Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
Russell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#1

Post by Russell » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:18 pm

Hi all,

Our Android app is in official beta status. We are accepting the first 50 "customers" to test it out and provide feedback. If you are interested, please check the site for how to be added to the list.

Be sure to thank SoloXCRacer, our Android developer, for his hard work on this. Without his expert skills and willingness to donate so much time to helping make this app a reality, it'd never come to be!

iPhone App is still being beta tested and will be ready for our official launch very soon!

Thanks all!
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006


Bitterclinger
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:27 am

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#2

Post by Bitterclinger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:27 am

Cool, but what's this app going to do?

I'd like one that generates a notification If I'm near any of the "illegal-guns only" zones created by a thirty-ought sign... maybe send my android wear watch a trigger to show a big red "THIS AREA IS UNSAFE" peak card. Maybe yellow for ought-sevens, and red for both.

Other nifty feature might be:
  • Let user put in his CHL date, and use it to tell him when he needs to renew.
  • Display a list of pertinent laws (with an English translation for those who do not speak Latin)
  • Bulletin feature to provide user with push updates and alerts with an android notification (get a SME to make regular updates)
  • Simplified checklist for steps to getting CHL with live check-boxes
  • (Half-baked idea) some sort of social media feature that lets user "like" businesses that support the 2nd (hey, ask the sales guy if he could get anything out of this by asking entrepreneurs if they want to be on our cool map!)
  • Questionnaire about how many guns user has and when they will be away from home like the Census has (kidding)
  • :anamatedbanana
It's not even out and I'm requesting features, but I'm a programmer/QA engineer, so let me know if you need testers. Id like to get my hands dirty on some android code, but I haven't yet, so all I can do on that end is come up with lots of wonderful ideas.

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8786
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#3

Post by mojo84 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:39 am

I went to the site but didn't see anything about signing up. There was a black header banner when I first got there but it disappeared when I clicked on it.

User avatar

oljames3
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 2424
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:21 pm
Location: Elgin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#4

Post by oljames3 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:19 am

mojo84 wrote:I went to the site but didn't see anything about signing up. There was a black header banner when I first got there but it disappeared when I clicked on it.
That banner is the instructions. Do not click or try to copy as I did.

Clear your browser's cache and go to the site again. Read the message. Do not click. ;-)
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA Distinguished Life Member (Disabled Vet), TSRA, NAR L1

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8786
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#5

Post by mojo84 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:03 pm

Thanks. I was on my phone and could not see if very well.


JamesTX10
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:15 pm
Location: Allen, TX

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#6

Post by JamesTX10 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:55 pm

I did the same. Email androidbeta @ texas3006 DOT com
:txflag:

User avatar

rtschl
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Fort Worth

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#7

Post by rtschl » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:27 pm

Thank you Russell and SoloXCRacer. I just signed up. :anamatedbanana
Ron
NRA Member


Topic author
Russell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#8

Post by Russell » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:42 pm

Lol my what a list of demands for an app that's not even released yet :txflag:
Bitterclinger wrote:Cool, but what's this app going to do?

I'd like one that generates a notification If I'm near any of the "illegal-guns only" zones created by a thirty-ought sign...
This is already available with the iPhone app (finishing its Beta run soon). The Android app will have this feature very soon (if not in the first official release). It will not be available in the Beta version.

[*] Display a list of pertinent laws (with an English translation for those who do not speak Latin)
Not a bad idea. I may add this to the list.

Other nifty feature might be:
  • Let user put in his CHL date, and use it to tell him when he needs to renew.
  • Bulletin feature to provide user with push updates and alerts with an android notification (get a SME to make regular updates)
  • Simplified checklist for steps to getting CHL with live check-boxes
  • (Half-baked idea) some sort of social media feature that lets user "like" businesses that support the 2nd (hey, ask the sales guy if he could get anything out of this by asking entrepreneurs if they want to be on our cool map!)
  • Questionnaire about how many guns user has and when they will be away from home like the Census has (kidding)
  • :anamatedbanana
My initial thought around these is that's a lot of bloat for an app that is only designed to do gun sign notifications, submissions, and alerting. I want to do a few things really well, not a lot of things mediocre!

Honestly though, thank you for your feedback! This is how we are able to make the apps better!
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006


Topic author
Russell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#9

Post by Russell » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:01 pm

Beta signup to test the Android App is now closed, all spots are filled.

If you signed up, thank you! Please look for further instructions in your email in a few days.
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#10

Post by Scott B. » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Missed out, but 50 slots to go that quickly should make you very happy.

Can't wait for the android app to make it out of beta.
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT


Topic author
Russell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#11

Post by Russell » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:26 pm

Scott B. wrote:Missed out, but 50 slots to go that quickly should make you very happy.

Can't wait for the android app to make it out of beta.

Go ahead and send an email, we haven't made the Play Store group yet. Shhhh don't tell anyone else though.... :) It's going to get set up this evening for sure and it'll be hard locked at that point.
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006


Topic author
Russell
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 11
Posts: 2813
Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#12

Post by Russell » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:29 pm

Hi all,

I've put together a mailing list form so that you can be notified as soon as the apps are available in the app store. We are days away from submitting them for approval to Apple / Google, we're super excited!

You can sign up on our new Mobile Apps page here: http://www.texas3006.com/mobileapps.php


Thanks!
http://www.texas3006.com - Texas 30.06 and 30.07 Signage Database.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/texas3006

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#13

Post by Scott B. » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:49 pm

Gracias! :txflag:
LTC / SSC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, CRSO, Life Member.
Sig pistol/rifle & Glock armorer | FFL 07/02 SOT


Bitterclinger
Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:27 am

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#14

Post by Bitterclinger » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:00 am

Russell wrote:Lol my what a list of demands for an app that's not even released yet :txflag:
Bitterclinger wrote:Cool, but what's this app going to do?

I'd like one that generates a notification If I'm near any of the "illegal-guns only" zones created by a thirty-ought sign...
This is already available with the iPhone app (finishing its Beta run soon). The Android app will have this feature very soon (if not in the first official release). It will not be available in the Beta version.

[*] Display a list of pertinent laws (with an English translation for those who do not speak Latin)
Not a bad idea. I may add this to the list.

Other nifty feature might be:
  • Let user put in his CHL date, and use it to tell him when he needs to renew.
  • Bulletin feature to provide user with push updates and alerts with an android notification (get a SME to make regular updates)
  • Simplified checklist for steps to getting CHL with live check-boxes
  • (Half-baked idea) some sort of social media feature that lets user "like" businesses that support the 2nd (hey, ask the sales guy if he could get anything out of this by asking entrepreneurs if they want to be on our cool map!)
  • Questionnaire about how many guns user has and when they will be away from home like the Census has (kidding)
  • :anamatedbanana
My initial thought around these is that's a lot of bloat for an app that is only designed to do gun sign notifications, submissions, and alerting. I want to do a few things really well, not a lot of things mediocre!

Honestly though, thank you for your feedback! This is how we are able to make the apps better!
YW. I was in brainstorming mode and I didn't realize you were so far along and ready to deploy for beta. I had the same problem with the disappearing black bar, but it looks like you have more than enough volunteers. Fifty in <24 hours? That's got to be some kind of record. :anamatedbanana

User avatar

Bugler
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:22 pm
Location: Beaumont~Southeast Texas / The Right side of Texas
Contact:

Re: Texas3006.com Android App in official beta

#15

Post by Bugler » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:28 pm

Thank you very much Russell and SoloXCRacer. I signed up! Waiting for instructions!

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”