I got a 30.06 sign removed!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Sport Coach
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I got a 30.06 sign removed!

Post by Sport Coach »

Thank you for providing your letter for an example and others for suggestions. I'm in the process of writing a similar letter, but to my CEO at work since they posted both 30.06 and 30.07 signs earlier this year. After looking more closely I saw the two laws are actually posted on one sign so I hope I can write a letter that persuades common sense change so they don't see it as too much hassle to change or replace the current sign.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Acronym Esq
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Acronym Esq »

imkopaka wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:43 pm ... Obviously I'm not going to give my business to someone who won't let me carry, but I couldn't just stop going. I had to make sure they knew I wasn't going, and that they understood why. I sent the attached letter to the owner and a week later the 30.06 sign came down! Feel free to alter and use this letter to your liking...
Thanks for sharing your letter imkopaka.

My letter ended up being similar. I removed your "jump into the line of fire" argument. After your paragraph listing the requirements to get a license, I added:
acronym's letter wrote: <imkopaka's list of license requirements>(2)
In 2017, there were 44,608 criminal convictions in Texas. Of those convictions, only 170 were license holders.(3) Given the requirements that over 1.2 million people satisfied to become licensed,(4) that low number is not surprising.
Perhaps you’d like to warn unlicensed people from illegally carrying a gun at your place of business.(5) In that case, I suggest using a classic “Gun Buster” sign with a red circle and a line through it. These signs do not apply to license holders. Then again, someone illegally carrying a handgun may choose to ignore such a sign.
I’d like to respectfully ask that you remove the 30.06 sign from your business. License holders care about the law and look for those signs. Your sign excludes the kind of state certified, good men and women that most businesses appreciate. I don’t think many of them took the time to write a letter like I did. But like them, I can’t come back while the sign is up.

Footnotes:
(2) TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE § 411.172; page 5, https://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms ... LTC-16.pdf
(3) Page 4, https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/Repor ... rt2017.pdf
(4) Page 1, https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/LTC/repor ... tr2017.pdf
(5) see TEXAS PENAL CODE § 30.05(D) criminal trespass with a deadly weapon is a class A misdemeanor but also TEXAS PENAL CODE § 46.02(B) unlicensed carry of handgun is a class A misdemeanor.
I hope that including citations to the DPS might interest a reader in their own LTC. I substituted "gun buster" discussion with 30.07 discussion. Also, I was a little more direct about asking for the removal of the sign.

acronym 11/20/2018 9:26 AM

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

Acronym Esq wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 am
imkopaka wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:43 pm ... Obviously I'm not going to give my business to someone who won't let me carry, but I couldn't just stop going. I had to make sure they knew I wasn't going, and that they understood why. I sent the attached letter to the owner and a week later the 30.06 sign came down! Feel free to alter and use this letter to your liking...

My letter ended up being similar.
It worked. My auto shop took their signs down and replaced them with a gun buster.

acronym 3/7/2019 8:27 AM

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Acronym Esq wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:28 am
Acronym Esq wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 am

My letter ended up being similar.
It worked. My auto shop took their signs down and replaced them with a gun buster.

acronym 3/7/2019 8:27 AM
Good work!
Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”