CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
stingeragent
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Who is going to open carry?

Post by stingeragent »

Ok, first off I know this has been posted on here before. I tried to search for it , but the search kept telling me "open carry" is too common and I need to try again. Then tried "who is going to oc" and it said I can't use words with less than 3 letters. So I gave up and here I am. I still am on the fence about to OC or not. I think I can see it going a few different ways.
1. You walk into a gas station. A future robber sees your gun and decides to try some place else
2. You walk into a gas station. A future robber sees your gun and decides to shoot you first.

Really hard to tell which scenario will take place. I am sure there are a lot of robbers out there that carry guns but have no intention of using them unless things go south. What's been going through my head, is would the presence of an OC gun deter them or not. I think what I'm thinking is, I'll do a 50/50 approach. Use an outside waist band holster, but still keep my shirt over it. Problem I've had with IWB ( maybe it's just my holster ), can't find a position that is comfortable sitting in the car. I think an OWB holster would solve this. I've also thought about the implication of someone trying to grab your in plain sight hand gun. How do you prevent that short of having a holster strap?

Ernisto
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Who is going to open carry?

Post by Ernisto »

Great law, everyone should be able to defend their self and family at home or anywhere they travel. I hope to get this law passed in birmingham where I live.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

stingeragent wrote:Ok, first off I know this has been posted on here before. I tried to search for it , but the search kept telling me "open carry" is too common and I need to try again. Then tried "who is going to oc" and it said I can't use words with less than 3 letters. So I gave up and here I am. I still am on the fence about to OC or not. I think I can see it going a few different ways.
1. You walk into a gas station. A future robber sees your gun and decides to try some place else
2. You walk into a gas station. A future robber sees your gun and decides to shoot you first.

Really hard to tell which scenario will take place. I am sure there are a lot of robbers out there that carry guns but have no intention of using them unless things go south. What's been going through my head, is would the presence of an OC gun deter them or not. I think what I'm thinking is, I'll do a 50/50 approach. Use an outside waist band holster, but still keep my shirt over it. Problem I've had with IWB ( maybe it's just my holster ), can't find a position that is comfortable sitting in the car. I think an OWB holster would solve this. I've also thought about the implication of someone trying to grab your in plain sight hand gun. How do you prevent that short of having a holster strap?
In answer to your subject, I will continue to carry openly were I can, conceal as the situation dictates, and disarm when I must. You carry your way, I'll carry mine. That we carry is the most important thing. How, what, and why we carry are personal decisions based on personal choices. Like most things in life, it is a matter of which risks you are willing to manage and which benefits matter most to you.

I will continue to use a retention device to keep my pistol in place as I traverse broken terrain while recovering my rockets.

In this picture from July, 2015, near Tucson, AZ, I am on the left with my 9mm. My then 18 year old son is on the right, holding his Nike Smoke scale model, and wearing his .45.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
stingeragent
Banned

Post by stingeragent »

Thanks for the tips. Unrelated but I was in 1-7 Cav 1CD. I may have to look into a retention device. I had a holster in Iraq for the beretta that has a "button" on it you have to press to unholster it, but that holster was fairly bulky.

The Wall
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Wall »

Maybe looking at the statistics from other states that already have open carry will answer your question. I personally don't plan on OC where I live. Too many people. Concealed carry is just so much better in my opinion. I do feel you should have the choice.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

stingeragent wrote:Ok, first off I know this has been posted on here before. I tried to search for it , but the search kept telling me "open carry" is too common and I need to try again. Then tried "who is going to oc" and it said I can't use words with less than 3 letters. So I gave up and here I am. I still am on the fence about to OC or not. I think I can see it going a few different ways.

I think you have the right idea here. Everyone seems to be geared towards scenario 1 or 2, and 1 or 2 only. I think it definitely will depend on the criminal. I'm just going to carry owb and never think twice about it. If it shows, it shows, if it doesn't it doesn't. Obviously come August next year I will have to keep it concealed at school, and for that I have a galco king tuck. It is actually pretty dang comfortable for a commander size 1911, and actually the more it breaks in the better it gets. It actually is just fine for me in the car.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I plan to OC discretely. Looking forward to seeing how its received.

I have faith in Texas. I'm expecting to meet some new friends while walking softly.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

I don't plan on ever OC. That being said, I did buy the 5.11 thumb drive level 2 retention holster because if I do OC I want that extra layer of retention. Chances are it's going to sit in it's org packaging a very long time. CC, to me, is the best option. No need to draw attention to myself or show my cards to those wishing harm.
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

The last couple of evenings, KXAS in DFW has been running short pieces about the new law, talking about signage, open carrying, required licensing. Didn't see any mistakes in their copy.

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Has anyone heard of anything happening to anyone that OC's where it's already legal? It's been legal in several states for years, I've never heard of anything happening to them because of OC
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafe ... or/2214432

There was that, but only one I know of off the top of my head.
NRA Benefactor Member

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Open carry will not normally be one of my options. I like being discreet and don't want the additional attention.
N5PNZ

charliee

Post by charliee »

I would like to open carry but won't until LE recognizes the fact that they would be violating my rights to stop me and check my license... just because they see me open carrying. I just don't feel like being harassed and embarrassed. I'll stay with concealed.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I will continue to carry concealed, just as I have for the last 15 yeears or so. I can't think of a good reason to leave home with all my junk hanging out, and a few reasons why I shouldn't.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Rick

Post by Distinguished Rick »

2farnorth wrote:Open carry will not normally be one of my options. I like being discreet and don't want the additional attention.
+1
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”