Accelerated CHL Process

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dcphoto
Posts in topic: 2

Accelerated CHL Process

Post by dcphoto »

Anybody know if a person can get priority handling for her CHL? Domestic abuse situation, restraining order, etc.

Also, any recommendations for classes in San Angelo?

stingeragent
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Accelerated CHL Process

Post by stingeragent »

No priority handling that I am aware of. You can still defend yourself with a hand gun even without a CHL provided the gun is in your car/home.

TX_Aggies_WRTS

Post by TX_Aggies_WRTS »

OP's question raises a red flag. If you feel you need a CHL/weapon to protect yourself from domestic abuse, maybe you should consider talking to the police about said threat.

If someone has threatened to hurt you, call the police, and let them sort it out. :txflag:

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Tell her to call local police and see about getting an emergency protection order put in effect. Also, make sure she has a weapon and knows how to use it.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Topic author
dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

TX_Aggies_WRTS wrote:OP's question raises a red flag. If you feel you need a CHL/weapon to protect yourself from domestic abuse, maybe you should consider talking to the police about said threat.

If someone has threatened to hurt you, call the police, and let them sort it out. :txflag:
nightmare69 wrote:Tell her to call local police and see about getting an emergency protection order put in effect. Also, make sure she has a weapon and knows how to use it.
Did you read what I wrote? I said she has a restraining order, etc. Police are involved.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

dcphoto wrote:
TX_Aggies_WRTS wrote:OP's question raises a red flag. If you feel you need a CHL/weapon to protect yourself from domestic abuse, maybe you should consider talking to the police about said threat.

nightmare69 wrote:Tell her to call local police and see about getting an emergency protection order put in effect. Also, make sure she has a weapon and knows how to use it.
Did you read what I wrote? I said she has a restraining order, etc. Police are involved.
Restraining order is worthless. A protective order is signed by a judge and has teeth. Person violates a protective order they go to jail no questions asked.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

dcphoto wrote:

Good idea, come in here asking for help and then proceed to tell off two of the three people that tried to help. To clarify, you never said she had the police involved or a restraining order. From what you wrote you simply listed possible scenarios that you thought might qualify for expedited handling.

I'm sure it's a stressful event that lead up to your question, but no need to take it out on folks that are merely trying to help. Perhaps some clarification on your part might help.

Regardless stingeragent makes a good point. Maybe you can help educator her on the law regarding the MPA and Castle Doctrine until she can get through a class and get her plastic.

This is the first result when you Google San Angelo CHL classes. Looks like there is one next Saturday, however it shows full. That said you might see if they could squeeze one more in given the situation.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

It's good there's a restraining order and police involvement. Make sure to get copies of police reports. This will help your case after the dirt bag is shot.
She shouldn't be asking the DPS about getting LTC for those reasons in my opinion. It may be construed as premeditated or her mental state. Purchase the gun now because it takes a while to obtain the LTC. It's not like the abuser is going to sit around and wait for her to get a LTC. Taking classes or have a good friend like yourself give her instructions. Also she should be careful what she post about it in open forums, online, and in emails.

TX_Aggies_WRTS

Post by TX_Aggies_WRTS »

OP would most likely go to prison for premeditated murder after discussing the topic on this board. I hope the investigators are thorough. Merry Christmas.

TexasFlash

Post by TexasFlash »

TX_Aggies_WRTS wrote:OP would most likely go to prison for premeditated murder after discussing the topic on this board. I hope the investigators are thorough. Merry Christmas.
IMHO, she is pre-meditating self defense, as are most of us on this forum.
:txflag:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

TX_Aggies_WRTS wrote:OP would most likely go to prison for premeditated murder after discussing the topic on this board. I hope the investigators are thorough. Merry Christmas.
Read more. Post judiciously.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

dcphoto wrote:

Asking for help on the internet is like walking across a beautifully manicured PUBLIC lawn.

Its best to avoid the doggy doo rather than let it make you mad.

A judge may be able to grant emergency permission. Ask the judge that issued the restraining order. If not, home and car carry don't require a license.

Good on you for providing assistance.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

TexasFlash wrote:
IMHO, she is pre-meditating self defense, as are most of us on this forum.
:txflag:

:iagree:
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Ya like that really works out for the victims.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

I'm mystified by some of the responses to the OP here.

If a person has suffered physical abuse, reported it the police, gotten a restraining order and still feels under threat, there are plenty of historical cases that show court paper is often not enough to stop someone who is intent on harm. The Carol Browne case in NJ is a case in point, and was a virtually identical situation to the one in the OP in terms of the framework of basic details - up to the point where she was in fact murdered by the person she feared.

It is indisputable that the police cannot respond in time to make any difference to the victim of a surprise attack. IMHO, getting a LTC under these circumstances is a perfectly rational thing to do in order to be prepared in the event there is no other reasonable way to prevent the infliction of serious injury or death by a person who is known to be violent and who has knowledge of personal movement patterns (e.g., work, church, etc.) that can be exploited. This is a very long way from premeditated murder.

It will be extremely important for a person in this situation to get training in the law, safe gun handling, situational awareness, attack avoidance and evasion, verbal encounter techniques, use of the handgun in close in defense situations, and shooting incident aftermath management as soon as possible to ensure that it becomes an effective part of her protective systems and not a potential source of additional headaches that she certainly doesn't need at this point.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”