas secured with metal detectors. However, Rep. Frullo's knife preemption bill--the one that passed--includes no such exclusion. I suspect that this is going to be a point of contention at city and county courthouses, but we'll just have to wait and see.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Ashamedly, I'm ignorant of this new law. What about it makes it illegal for a courthouse to ban otherwise legal knives inside the courthouse?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
CJD

Post by CJD »

C-dub wrote:Ashamedly, I'm ignorant of this new law. What about it makes it illegal for a courthouse to ban otherwise legal knives inside the courthouse?
It adds state preemption of knife laws. Similar to the preemption for gun laws, it means that local governments cannot create knife laws that are more strict than the state. Since, at the state level, it is not illegal to carry a knife in a court, it is also not legal for local governments to prohibit knives in courts.

*IANAL and this is my interpretation of HB905.

ELB

Post by ELB »

CJD wrote:
C-dub wrote:Ashamedly, I'm ignorant of this new law. What about it makes it illegal for a courthouse to ban otherwise legal knives inside the courthouse?
It adds state preemption of knife laws. Similar to the preemption for gun laws, it means that local governments cannot create knife laws that are more strict than the state. Since, at the state level, it is not illegal to carry a knife in a court, it is also not legal for local governments to prohibit knives in courts.

*IANAL and this is my interpretation of HB905.
I get the impression that judges pretty much think their word is law inside their courtrooms, so unless if a judge tells court bailiff "no knives" I suspect getting any restriction on knives in courthouses is going to be very difficult regardless of HB 905. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to be proven wrong on this, but not holding my breath.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
CJD

Post by CJD »

I think we need an SB 273-like bill for state weapon preemption. We need an enforcement mechanism.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”