Houston Livestock Show/Rodeo to Prohibit OC

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Houston Livestock Show/Rodeo to Prohibit OC

Post by MeMelYup »

This is the part that grips me to no end.
“It’s our goal to promote a family-friendly atmosphere,” said Cowley. “We don’t think the private carry of handguns is conducive to that.”"

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 9

Post by anygunanywhere »

There really ought to be a better way to get the AG to turn these situations back on these jerks.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by RossA »

You mean to force the AG to do his job?
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pariah3j »

RossA wrote:You mean to force the AG to do his job?
I don't think that's fair to Paxton - he is busy and has done some great things. But he does seem to be holding back on going after municipalities. Maybe he's giving them a chance to get familiar with the law. I don't know - it is frustrating but at the same time but I won't accuse the man of not doing is job.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

mr1337
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mr1337 »

Pariah3j wrote:
I don't think that's fair to Paxton - he is busy and has done some great things. But he does seem to be holding back on going after municipalities. Maybe he's giving them a chance to get familiar with the law. I don't know - it is frustrating but at the same time but I won't accuse the man of not doing is job.
Education of the law is built-in. Citizens educate the municipality and they have 3 days to look it up and take down the sign and/or change their policy.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 9

Post by anygunanywhere »

mr1337 wrote:
Pariah3j wrote:
Education of the law is built-in. Citizens educate the municipality and they have 3 days to look it up and take down the sign and/or change their policy.
I would think all it would take would be a phone call from the AG office to whatever city/county person in charge to get things done. I am certain there are enough members of this forum who would flood a 800 number to report illegal signs.

Leave it to legislatures and lawyers to make things complicated and end up not getting the intent of laws accomplished.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

RossA wrote:Long ago the rodeo ceased to be a Texas event. It is now just a big business run by big businessmen. They tout how much money they give away in scholarships, but do they ever open their books so that you can see what percentage of their money goes to the stated purpose?
Not necessarily arguing the first two sentences at all. However, any 501(c)(3) must make its IRS Form 990 and schedules public. That isn't to say some things could still be muddied, but most of the big ticket items are out there to look at. HLSR is comprised, I believe, of at least six different 501(c)(3) corporations and, yes, their unrestricted net assets are pretty impressive: about 200% of annual total operating expenses, which is a larger-than-typical reserve.

If anyone wants to dig, here are a couple places to start:
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

RossA wrote:Long ago the rodeo ceased to be a Texas event. It is now just a big business run by big businessmen. They tout how much money they give away in scholarships, but do they ever open their books so that you can see what percentage of their money goes to the stated purpose?
The Rodeo donates what it claims and there's no evidence to the contrary. The executive committee is wrong about the signs.

Chas.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

2017: get rid of 46.035 so none of this matters.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

mr1337
Posts in topic: 8

Post by mr1337 »

AJSully421 wrote:2017: get rid of 46.035 so none of this matters.
:iagree:

But also let's let the AG sue the snot out of the city/county/whoever lets these signs remain in violation of state law. :smash: :txflag:
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Scott in Houston »

My wife is believing the media reports. I'm telling her that I can CC on the grounds. We've bet $100.

I may be the "test case". It's worth the $100.

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Divided Attention »

Committee member posted that there will be metal detectors at all entrances to the Livestock Show.
:roll:
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 21

Post by Scott in Houston »

Divided Attention wrote:Committee member posted that there will be metal detectors at all entrances to the Livestock Show.
:roll:
That's not new. There always have been.
You just showed your CHL to the LEO working the gates and you were let through.

In re-reading your post... The actual livestock show is a grey area. It could be seen as an "educational event" as it's mostly students, etc.
The initial entrances to the fair grounds have always had detectors as did the entrance to the Rodeo itself, but never the Live Stock Show.

Dan20703
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dan20703 »

If anyone from this forum attends the BBQ Cookoff on Thursday February 25th please let us know if concealed carry is allowed. I plan on attending the 26th as the designated driver for some friends and would like to know if I can carry as usual.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

TexasCajun
Posts in topic: 25

Post by TexasCajun »

If the HLSR leadership is on record stating that they will prohibit carry on the rodeo grounds (declaring publicly that they intend to break the law) & the county isn't stepping in, couldn't the AG's office immediately take action?
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”