6+1 or 15+1??? Is it enough with a lower round count?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 6+1 or 15+1??? Is it enough with a lower round count?

Post by Abraham »

No one can guess if 7 rounds will be plenty unless they're clairvoyant...

Me, I carry a G19 with a spare magazine.

More isn't less, it's more.

A 5/6 shot revolver was fine back in the 1800's...

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

YMMV. Depending on circumstances and dress, I carry either a Bodyguard 380 + an extra magazine or an M&P 9C + an extra full-size magazine. So far, I haven't wanted or needed more, and I sincerely hope I never do.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

12+1 with 13 round spare mag. 100 in the car.

I am a bad guesser. If I had two spare mags, I would carry them both. My wife carries two extra speed loaders for her LCR.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Jago668
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jago668 »

I carry a G17 with two spares. I used to carry 3 spares (what my mag holder will take), but swapped one out for a flashlight holder.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Thanks for all the replies so far good point of views. I feel more comfortable with my 19 but if I couldn't carry I'd feel just as safe with my 43. I carry the 19 because I just like to be over prepared

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I carry the PPS 99% of the time with the 6+1 mag IWB. The other times is the P99 with 12+1 also IWB. I too sometimes question if 7 is enough but the PPS is so much easier to carry than the full size P99. My buddy says you can't hardly tell the P99 is on me when I do have it but I sure can tell it is there. I've thought about getting a P99c and then would have 8+1 and could carry a 12 round back up mag as the difference between the compact and full size is barrel length and grip length. I don't think the width would be as much of an issue as the length of the barrel.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

My EDC is my XDs 9 with the mid extention - I figure if I can't get it done with 8+1 rounds, then it is probably something I shouldn't get involved with, or should be looking for a way to tactically retreat long before I expend those 9 rounds.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

One is enough if you hit the right spot.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

More important than what you carry is how you train. The more time you can train in different situations, including presentation from the holster, engaging multiple targets, moving while shooting, using cover/concealment, clearing malfunctions, changing mags, etc... under some sort of stress, the better.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

glazer1972

Post by glazer1972 »

I've always thought that 8+1 from a 1911 was probably enough but you can always whack em with it if you ran out. I still prefer to have about 25 rds or so on me at any given time but sometimes I just carry the mag in the gun whether that be 8 or 12 or whatever.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

If I want to carry 1911. I can easily carry 4 mags extra for a total of 41 rds! 1911 mags are so thin. But, I still have doubt about reliability of 1911 as a carry pistol. My Ed brown would misfire each 70-80 rds. Colt Gold Cup match would not lock slide back on last rd in 3 out of 5 new mags. I did shot my STIs yet.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Beiruty wrote:I have been carrying for like 7yrs now. 14 + 17rds of 9mm for my PX4SC or 16 +15 for my HKP30. Why 31 rds? who knows, It is a prime number :mrgreen:
That would also send a message to any surveying aliens that you are an intelligent life form. I saw that in a Jody Foster movie.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

J.R.@A&M wrote:
Beiruty wrote:I have been carrying for like 7yrs now. 14 + 17rds of 9mm for my PX4SC or 16 +15 for my HKP30. Why 31 rds? who knows, It is a prime number :mrgreen:
That would also send a message to any surveying aliens that you are an intelligent life form. I saw that in a Jody Foster movie.

That's why I shoot 1 shot, then 2 shots, then 3 shots, then 7, etc. So aliens know I can math while shooting. =)
NRA Benefactor Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Jago668 wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:

That's why I shoot 1 shot, then 2 shots, then 3 shots, then 7, etc. So aliens know I can math while shooting. =)
I suppose that means your gun is a weapon of math destruction? :leaving
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”