Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6560
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

#61

Post by Pawpaw » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:09 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I'm thinking of filing a false / misleading advertising complaint with the AG given that this new Dallas Amusement park is using the name "zoo" in their title, when they are, in fact merely a low end amusement park. Probably wouldn't get far but might be interesting to see the response.
I wonder about their contract. Did the city of Dallas contract with the management company to run a zoo or an amusement park?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Bashful
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: Baytown

Re: Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

#62

Post by Bashful » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:19 pm

I don't know if it's been posted yet... but here's Paxton's web site which has the 30.06 ruling letters sent from his office.

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/30 ... ng-letters
Springfield EMP Lightweight Champion
Glock(s)
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member


doncb
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:49 am

Re: Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

#63

Post by doncb » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:09 am

If I understood the news last night, Dallas is negotiating with the same management company that runs the Dallas zoo to run Fair Park. If they do you can rest assured that signs WILL go up.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.


Soccerdad1995
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 3903
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:03 pm

Re: Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

#64

Post by Soccerdad1995 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:15 pm

After thinking this through, there is a fairly concerning precedent here. What is to stop any large City from putting a few small rides on any plot of 75 acres or more and calling it an amusement park?

In substance these would clearly not be amusement parks, but then neither is the Dallas zoo. They clearly market themselves as a zoo, not an amusement park.

This may require a legislative solution. Simple fix, just eliminate the amusement park loophole entirely, along with the day care and educational institution loopholes.
Ding dong, the witch is dead

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1450
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

#65

Post by Lynyrd » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:00 pm

Maybe, just maybe, if you could crawl deep inside the mind of the decision makers at the Dallas Zoo you might find that they are worried that somehow an animal might be killed. I know this is a stretch, but they don't think like we do.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

User avatar

ScottDLS
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 4703
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:04 am
Location: DFW Area, TX

Re: Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

#66

Post by ScottDLS » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:01 pm

Soccerdad1995 wrote:After thinking this through, there is a fairly concerning precedent here. What is to stop any large City from putting a few small rides on any plot of 75 acres or more and calling it an amusement park?

In substance these would clearly not be amusement parks, but then neither is the Dallas zoo. They clearly market themselves as a zoo, not an amusement park.

This may require a legislative solution. Simple fix, just eliminate the amusement park loophole entirely, along with the day care and educational institution loopholes.
There is no day care loophole...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"


Rrash
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:25 am
Location: McKinney

Re: Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

#67

Post by Rrash » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:00 am

The monorail isn't open 120 days a year because it keeps breaking down.


truckster
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:53 am
Location: Prosper, Tejas

Re: Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

#68

Post by truckster » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:26 am

TreyHouston wrote:This is very discouraging. I im not afraid of the monkies attacking i mainly carry for the parking lot adventure. A few months ago a terrorist was arested in houston, he was planning to blow up the galeria. Now, i would think that in a large public place that more people that could stop a guy with a bomb would be a good thing.
I am NOT looking forward to the day we can say, "I told you"!
How are you going to stop a guy with a bomb? Usually people planting bombs for terroristic intentions don't advertise that they're carrying or planting one. I understand the point you're trying to get across but you used a very poor example to do so.

Good day

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6560
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

#69

Post by Pawpaw » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:48 pm

truckster wrote:How are you going to stop a guy with a bomb? Usually people planting bombs for terroristic intentions don't advertise that they're carrying or planting one. I understand the point you're trying to get across but you used a very poor example to do so.
There are examples of it happening:
Friday February 22, 2002

Alert customer shoots terrorist in Efrat supermarket

By The Jerusalem Post Internet Staff

An alert customer shot dead a terrorist who tried to set off an
explosive device in a supermarket a few minutes ago in Efrat. The town
is in Gush Etzion, a block of Jewish communities in Judea, south of
Bethlehem.

At least one small explosion did take place, leaving one customer
lightly wounded but causing no casualties, said Jerusalem Post reporter
Margot Dudkevitch. Nails from one of the explosions littered the floor.

Further tragedy was averted when a woman shopping in the packed
supermarket apparently saw the terrorist trying to set off a second
explosion and shot him twice in the head from close range.

A police source told Israel Radio the terrorist apparently intended to
detonate a small bomb in the supermarket and then blow himself up with
the explosive belt when police forces came to the scene.

The terrorist was a Palestinian who had a permit allowing him to work in
Efrat, Israel Radio reported.

Sources in Bethlehem revealed the terrorist was Muhammad Ashimali, 22,
from the village Adoha, south of Bethlehem.

Ashimali wanted to be a martyr, his father said.
The circumstances of the attack are still being investigated.

- See more at: http://www.wagc.com/woman-in-israel-gun ... fDikA.dpuf
http://www.wagc.com/woman-in-israel-gun ... -02-22-02/
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member


TreyHouston
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1821
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Location: Tomball

Re: Dallas Zoo’s gun ban found to be legal by Texas AG

#70

Post by TreyHouston » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Pawpaw wrote:
truckster wrote:How are you going to stop a guy with a bomb? Usually people planting bombs for terroristic intentions don't advertise that they're carrying or planting one. I understand the point you're trying to get across but you used a very poor example to do so.
There are examples of it happening:
Friday February 22, 2002

Alert customer shoots terrorist in Efrat supermarket

By The Jerusalem Post Internet Staff

An alert customer shot dead a terrorist who tried to set off an
explosive device in a supermarket a few minutes ago in Efrat. The town
is in Gush Etzion, a block of Jewish communities in Judea, south of
Bethlehem.

At least one small explosion did take place, leaving one customer
lightly wounded but causing no casualties, said Jerusalem Post reporter
Margot Dudkevitch. Nails from one of the explosions littered the floor.

Further tragedy was averted when a woman shopping in the packed
supermarket apparently saw the terrorist trying to set off a second
explosion and shot him twice in the head from close range.

A police source told Israel Radio the terrorist apparently intended to
detonate a small bomb in the supermarket and then blow himself up with
the explosive belt when police forces came to the scene.

The terrorist was a Palestinian who had a permit allowing him to work in
Efrat, Israel Radio reported.

Sources in Bethlehem revealed the terrorist was Muhammad Ashimali, 22,
from the village Adoha, south of Bethlehem.

Ashimali wanted to be a martyr, his father said.
The circumstances of the attack are still being investigated.

- See more at: http://www.wagc.com/woman-in-israel-gun ... fDikA.dpuf
http://www.wagc.com/woman-in-israel-gun ... -02-22-02/


Thanks for getting my back! In the military i was always told infantry can never take out a tank! My team took out 3 for this great nation! Never underestimate persons ability.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Post Reply

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”