+1 for Kindle and Audio.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Bladed
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Half Price Records & Books--30.06/30.07

Post by Bladed »

martywj wrote:My wife and I had occasion to visit the Burleson location for Half Price Records & Books today to sell some books back and purchase some more. We noticed some new editions on each side of the entrance as we parked. A 30.06 sign on the left and a 30.07 sign on the right. I went went ahead and disarmed, leaving my weapon in the car. I am sure these are new. I asked Management about them and was told that is something that the corporate office had sent out because of the new open carry law. I informed that it was pretty lame to post both when they were only trying stop open carry which I understand since there a large number of children that come here. I told her that I had concealed carried into their store many times without issue. She said there was nothing she could do since the order had come from corporate. I informed her that this would be my last transaction with them until they changed their policy. She said she understood, and that I should inform corporate of my unhappiness. I will be sending them a email, although I don"t really expect anything to happen?

Marty
Here is the email address I found for CEO Sharon Wright: swright@halfpricebooks.com

fickman
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fickman »

Bladed wrote:Here is the email address I found for CEO Sharon Wright: swright@halfpricebooks.com
I Googled her name and read an article about her in D Magazine. I'm not one to surrender before we even get started, but if you'll excuse my profiling her - somewhere between the rich north Dallas resident drinking an organic latte at an "independent" coffee shop (as a point of pride) and ordering banana bread for breakfast and then not eating it, I began to think, "Yeah, she ain't changing her mind."

LINK to D Magazine Article

I actually felt optimistic before now.

To be fair:
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with supporting independent coffee shops, I actually prefer it.
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with going out of your way to point out how non-corporate the coffee shop is.
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with being a rich resident of north Dallas.
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with drinking organic milk.
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with ordering banana bread for breakfast.
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with not eating your banana bread breakfast.

. . . I just got a vibe, that's all. :coolgleamA:
Native Texian

FlyNShoot

Post by FlyNShoot »

Gee, open carry is proving to be such a win...

Not. :nono:

rentz
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rentz »

fickman wrote:
Bladed wrote:Here is the email address I found for CEO Sharon Wright: swright@halfpricebooks.com
I Googled her name and read an article about her in D Magazine. I'm not one to surrender before we even get started, but if you'll excuse my profiling her - somewhere between the rich north Dallas resident drinking an organic latte at an "independent" coffee shop (as a point of pride) and ordering banana bread for breakfast and then not eating it, I began to think, "Yeah, she ain't changing her mind."

To be fair:
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with supporting independent coffee shops, I actually prefer it.
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with going out of your way to point out how non-corporate the coffee shop is.
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with being a rich resident of north Dallas.
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with drinking organic milk.
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with ordering banana bread for breakfast.
- There's nothing wrong or inherently liberal / anti-gun with not eating your banana bread breakfast.

yes i dont see them changing their mind, it took them long enough to get into an eCommerce presence and even when they did its not large for a company of their size and it doesnt seem to be a priority even though thats the trend.

All we can do is send letters and emails (and likely get form letters back if anything) but it's her business she can run it how she pleases.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

"... but it's her business she can run it how she pleases."
That is the beauty of freedom. It's also our right to spend money where it pleases as well. I wish her well and respect her rights. But my money will now go elsewhere. I was a regular customer and my holstered concealed firearm was never a risk to anyone in the store. Having had an attempted mugging happen to me outside a restaurant a few years back, I made myself a promise that it's better to be safe than sorry. I will not shop or eat in "gun free" victim zones or walk through parking lots helpless to defend myself to go to such places. Nor will I buy gas at service stations posted with 30.06 in case some issue with the pump requires me to go into the building.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

TexasGal wrote:
"... but it's her business she can run it how she pleases."
That is the beauty of freedom. It's also our right to spend money where it pleases as well. I wish her well and respect her rights. But my money will now go elsewhere. I was a regular customer and my holstered concealed firearm was never a risk to anyone in the store. Having had an attempted mugging happen to me outside a restaurant a few years back, I made myself a promise that it's better to be safe than sorry. I will not shop or eat in "gun free" victim zones or walk through parking lots helpless to defend myself to go to such places. Nor will I buy gas at service stations posted with 30.06 in case some issue with the pump requires me to go into the building.
This. At present, I'm only forced to disarm in medical facilities since there are virtually no options among them that are not posted. In other cases, I have a choice of where to do business. I have no illusions about the impact of my not doing business with a gun free zone, even if every LTC joined me. But the overflowing demand for LTC classes suggests that public sentiment is not on the side of the gun free merchants. At some point, some may actually recognize that.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

fickman wrote:

The caricature of her on the cover nearly knocked me off of my chair.
If it were me, I would sue D magazine.
She is an "interesting" person, that's for sure.
I never would have suspected.
NRA Endowment Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TexasGal,

Other than the waiting threads, I think I read almost every thread.

That said, if you've already written a thread about the attempted mugging you experienced, O.K., I guess I just don't remember it.

If you have'nt written about it, would you please?

Thanks!

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

Abraham wrote:TexasGal,

Other than the waiting threads, I think I read almost every thread.

That said, if you've already written a thread about the attempted mugging you experienced, O.K., I guess I just don't remember it.

If you have'nt written about it, would you please?

Thanks!
It's in this old thread:
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... nt#p871535

I used to carry in my purse a lot til that day. Sorry, its kind of a long-winded recounting but I was hoping to illustrate to women reading it how I found out purse carry can be a mistake.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Nortex
Banned

Post by Nortex »

So, it's for the children? I think I have heard that argument in the past. I think that if you have a secure holster, then children being in the store shouldn't matter. As a matter of fact, there are children in a lot of places that people carry guns. Like the OP, I just would have made that my last trip.

OldAg

Post by OldAg »

I tried to talk to the south Fort Worth store. The gentleman explained that they were trying to prevent another instance of the "numerous" shootings that have occurred when CC people pulled their weapon to stop a robbery and shot innocent bystanders. I also politely contacted their customer service with my 30.06 concern. They were nice and said they were logging all the calls; but, currently have no plans to change their policy.

Sounds like more business for Amazon.

rentz

Post by rentz »

OldAg wrote:I tried to talk to the south Fort Worth store. The gentleman explained that they were trying to prevent another instance of the "numerous" shootings that have occurred when CC people pulled their weapon to stop a robbery and shot innocent bystanders. I also politely contacted their customer service with my 30.06 concern. They were nice and said they were logging all the calls; but, currently have no plans to change their policy.

Where are examples of these numerous instances? :mrgreen:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 8

Post by WildBill »

rentz wrote:
OldAg wrote:I tried to talk to the south Fort Worth store. The gentleman explained that they were trying to prevent another instance of the "numerous" shootings that have occurred when CC people pulled their weapon to stop a robbery and shot innocent bystanders. I also politely contacted their customer service with my 30.06 concern. They were nice and said they were logging all the calls; but, currently have no plans to change their policy.

Obviously they are too numerous to numerate. :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

WildBill wrote:
rentz wrote:

Obviously they are too numerous to numerate. :biggrinjester:

Sounds like Susan must have mocha lattes with the MDA girls one too many times that sound just like a line out of their propaganda. We know too well that if a CHL holder shot an innocent bystander, the media would have a field day.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”