CHL holder shoots dog

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
newlife12176
Posts in topic: 4

CHL holder shoots dog

Post by newlife12176 »

I thought I would post this topic tonight considering I've read many posts on this forum over the years about shooting dogs in self defense AND defending your own dog from another aggressive dog. In addition to this, I am now an animal control officer working for the city of Fort Worth. I worked a bite case this week where FWPD was called to the scene after a man shot and killed an aggressive Boxer. The man was walking his own dog on a leash when this unrestrained Boxer attacked his little terrier. The guy tried breaking up the dog fight by kicking the Boxer and was bitten in the leg (very minor injuries). The dog was not aggressive towards the man, just his dog. When I arrived on scene 2 FWPD officers were there, the dogs owner (it escaped the backyard) and the dog was covered up by a blanket. The shooter was not on scene as he took his dog to the vet. He did come back an hr later to sign some paperwork for me. PD called him back to the scene. Apparently this guy was carrying his .45 1911 with him on his walk. PD told me he had his CHL. He put one through the dogs chest because if he didn't, his dog would be dead. PD didn't bat an eyelash. I know there has been debate about this subject before. I even have asked about it several years ago. I've read people say you would be found criminally liable and read people say otherwise. I've learned there is an actual health and safety code that allows for this. If anyone is interested it's... (Of course Rick Perry knows it well)
Texas Health and Safety Code 822.013

(a) A dog or coyote that is attacking, is about to attack, or has recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may be killed by:
(1) any person witnessing the attack; or
(2) the attacked animal's owner or a person acting on behalf of the owner if the owner or person has knowledge of the attack.
(b) A person who kills a dog or coyote as provided by this section is not liable for damages to the owner, keeper, or person in control of the dog or coyote.
(c) A person who discovers on the person's property a dog or coyote known or suspected of having killed livestock, domestic animals, or fowls may detain or impound the dog or coyote and return it to its owner or deliver the dog or coyote to the local animal control authority. The owner of the dog or coyote is liable for all costs incurred in the capture and care of the dog or coyote and all damage done by the dog or coyote.
(d) The owner, keeper, or person in control of a dog or coyote that is known to have attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowls shall control the dog or coyote in a manner approved by the local animal control authority.
(e) A person is not required to acquire a hunting license under Section 42.002, Parks and Wildlife Code, to kill a dog or coyote under this section.
- See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/ ... LRB0V.dpuf

OlBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL holder shoots dog

Post by OlBill »

Thanks for sharing. It always saddens me when this happens. It's usually the fault of the owner.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Sad for the dog but it appears it was justified.

I think what most people get upset about is when a cop goes to the wrong house or enters a backyard where the dog is and then shoots the dog that is standing there barking at them. There is a huge difference between a loose dog that is actually attacking and one that is one their own property barking at a stranger.

As an animal control officer, I hope you acknowledge not all barking dogs are aggressive and going to attack.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Sad case, but what are you gonna do? I love boxers. My dog is a boxer/lab mix, and my granddog is a boxer. Both are sweet animals with people they know, and they really are NOT what you would call vicious dogs, but both are capable of aggression if crowded by someone they don't know. I would hate to think of either one getting shot for being aggressive with someone else, but if we don't keep them properly controlled around strangers, that is always a possibility, however remote. It would be our faults.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

mojo84 wrote:Sad for the dog but it appears it was justified.

I think what most people get upset about is when a cop goes to the wrong house or enters a backyard where the dog is and then shoots the dog that is standing there barking at them. There is a huge difference between a loose dog that is actually attacking and one that is one their own property barking at a stranger.

As an animal control officer, I hope you acknowledge not all barking dogs are aggressive and going to attack.

Agreed....!

If this accounting is correct...then it was surely justified. Equally sad however.

I believe the second part of this post is spot on too. :thumbs2:

I am a long time member here and can not recall anyone objecting to a clear incident of a person protecting themselves or their pet. There have been some 'questionable' shootings over the years, but those have been addressed.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

nyj

Post by nyj »

That sucks. My boxer is the sweetest dog and loves every other dog. Not sure what possessed this dog to do that, but unfortunate.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Javier730 »

mojo84 wrote:Sad for the dog but it appears it was justified.

Yup big difference between an aggressive dog loose on the streets and a territorial dog guarding his property.

It's very upsetting when police go to the wrong house, hop the fence, and put down a dog who is just doing their job.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

#Justice4Fido
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

16Adams

Post by 16Adams »

I walk solo, with my small dog and ride my bike many miles per week. Over the years I have been charged multiple times by small and large dogs and a weird cat. I currently carry Mace Pepper Gel and previously carried regular pepper spray and have used it three times. OC Pepper Spray and Gel worked well in my situation.

Distinguished Rick

Post by Distinguished Rick »

I own 2 dogs, a Boston terrier and a pug and walk them daily. I don't ever want to shoot another dog but would if it came to that. When we walk them I carry a 3 cell Maglight and some spray. My weapon is the third and last option.
CHL holder since 1996.
USMC Shooting Team 1985 - 1988
Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
"People sleep peacefully at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

A sad outcome for sure but once a dog attacks, sad outcomes are almost inevitable.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

We have a coyote that took up residents behind our house (in the green belt) a few days ago. I have a 120 pound chocolate lab but my wife has a horrible little dog that would make a nice snack.

I may try to give him a little kiss with my pellet gun if he comes up to the fence again.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

RBH,

Coyotes will eat cats and small dogs.

I've actually seen a cat (dead) in a coyotes mouth while out cycling just before dawn in a suburb, near Ellington Field.

Thing is, I think Coyotes are beautiful animals and wish them no harm.

To make certain your dogs/cats aren't threatened by them never let your critters roam free.

Ruark
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ruark »

Abraham wrote:Thing is, I think Coyotes are beautiful animals and wish them no harm.
Well, buddy, as someone who has raised livestock, I tend to disagree. I've had coyotes run up to a ewe giving birth, yank the lambs out of the uterus and run off with them. Or when a calf is being born and just its face is sticking out, they'll rush up and tear off its eyes, mouth and tongue, and sometimes the mother's too. Sometimes a coyote will grab a newborn lamb and, instead of killing it, take it back to the nest where the coyote pups can practice their "killing skills" on it. This consists of spending several days playing a 3-way tug-of-war with the lamb, until all of its legs are ripped off and it dies from blood loss. Coyotes are horrible, horrible, horrible animals.

The only good coyote is a dead coyote. A 257 Weatherby hollow point makes a nice 30-foot spray pattern.
-Ruark

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

nightmare69 wrote:#Justice4Fido
Paws up, don't bite..... "rlol" "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”